Answered

Connect to an existing system

• 25 October 2018
  • 10 replies

Hey All,

I've tried searching to see if this has been asked before, so if it has I apologize.

I've had to resetup our sonos system in the office, and now everytime someone wants to connect to the sonos system for the first time, they choose connect to an existing system, then they have to press the play pause button on their nearest speaker.

Is there a way, or a setting I'm missing to disable that and to just let them connect? I mean it isn't a massive hassle, but it is kind of a pain.

Most of the speakers are all hard wired in, not sure if that matters, and we also have a boost.

Thanks for any help!
icon

Best answer by ratty 25 October 2018, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi terry00

I have a few questions:

1. Are the speakers Play 5's or a combination of Play 5's and others all grouped together
2. Is the music being played resident on the users device (they own it) streamed via Sonos or playlists in the Sonos app?
3. How many users are there?

Cheers!
Hi terry00

I have a few questions:

1. Are the speakers Play 5's or a combination of Play 5's and others all grouped together
2. Is the music being played resident on the users device (they own it) streamed via Sonos or playlists in the Sonos app?
3. How many users are there?

Cheers!

Hello!

It is all it is mostly all gen 1 play 5s, and 1 playbar. Plus the boost which we keep on another floor.

As far as the music, I can't answer that mainly because it is getting people to connect to the system initially. So once they hit the buttons on the speaker (which I am trying to avoid) it connects right away. My assumption is all the music is streamed though, since Spotify is big in our office.

As for total users, we have around 50 or so, not everyone will connect, but still.
I've had to resetup our sonos system in the office, and now everytime someone wants to connect to the sonos system for the first time, they choose connect to an existing system, then they have to press the play pause button on their nearest speaker.
You have multiple Sonos "Households" (systems) on the local network. A new controller therefore can't join automatically; it requires buttons to be pressed to identify the desired Household.

If your intention was to have all the Sonos players on the same Household you'll need to track down the absentees, then factory reset and add them again.
I think you must have more than one Sonos system (aka household) set up. Does every speaker appear in every controller?
Sorry, posted before I saw @ratty's reply...
I think you might be right. I forgot we have one speaker that was on the old system, so I need to reset that one. Let me give that a try, and I will reply here. Thanks all!
Incidentally, it is very, very, rare for a Sonos system to need to be set up again. It might be useful to hear why you needed to do this, so as to perhaps save future hassle.
Ok, so resetting the one speaker somewhat worked. It seems on some systems I'm getting to hit the buttons, and on others it joins right away. I think I need to reboot the wifi APs here to maybe make sure everyone is on the newest settings I did.

And as for why I had to reset everything, we had a bridge unit which died. Then I added a boost to replace the bridge, and just had numerous issues trying to get everything to rejoin. I had to go through quite a few steps with sonos support which didn't work, change firewall and aruba AP settings.

So after numerous calls, settings, and such I just wiped everything and just started from scratch, which has mostly worked, sans this little issue.
OK. End result is the main thing. The usual cause of problems when people swap out a Bridge for a Boost is that they don't follow the required sequence, which is:
1. add the Boost wirelessly while keeping an existing speaker wired, and
2. only wire the Boost after it has joined the system.

But that may not have been the cause of your issues.
Ok, so resetting the one speaker somewhat worked. It seems on some systems I'm getting to hit the buttons, and on others it joins right away.
As noted, the controller will only ask for buttons to be pressed if there's ambiguity about which Household to associate with.