Comments on recent updates

• 23 October 2017
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Recient Updates are more difficult to work with.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 1
I have 12 Sonos connects located on a single network. I have been using them for about 4 years now. I find the recent updates are more difficult to use. When I change rooms or locations I have to reset the room and deselect other rooms. In the past the iPhone Ap would know what I wanted based on the room I was in. Each room does use a different WiFi which I thought Sonos keyed on.

Also when I want to change music/media sources the new Ap does not list all the available sources properly. I have to spend time searching for the media I want.

A couple of media sources I like are Bloomberg News on Sirius and Astronomy.FM streamed from the internet. Seems the streaming capability was pushed back in priority. Music feeds are all on top.

It would be interesting to hear if others are having trouble or if you like the new interface. It is typical of people not to like change but I feel this was a real step backwards for Sonos. What do you think?
I have found the latest up-date awful. All the things I had easily available have been lost and it seems I have to search for them and re-allocate to new folders - and then not to total success ( London Gold refuses to go into MySonos).
The worst thing, which seems to have gone unacknowledged by fellow users, is the removal of access to Spotify - where all my favourite albums were stored - and for which I pay for that privilege. Help me Sonos - is just me?
There has been no removal of Spotify. Click Browse on the navigation bar to view all music sources. If Spotify isn't there it is a local issue on your system
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Count me as one who appreciates the improvements in the new v8 app -- yes, there really are improvements -- BUT one has to understand the new user model or it will be frustration all the way. Evidence would suggest that SONOS made a mistake in assuming everyone would just get it.

There are no functional regressions, so if you are seeing any, it's either user misunderstanding or some kind of local issue.

John B wrote a nice user guide, but I'll let him post the link.

The app is not perfect yet: there is one significant usability flaw (bottom tab bar should be visible in the Now Playing view) which is being fixed, plus an assortment of other UX tweaks that are less important, mostly to do with efficient use of screen space.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LY6yD3BW7adkstOHVDVzZUMUE/view
I didn't realise that I was going to unleash the 'fury' of Sonos aficionados with my comments! I'm sorry if I have caused offence. I do have several excuses - with 'Spotify', I am sure that an early bit of info from Sonos indicated that it was not currently available. I'll cut out all the other misunderstandings and simply play the Age Card - 84!!
I thank you all for commenting and I am particularly grateful to John B for his instructions.
Happy Sonosing!
Hope it helps. Spotify is not yet available for Alexa voice control on Sonos, but via the app it hasn't changed
Thank you, John B. That helps me retain my sanity - I was pretty sure I had seen something along those lines.

Can someone help with this question? I am maxed out with Sonos in each room but I would like to invest in Sonos One for Alexa. If I did that, could I use one my present Sonos alongside to provide Stereo?
Hi. At the moment a Sonos One and Play:1 cannot be stereo paired, although there have been suggestions Sonos may look at making this possible. Maybe you could get an Echo Dot to see how you get on with voice control on your existing Sonos?
I really don't want to take up too much of your time but I cannot help but respond. I have an Echo Dot already and I have tried to research connecting but it did seem that this wasn't possible with a Play 1. Have I missed something?
It has recently become possible. You need to download the Alexa app and then enable the Sonos skill for Alexa, then discover devices. I think...haven't done it myself.

This should help:

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/alexa-on-sonos
Thank you once more. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Please create backward compatible updates. After purchasing the Play 5 I should not be forced to upgrade my home computer. Everthing was fine before the forced OS upgrades.