Chromecast Support

• 29 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Can you please let me know when will sonos play be upgraded to support Chromecast? Will such upgrade be applied and supported on already purchased sonos play 1 devices?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Chromecast support has never been mentioned, but google assistant is coming to sonos sometime this year.
I do not know what the technical limitations between both are as I only use chromecasts, maybe someone on here does?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a Chromecast Audio dongle plugged into my Sonos Connect and that works fine. This will also work with a Play:5 but the Sonos One has no Line In port.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would like to know this as well. Also will the Google assistant be able to make phone calls like the Home speakers can? I've noticed calls and messaging is currently not supported with Amazon Alexa.
My supposition is that the reason the Amazon Alexa enabled devices don't support calls and messaging is so that Amazon can boost their own hardware sales. I don't believe it was decision taken by Sonos.

With that in mind, my guess is that it's really up to Google as to whether they allow such a function to occur on the Sonos.

And it's unlikely that Sonos will share that information until the point at which they're prepared to release the software. At least, that's been the behaviour in the past with other features.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
My supposition is that the reason the Amazon Alexa enabled devices don't support calls and messaging is so that Amazon can boost their own hardware sales. I don't believe it was decision taken by Sonos.

With that in mind, my guess is that it's really up to Google as to whether they allow such a function to occur on the Sonos.

And it's unlikely that Sonos will share that information until the point at which they're prepared to release the software. At least, that's been the behaviour in the past with other features.

Good point. I hope Google have the sense to say yes. I'm sure they would be prepared to do some kind of deal with Sonos here, especially since their free calls feature doesn't actually cost them that much as all calls are essentially voip calls over the net.
I can actually read and send texts already with both Alexa and Google via the Mastermind app (currently in closed beta), but this is likely to end up being a paid for service.