Question

Compatibility with Mac OS Sierra

• 19 September 2016
  • 32 replies

Badge
I really never learn, do I? I updated to the MacOS Sierra when it came out, and trouble comes. A few programs is not compatible and the most annoying is Tidal on Sonos - my main source for music.

I can play radio fine and sometimes Tidal after disconnecting and connecting the wifi. Sometimes I can see the Favorites when clicking, sometimes not. But all the time when I try to add tracks or album to the queue the message is "not able to add track to the queue".

I have searched and searched - but it seems like it only me that have this problem with the Sierra update? I FEEL ALL ALONE!!!!

I am hoping for updates (Mac or Sonos) that will resolve the problem. Or maybe you guys have a solution?

Set up is iMac with Airport extreme. Fast connection.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stein
Stavanger, Norway

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Badge
I should add: I play Tidal radio stations fine, I did not mention that it was Tidal
Badge
Another thing... I have the upgraded Sonos Connect - called Magna Ultimo. It is a fantastic upgrade by the way when you are a sound freak like me. I tried with and without the upgraded power cable - it is a huge, huge difference.

Stein
I tried with and without the upgraded power cable - it is a huge, huge difference.
Stein

Really?! If it floats your boat, good for you:-). I gave up on such activity ten years ago. Don't you also use an external DAC with bells and whistles?!
I don't see why a Mac OS upgrade should affect internet music in Sonos. What happens when you use a smartphone Sonos controller to order music play?
Badge
"I don't see why a Mac OS upgrade should affect internet music in Sonos" doesn't really help. It is the same problem when I use the Sonos controller on iPhone. The iPhone is also with the new IOS.

And yes, I have found good cables and DAC that works ten times better. Maybe they did not have DAC and good cables ten years ago?
Badge
I have sent a diagnostic to Sonos - confirmation number 6563637: Would appreciate if a Sonos staff would take a look.
"I don't see why a Mac OS upgrade should affect internet music in Sonos" doesn't really help. It is the same problem when I use the Sonos controller on iPhone. The iPhone is also with the new IOS.

And yes, I have found good cables and DAC that works ten times better. Maybe they did not have DAC and good cables ten years ago?

Mate, if you're just going to be an arse people aren't going to help you. Kumar makes a very good point, the tidal is entirely independent of your Mac or iPhone, you could switch those off and tell Sonos to play from tidal using an Android device or a windows PC. The OS the controller is running on is irrelevant.
Badge
I am usually not a touchy guy at all, but Kumar was clearly arrogant and a Mr KnowiItAll arse himself. Meaning - he thinks I am a knobhead investing in Hifi stuff.

Ok - lets all be friends now 😉
Lol, we can be friends even though I was a lot more polite than you are able to be, and without changing my opinion of your hifi knowledge.
Updated my mac to Sierra and Sonos continues to work flawlessly.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Same here. All working perfectly.
Not working for me with my iTunes Music Library. All my albums have blank artwork, just tried removing and re-adding my music library in prefs and it won't add it now. Guess I'll have to send a request to support 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Stein, I'll confirm for others too that there shouldn't be any issue with Mac OS X Sierra. We've been testing it for a bit and there aren't any known issues at the moment.

That said, the diagnostic you posted is showing some communication trouble with your CONNECT and the network. I'd recommend starting with a reboot on the network if you haven't gone and done that. Starting at the router, you'd reboot it by unplugging it for 15 seconds, then move on out to your other network devices, including Sonos.

If you're still having trouble I'd like to get a bit of detail on the setup there.

I see that the CONNECT is wired in, does that go to a switch or right to the router? How long is that cable and have you tried replacing it?

If you try to ping from your computer to the CONNECT, are the results consistent and quick? Do you lose packets?

If you'd like a hand looking into this like we'd be happy to work with you as well over the phones. Feel free to give us a call on our support line if you'd like to do that. Otherwise, we can assist here.
dear ryan s i can confirm that the controller after installing sierra isn't working at all and I'm sure you know this is happening and are just taking time to get the issue sorted out. your software is so poor and so is your customer service.
YOU LIAR
Interesting way of getting someone to keep helping you.

If it makes any difference, I've been frequenting these boards for about 6 to 8 months, and I've never seen Ryan lie to anyone, to my knowledge. Lots of "we can't tell you our roadmap", but when it comes to solving customer's issues, I've never seen his do anything to make me question his veracity.
I can only see a company which's selling products with a faulty software and i in denial of its faults. If you feel politeness would help somehow, I instead 've been taught that awareness is, nowdays, best way to avoid unemployment which comes straight from upset customers like me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Nepero, I can assure you that Sierra was tested here for compatibility, and if it helps I'm running it right now on my computer without trouble on my Sonos system as well. I know hearing that we've tested things and it works for us doesn't change the fact that you're having trouble and I'm happy to help you get up and running. With any OS update there could potentially be trouble, and we're always up for looking into issues just to make sure there isn't a strange case of circumstances that causes something to come up.

The issues that can be caused by OS updates most often will be from changes in security settings, but there could be other things as well. I'd love some more details about what you're experiencing and if you can submit a diagnostic just let me know the confirmation number.
Badge
I can just confirm the same issue. After upgrade to Sierra the Client can't find the system. It still works well from IOS devices but the Macs can access the system.
Badge
6592827 is the ticket number
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Bjale. Thanks for the diagnostics. Can you also please check your firewall settings on the Mac? It could be that these defaulted when you upgraded your OS. Also, the speakers have been powered on for up to three weeks, not a problem normally but it wouldn't hurt to do the following:
Switch off your Sonos components. Reboot the router. Fire the speakers back on. Having done all of the above, attempt to connect again.
Failing this, have you tried a fresh install of the software?
Same problem here: Sonos can not find my play:5 on the mac after having updated to macOs sierra, but it does find it on iPad and iPhone. My firewall settings are okay, and I also have already restarted everything. Nothing helped.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same problem here: Sonos can not find my play:5 on the mac after having updated to macOs sierra, but it does find it on iPad and iPhone. My firewall settings are okay, and I also have already restarted everything. Nothing helped.

Is that Mac wirelessly connected to the network or is it wired in? It'd be great if you can try it wired to the router or to a Sonos player directly (if one is wired to the router that is) to see if it'll connect that way. If wireless, make sure you are on the same wireless that your iOS devices are on, not a secondary or guest network.

OS updates can sometimes cause some trouble with security and network settings on devices when they update, so this sort of thing certainly can happen. Let us know how it's going.
Badge
Ryan, I updated to Mac Sierra Public beta 10.12.1 Version 3 before I went to work today and now things have been working perfectly for 3 hours. My connection with TIDAL is flawless on my iPhone and Mac. As i recall, the same problem with Internet connections was when I updated the Mac a few months ago. Lost connection after 15 minutes or so, stopped Internet connection on the Mac and then off/on connection.

This is strange because I did not update my iPhone 5S, but now the iPhone is also connected to Tidal thru Sonos with no problems.

I will not change from channel 11 or do anything else now. Just enjoying the music ;)))
Badge
Yes, the Mac is wirelessly connected to the network
Having the same issue with the os sierra "The computer cannot be found." Firewall is set to the specs on the sonos website. Restarted the wifi router and speaker. Also re-installed the app. What else can I try to get this working again? - Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Having the same issue with the os sierra "The computer cannot be found." Firewall is set to the specs on the sonos website. Restarted the wifi router and speaker. Also re-installed the app. What else can I try to get this working again? - Thanks

Hi kapu, welcome to the community. Take a look at this article, which details how to check your Mac's names on the network. These should all be short, simple, and the same. They may have changed with the new OS and that would mean you'd need to remove and re-add the music share to Sonos, once the names are all aligned.