Constant Updates REALLY ANNOYING

Userlevel 2
Who else is getting sick and tired of constant requirement to reconfig and update Sonos Controller SW. Im a LONG TIME Sonos use, love the simplicity, but the bugginess/constant need to upgrade every time I use my Sonos is ruining my experience. Yes I've maybe 10+ devices connected but still. Who's with me?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We release updates to add in new features, and fixes. Many of these features are requests from customers. There's no way to add features to the system without updating it. You can, however, choose to disable updates on your system to prevent update messages. Over time, however, some functions may cease to work as music services update their security protocols, for example.

There are 2 steps to disabling updates. You can first do so within the Sonos app's settings menu, under the system updates menu. This will prevent your speakers from checking for updates periodically. The second step is to go into the settings on your controllers (all of them), and disable automatic updates in the app stores. This will prevent your controllers from checking for updates from time to time. If any controller on your system checks for updates, the system itself will acknowledge an update and prompt you to do so. If any of your speakers or controllers update, there will be limited functionality until they are all updated as the system is not designed to run on multiple versions at once.

My assertions are the evidence, and they correlate with others posting the same issues. I've contacted support and they've told me the update frequency is normal, and that sometimes the connections will have to be reestablished. Therein lies the problem =>> too many updates. I'd have less frustration with the issue of connectivity, if the updates took place quarterly, but when they come in twice in a two week period - that's ridiculous.

No onus on my end.

10.1 was released yesterday. 10.0 was released January 29. 9.3, the previous release, was November 28 of last year. That's at least two months between each, not a "couple of weeks".

So there's one piece of drivel.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Hi folks,

We release updates to add in new features, and fixes. Many of these features are requests from customers. There's no way to add features to the system without updating it. You can, however, choose to disable updates on your system to prevent update messages. Over time, however, some functions may cease to work as music services update their security protocols, for example.

There are 2 steps to disabling updates. You can first do so within the Sonos app's settings menu, under the system updates menu. This will prevent your speakers from checking for updates periodically. The second step is to go into the settings on your controllers (all of them), and disable automatic updates in the app stores. This will prevent your controllers from checking for updates from time to time. If any controller on your system checks for updates, the system itself will acknowledge an update and prompt you to do so. If any of your speakers or controllers update, there will be limited functionality until they are all updated as the system is not designed to run on multiple versions at once.

Really? There are no options on the Desktop PC or the CR200 to disable auto-updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Really? There are no options on the Desktop PC or the CR200 to disable auto-updates.

The setting is system wide. You'll need to use a smartphone to access the system update settings, in the settings menu. Once set, this will stop each of the speakers on your system, the desktop controller, and also the CR200, from checking automatically for updates.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The setting is system wide. You'll need to use a smartphone to access the system update settings, in the settings menu. Once set, this will stop each of the speakers on your system, the desktop controller, and also the CR200, from checking automatically for updates.

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

10.1 was released yesterday. 10.0 was released January 29. 9.3, the previous release, was November 28 of last year. That's at least two months between each, not a "couple of weeks".

If you would slow down to read more carefully, you'd see that I never indicated that every update comes on a precise, two week schedule. I do recall at least one instance in which two updates came in a very short period of time. I did not have a shot clock in my hand. As it stands, an update every 8 weeks is ridiculous. For those of us playing along at home, that's at least 6 times per year that our systems can go haywire, forcing us to run all over the building to reestablish connections, all so we can have another 23 languages or to lessen the possibility that some hacker could take over the world by assuming control of my system. So thank you for providing further evidence of my claim.

There are too many updates. I'm not the only one who feels that way. Read through the other threads on the same complaint, and you'll see that.
Badge +7
Fair enough, but are you now going to take Jeff's recommendation and disable updates on your devices?

If not, that does actually place onus on you because you would be making a conscious decision to accept (and tolerate) the updates.

We have to pick one side of the fence, and that decision can only be made by the end user.

Cheers!

If you would slow down to read more carefully, you'd see that I never indicated that every update comes on a precise, two week schedule. I do recall at least one instance in which two updates came in a very short period of time. I did not have a shot clock in my hand. As it stands, an update every 8 weeks is ridiculous. For those of us playing along at home, that's at least 6 times per year that our systems can go haywire, forcing us to run all over the building to reestablish connections, all so we can have another 23 languages or to lessen the possibility that some hacker could take over the world by assuming control of my system. So thank you for providing further evidence of my claim.

There are too many updates. I'm not the only one who feels that way. Read through the other threads on the same complaint, and you'll see that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can head into the app's settings menu, then go to system updates, to schedule updates so that they happen overnight if you want to keep your system up to date, but don't want to deal with the update message and waiting for updates to complete. If you're running into troubles updating then I'd recommend reaching out to our phone team who can help troubleshoot the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not the only one who feels that way. Read through the other threads on the same complaint, and you'll see that.
There are at least 8 million Sonos households. If only 1% of Sonos users were to complain about an issue with update frequency, it would essentially be the only topic on this forum.

My Sonos updates proceed quickly and smoothly across two houses, 100% of the time. This is true for the vast majority of Sonos users, most of whom never come near this forum. You have underlying network issues that you need to resolve (*). Sonos support may be able to help with this.

(*) Let's avoid the usual glib response that 'all my other network devices work OK'. Sonos requires inter-device communication that will expose network issues to a greater extent than most other devices. But this is still a network issue, not a Sonos issue.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
[quote=pwt] ... But this is still a network issue, not a Sonos issue.

Sonos updates every few weeks. That's a Sonos issue, not a network issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
... But this is still a network issue, not a Sonos issue.

I like the frequency of updates: good balance of new features being delivered versus time required to update. However, my networks work properly. I humbly suggest you focus on the root cause of your complaint.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
... But this is still a network issue, not a Sonos issue.

I like the frequency of updates: good balance of new features being delivered versus time required to update. However, my networks work properly. I humbly suggest you should focus on the root cause of your complaint.

The root cause of my complaint is that Sonos updates come too frequently. A quick google search of "forced updates sonos" or "sonos update frequency" will treat you to dozens of threads from irate users who also share my sentiment that the updates come too frequently. There is no reason for updates to come out more than a few times per year - nothing is that imperative that updates need to be doled out in tiny portions. Every month or two, or in some cases ever few weeks, is ridiculous. Save up the updates and roll them out when there's enough to justify it. That's all I'm saying. I have no idea why Sonos feels the need to update so frequently.
1/ Sonos updates for all kinds of reasons: software features, security fixes, new hardware support. As noted, of late the system updates have been at roughly two-month intervals.
2/ You can turn them off. Jeff has explained in detail.
3/ If updates are causing disruption you do have network issues.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
1/ Sonos updates for all kinds of reasons: software features, security fixes, new hardware support. As noted, of late the system updates have been at roughly two-month intervals.
2/ You can turn them off. Jeff has explained in detail.
3/ If updates are causing disruption you do have network issues.

Sonos are speakers. They play music (at least that's what they're supposed to do). There is ZERO reason to continuously update every month or two, or even sooner. Spread them out and these threads would go away. I'm one of the more tame complainants. I've read hilarious threads from people coming unglued from the constant updates. I have businesses to run, and I don't have time to constantly fiddle with updates, and when they're shut off, it eventually forces you to update and locks you out of the app, so that really isn't a solution. The solution is for Sonos to realize that their app is supposed to blend into the background and do what it did years ago, which was to simply "work." My first Sonos system rarely updated and rarely encountered any issues. It played music no worse than my current system, which is far more annoying.

Sonos needs to update less frequently - that's the simple matter of fact.

And what did we get from 10.1? "Performance and reliability improvements." Whoop-dee-doo.

Sonos are speakers. They play music (at least that's what they're supposed to do). There is ZERO reason to continuously update every month or two, or even sooner.
You bought an internet connected, software driven system and expected it never to update? Wow. Of all the threads complaining about updates, there are just as many threads on this community with members screaming for updates (Google Assistant, DTS, virtual grouping, you name it). Even if Sonos has no reason to update, the music services that work with Sonos, or the platforms that Sonos runs on, may demand updates. I wouldn't want to hear the complaints if Sonos decided not to update something, and suddenly Android controllers stopped functioning, or TuneIn no longer worked.

I don't have time to constantly fiddle with updates
It's been said a number of times now: if updates are causing issues, you most likely have a network problem. I have automatic updates on, and I don't even notice if there's been an update.

Sonos needs to update less frequently - that's the simple matter of fact.
You seem to be confusing the opinion of a few people with fact.
Sonos are speakers. No, they're Linux computers. Last time I looked, Microsoft was updating my computer once a month as well. And that's before one considers the phone apps which seem to have updates virtually every day.

But no argument will be sufficient to convince you. Turn off Sonos updates. As I will now turn off notifications from this thread.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos are speakers. No, they're Linux computers. Last time I looked, Microsoft was updating my computer once a month as well. And that's before one considers the phone apps which seem to have updates virtually every day.

But no argument will be sufficient to convince you. Turn off Sonos updates. As I will now turn off notifications from this thread.

Allow me to rephrase: "Sonos function as speakers." They play music. For comparison, Microsoft's operating systems deal with tens of millions of lines of code, and must fend off constant security threats. Now I could be mistaken, but I have my doubts that there are legions of Chinese and Korean hackers holed up trying to create the next big security disaster by infiltrating my Sonos system and forcing me to listen to Jojo Siwa on 24 hour loop. There is no need for the constant updates. You can spin it however you'd like, but it doesn't change that.
How wonderfully short sighted (again).

In case you didn't know, Linux is an OS as well, and deals with many of the same complexities as Microsofts OS'. Android (monthly security updates) runs on a Linux kernel.

Smartphones (you know, the thing that your Sonos app runs on?) and IoT devices are the new big targets for hackers. Access to your Sonos system, almost automatically means access to your network. Do you think that someone who has gained access to your network through Sonos, will stop at forcing you to listen to bad music?

Same here
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
How wonderfully short sighted (again).

In case you didn't know, Linux is an OS as well, and deals with many of the same complexities as Microsofts OS'. Android (monthly security updates) runs on a Linux kernel.

I am aware that Linux is an OS, thanks, but Linux is not distributing Sonos' updates, Sonos is. If you don't know how to distinguish between an app, and the OS that it runs on, I can't help you. I've written extensively for iOS and Mac OS, so I know a thing or two about software engineering. I also know that one thing that annoys end users most is unnecessary interaction, whether it be clicks, swipes, pushes, or in this case, unnecessary updates that come too frequently.

As I've said numerous times - the updates come too frequently. If you want updates every 30 minutes, perhaps Sonos is the magical app for you, I don't know. For the rest of the world, who would rather use the app instead of update it, fewer, more-signifiant updates would be better.
You were just told that Sonos are not just dumb speakers. but computers that run Linux. And when I refer to that, you claim I don't understand the difference between an app and an OS?
Apparently, you are unable to grasp the difference between the Sonos app and the underlying ecosystem it controls. The app is just there to control the rest, so its updates come as frequent as the ecosystem demands it. And the ecosystem is as complex as any Linux system may be and therefore warrants frequent updating.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Okay, my last one here:
You were just told that Sonos are not just dumb speakers. but computers that run Linux. And when I refer to that, you claim I don't understand the difference between an app and an OS?
Apparently, you are unable to grasp the difference between the Sonos app and the underlying ecosystem it controls. The app is just there to control the rest, so its updates come as frequent as the ecosystem demands it. And the ecosystem is as complex as any Linux system may be and therefore warrants frequent updating.

"Hey Bob, I heard you were looking for a great new computer. Perhaps you should consider a Sonos. It can do EVERYTHING! Well not everything, I mean, well actually all it can do is play music. Maybe you'd be better off just getting a Surface or a MacBook Pro or something." -Said no one EVER.

Linux code has never forced my Sonos app to update. That comes from Sonos. Please don't try to tell me that Linux developers are responsible for Sonos dropping updates every month or two. We both know that's nonsense.

No app, particularly one that controls devices that do only one thing - play recorded sounds - needs to be updated every 4-8 weeks. I have software that runs multimillion dollar lasers and it gets updated perhaps twice per year, if that. These are speakers with a computer in them, not a computer with a speaker in them. Their intended purpose is to play music - nothing more. When they start doing my taxes or writing reports for me, maybe I'll be open to more frequent updates.

Actually, I won't.
The level of updates is getting beyond a joke, most of my system is simply used for the home cinema in the living room and thats fine as i obviously never need to open the app for that but it seems everytime i open the app to play something from a connected service like audible or music services (every 3 -4 weeks approx) the app tells me theres an update and prevents me from playing from any service until i update.

During updates sound is lost on all speakers including the home cinema set up, so I cant update there and then as that would disrupt the rest of the families viewing, when all I wanted to do was on my studies play 1 was chillout.

To be honest I often now just play direct on my phones speaker and give up on playing direct on my sonos play1.

At the very least allow us to hold off on updates but usually its update now if you want to do anything with the app like play anything to your speakers.

I literally today again went to demo the system to a colleague who had called round and again it wouldnt let me do anything without updating...asked by said colleague do i recommend Sonos, I paused and realised in all honesty i couldnt, not anymore.

The sound is great but the forced updates preventing you from doing much until you update meant that for the first time ever I said no.

In fact I told him to avoid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The sound is great but the forced updates preventing you from doing much until you update meant that for the first time ever I said no.
Why not just set your system to update automatically, and schedule the updates for overnight?
(Settings | System Updates | Automatic Updates).
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
There has been more updates than noted above (10.0, 10.1 etc.)
I seem to recall a 10.0.2 and 10.0.3 and probably more?
My first Sonos system rarely updated and rarely encountered any issues. It played music no worse than my current system, which is far more annoying.

This, I agree, with my systems dating back to 2011. I wonder why the big increase in frequency though I suspect a significant part of this is a vicious cycle of being driven by more frequent updates.
The only useful thing I got from all updates since 2011 is Trueplay. All else has been noise and a loss of the Dock and features in the Mac controller. Not a big nuisance because my systems are set up for a long time now to update without any glitches, and I have learnt to live with the latter mentioned losses as the price to be paid for Sonos. I go through a lot of pain to update my Mac OS every couple of months, and though I don't like it, I suppose it allows the Mac to remain risk free for the various online things I do with it like net banking, shopping and the like. I have no similar worries about Sonos to feel that frequent updates are worth the bother.
My experience with Echo Dots is different; I have a feeling it updates even more frequently, but I never know when it is doing that, so I don't care. Does Sonos have an option to be as intervention free as that where updates are concerned? From seeing the need to input my Mac password in the Sonos controller update process, I think not.