Answered

Connecting Mac-Mini to Sonos to play media from the Mac

• 21 September 2018
  • 26 replies

Badge
My Sonos Playbar and Sub is connected to my TV. My Mac-Mini is also connected to my TV. Can I play media such as stored movies, itunes, and general media through the Sonos. My Sonos has replaced my amp and speakers that were connected to the Mac-Mini to allow this.i.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 September 2018, 05:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Anything that you play on your TV will come out through the PLAYBAR and, assuming you have it connected with the optical cable. Doesn't matter what you're playing, as long as it is in Dolby Digital format.
Badge
This has not answered my question at all about playing media through the Mac Mini
Badge +20
As your Mac is already connected... try it, the answer by Bruce is correct ?
Badge
It is not working. YouTube, movies, itunes etc is not oming through the play bar and sub. Do I need a specific app?
Badge +20
Does normal TV work? If yes then you probably have to check the TVs settings.

Do you get audio on the TVs speakers when playing anything from the Mac
Badge
TV works fine with Sonos.
Mac comes through the Mac, not the Sonos.
Badge +20
On the Mac In preferences you need to change the audio out to HDMI.
Badge
In preferences it does not show HDMI. My Mac Does not have HDMI. I have connected the Mac to the Sonos with an Ethernet cable.
Badge
Sorry, it does have that converter plug out of the back of the Mac that is going into the HDMI socket in the back of the TV. Still no option for HDMI in system preferences in Sound.
Badge +20
How do you connect your mini to the TV screen?

What connections are you using? Old Mac Mini used DVI or mini display port for video and optical / analogue for audio recent(ish) models from about 2010 use HDMI for video and audio .
Badge +20
You don’t connect the Mac Mini to the Playbay via Ethernet.
Badge
Hi Belly, it is an old Mac mini using DVI connecting to the HDMI into the TV.
How do I connect the Mac to the Sonos if I don’t use an Ethernet cable?
Badge +20
You need to run the Audio to the TV as well but that is hard if going DVI to HDMI, there are converters that combine the DVI and audio to HDMI but that will cost. If possible that your TV can be assigned to use an analogue audio input for a HDMI input but really clutching at straws now.

One option is to get an optical switch, Mac Mini optical out and TV optical out to the switch. Then the switch output to the Playbar.

Or a newer Mac a Mini with HDMI.
Badge
Thanks Belly. I will consult my Mac friend who will see which of your suggestions we can do. I’ll let you know.
Badge
Belly, it seems that my issue is that the Sonos only has one toslink hole. I have the playbar connected to the TV with the toslink. I need the Mac to also connect to the playbar with a 3.5mm optical jack in the back of the Mac to the playbar with a toslink as well. I will then have to take turns of which toslink goes into the playbar, I.e. tv or Mac.
Is this correct Belly?
Badge +20
Yes... as I said one option is to get an optical switch, on Amazon you can get ones with a remote control to make like easier.

You might want to invest in a 3.5mm to Toslink optical cable to make sure it works before before spending out on an optical switch.
Badge
Belly, Could you provide a link as an example of the type of optical switch you mean please? Is it just a 2 todslink in and one out?
Badge +20
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074FWQPDL/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_tY2PBbGEFBK8D
Badge
I have just ordered the cable. I will see how that goes and then order the switch as you suggested.
Thanks for your help Belly. I will let you know how it goes. Before I came here I downloaded an app called SonoAir but there was a 4-5 second lag in sound which was terrible. I don’t think it was an ‘aporoved’ Sonos app available on the App Store.
Badge
Hey Belly, plugging the 3.5mm cable into the headphones jack and the toslink into the Sonos playbar is not working. Any other instruction or setup info required?
Badge +20
Check the audio preferences on the Mac to see what the output is set to.
Badge
Belly, I checked this before and it wasn’t recognising the optical output but NOW IT IS. When I selected airplay there was a horrible 4 second lack. Now I have selected the ‘optical digital output’ that is displayed and it is working...with no lag.
I will now order the switch and have found one on eBay.
Belly, I woulfd like to thank you so much for persevering with my frustration and questions. I’m sure not many come back to thank those for assistance but you have been so patient with me.
BELLY, THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I AM TRULY GRATEFUL !!!!
MIchael (from Australia)
Badge +20
No problem, whilst no easy having an early Mac Mini you got there in the end.
Badge
I did thanks to you. I was ready to ditch it and chase up a second hand newer one but there is no need to mow. So grateful. If I need further info I know where to come. Cheers.
Badge
Hello Belly, 3-way switch with remote arrived and all set up now....Brilliant !