Answered

Connecting Play 5 Gen 1 to S2 system

• 12 February 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

How can I connect my Gen 1 Play 5 to the S2 system with my other speakers? I’m looking to have them all play the same music or source.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 February 2021, 16:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately the Play:5 (Gen 1) is not compatible with the S2 app.

If you don’t have an Arc, Five, or Sub (Gen 3), you can switch back to the S1 app so you can use your Play:5 together with your other speakers.

Read more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

Badge +1

Thanks for the information. I was really hoping that there would be a way to have this happen. I appreciate your quick reply to the question.

Userlevel 7

@SoundMan236 If you decide to revert back to S1, be sure you read this first:

“While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product that is not S2 compatible is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.”

Badge +1

How would my 2 One’s and PlayBar perform when using S1 on the downgrade?    What happens if they have an upgrade on the S1 system. Will it ask for them to switch to the S2 system?

How would my 2 One’s and PlayBar perform when using S1 on the downgrade?    What happens if they have an upgrade on the S1 system. Will it ask for them to switch to the S2 system?

They would be fine.  S1 updates are just security patches and bug fixes.  This is not the same as upgrading to S2

Badge +1

Sounds great! Thanks again for your input. I’ll put that into action...if there is no change to the sound.

Sounds great! Thanks again for your input. I’ll put that into action...if there is no change to the sound.

There is no difference in sound quality between S1 and S2.  You might consider using your trade in credit to get a Sonos Five, though and you could sell the gen1 Play:5 if you wished.  The Five is a significantly better speaker than the Play:5 gen 1.

Badge +1

Understood, I will consider that.