Question

Connecting other speakers to Sonos Controller

• 3 February 2017
  • 8 replies

I used to have 9 play:5 speakers connected to my network. However, earlier this week we had a network outage and the wifi had went down. Ever since the outage when it was resolved the controller did not show all the speakers. Now I blew out the old setup to try and reconfigure them again, but it can get one on and it won't let me add another.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Connection problems can appear after a network outage, the typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These happen because the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is already in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
OUCH! I guess I will try and see if I can get that done tonight. Seems a bit crazy.....
Ok so i was able to get another one connected to the network. However, it says that there isn't sufficient network speeds error message. I just did a speed test to my network and I am pulling 100/100. The speakers play for 5 seconds and cut out. I am going to follow the restart process stated above . But has anyone seen this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sounds like there might be wireless interference causing trouble there. If you'd like to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number we can take a look. Also, you could try wiring in a player to see if that helps it show up.

Another good way to go is to change the wireless channel on your Sonos devices (if you're using the Sonos dedicated WiFi by having a device wired in).

Let us know how it goes.
Sorry, unnecessary post. jgatie and Ryan S. have you covered.
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. The confirmation number is 7067181.

I am going to do the complete restart of the firewall and all the devices as stated above by JGATIE and see if that works. I like the idea of having them wireless because during company happy hour we put them all together and blast the music in the office.

Regards,

Reinaldo
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's definitely a lot of wireless networks in the area, and I'm seeing a lot of interference. Also, it looks like there are a couple networks with the same name on different wireless channels, that could confuse things to be sure. I'd recommend wiring in a couple players to get everything connected and from there see about rebuilding the network you're going to be on.

You may need to check the wireless channels on your router to see about cleaning them up a bit with the environment. From the snapshot, channel 11 looked to be the best but none looked amazing.
The wireless networks I would expect being that the office is in NYC. One of them has guest and the other doesn't they are different SSID's.

Everything worked fine until the outage at the beginning of the week. I will look into working on rebooting the network completely tonight after assigning IP's to the speakers via the firewall and see if that resolves the issue. The network has been the same and nothing has changed out than that outage we had.

I will post to let you guys know if that fixes it.