Answered

connecting new laptop to excisting sonos system

• 21 September 2018
  • 4 replies

My old laptop died today and I was using sonos through that. I have downloaded the app on another laptop which was fine but it cant find the speakers, however I have connected my mobile successfully at the same time. as the new laptop is using the wi-fi already I don't understand why it cant find the speakers?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 21 September 2018, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Is your laptop definitely on the same network as your Sonos? Does Sonos controller on your laptop see any part of your Sonos network? What happens if you plug your laptop directly into the router with an ethernet cable. What happens if you just turn everything off, then back on again (router first, then Sonos units)?

I had an interesting adventure with confused Sonos controllers the other week: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/my-sonos-controllers-disagree-over-how-many-zones-i-have-6812380
Userlevel 7
Hi merchantmenswear

When you download the app to a clean device (meaning the Sonos app was never present or it was deleted) you should get one of two options after if finds your Wi-Fi:

1. Join existing Sonos
2. Set up new

However, if as you say "the new laptop is using the wi-fi already" then as Alan_6 said you are not on the same network as your Sonos.

PS
Chrome Books are not supported

Cheers!
Thanks for the replying all. Sorted now with sonos playing off my phone app i just plugged in the new laptop to the router and bingo .simples 😉
Userlevel 7
It’s great that you got things to work. But I don’t get the connection between your phone and your laptop? Sonos should work on any compatible device without another device having to be in the mix. When I play Sonos through my iPhone I don’t need my computer involved.

:?