Chromecast functionality

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 10 replies
Why is Sonos lacking the Chromecast functionality, which basically every 100€ WiFi speaker has. It makes it impossible to use YouTube music ( you have to open the Sonos controller and control it from there instead of just pressing the cast button) and it makes using the Google Assistant unnecessarily cumbersome. You have to specify the speaker after a voice command instead of being able to simply set Sonos as a default speaker. That not enough, it also makes it impossible to cast all audio to Sonos. Sonos always talks about being open and support all platforms, yet after waiting a year longer than Airplay 2 users (which got supported as soon as the service got released), we get a shitty, half-assed service lacking basic functionality. Sonos basically incentivizes people to switch to Google Home Max et al, to use get the full capability from the services.

164 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
sonos speakers don't have chromecast hardware and software built in them.
A Software version is possible only if google allows it .

Chromecast casting can be implemented on a software level, as you correctly said. I can see no reason why Google would allow casting via the Sonos API (the voice control) but not the Chromecast functionality.
But again we won't get a reply from Sonos about this...
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Actually Google is very restrictive about licensing Chromecast functionality in other devices. Way back at the beginning the Chromecast was based on an open casting protocol called DIAL, and there were a bunch of 3rd-party apps created to emulate Chromecast capability. When the Chromecast became a success, Google quickly moved to make their protocol proprietary and then they aggressively went after anyone attempting to emulate it and shut them down.

So I'm not at all surprised that Sonos doesn't have Chromecast capability. I'm sure Google wants a lot of extra money to license it.

I don't really care how much Sonos would have to pay, and honestly I doubt it is much. JBL and other offer it for far cheaper speakers! And additionally to that, I doubt Airplay 2 is free.
Userlevel 2
Dear Sonos!

I'm not sure if somebody from the development team is even reading this, but you definitely should. There is only one reason why I did not yet order a speaker from you: Missing Chromecast / Google Cast support. It seems that even the latest 399,- Sonos Move does not support Google Cast. Moreover, many customers seems to be upset, because the feature was expected to be integrated together with the Google assistant in the Sonos One/Move, but actually it is not. It would be great if Sonos could announce if an integration is planned or not. I hope that more and more comments in this thread will have an impact.

br
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok. So i have a date.. or a friend who visits.. she comes over. She wants to play something on sonos surround setup. She opens Spotify on her android phone... She can't cast, i don't use Spotify because i use GPM. so i sign up for a free account but cannot access her profile via the sonos app because that feature is restricted for premium (paying) Spotify customers.

And that's it. Game over. Nice sound but it's useless.
U telling me Sonos is ignoring this problem??
Userlevel 2
This is my first Sonos system and probably will be my last one....
The fact that you cannot cast audio via any mean (Bluetooth/Wireless) makes it an one trick pony, and an inconvenience one as well.
Yeah sure it sounds fine, but if it cannot play the music I want (Some of them isn't available on all kinds of media services, others are not in regular audio format, like videos or streams etc), then it's practically useless.
Guess I'll have to look into other solutions.
Userlevel 2
Just bought a few Symfonisk speakers and disappointed to find they are gimped for Android users - why on earth would Sonos not support Chromecast? My 5 year old LG MusicFlow speakers have more functionality!

Sonos - please PLEASE support Chromecast on your speakers. IOS users are taken care of with Airplay, please also look after Android users with Chromecast too!
Userlevel 2
God damn it. I wish I saw this thread before I invested in Sonos.

It’s frustrating as hell that I cannot cast anything to my Sonos. My dingie little Sony speaker can be cast and airplay. What sort of joke is Sonos playing on us?

It’s basically a useless ecosystem when you’re forced into the Sonos app which relies on integration services.

Yes, Sonos fanboys please down vote this post I’ve seen how you’ve all attacked legit feedback from owners who are not happy with the way Sonos is prioritizing their software development. This is a software product prioritization. Chromecast is as open as it can be. It is not Apple AirPlay.
Userlevel 2
The only reason, so far, that I joined this community is because Sonos support advised that I should let my voice be known among others in the community for this request. I'm ready to pull the trigger on two Sonos Ones and eventually the Beam and subwoofer once I hear an announcement that Sonos will integrate Chromecast built-in functionality in a future update.
Userlevel 1
Disappointing that Sonos doesn't work with Chromecast. Will take my business elsewhere until it's implemented.
Userlevel 1
Also looking forward to Sonos implementing Google Cast / Chromecast.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, well, I just got in Sono with Ikea's Symfonisk... To be honest, I'm not close to buying extra hardware or doing complex setup for the sake of a functionality I have with less expensive speakers.

The Symfonisk sounds incredible, it's just weird we can connect to the Assistant but not as a Cast device when AirPlay2 is ok out of the box. We'll just have to wait and hope for Cast!
Userlevel 1
I also look forward to cast support. I own a playbase, 4 play ones, 2 play 5's 2nd gen. 2 Google home max speakers, a Google Hub and a home mini. I want to be able to cast to them and group the Sonos with the Max speakers in a Google home group.
Userlevel 1

Adding another voice to the requests for Chromecast functionality.

In the short term I've "fixed" this issue by rooting my phone and installing software to cast via AirPlay. Casting is important enough to me that I will bear the associated security risks. But rooting won't be a suitable solution when I need to get a new phone and rooting will void the warranty.

Most of the people I talk to have never heard of Sonos. Most of the people I talk to think our setup is pretty awesome. Most of the people I talk to screw up their noses when I mention the casting situation. None of the people I talk to buy Sonos.

Userlevel 1

yes it is ridiculous that Sonos doesn't have Chromecast in 2020!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge
Also would like chromecast. Line in is super clunky, your app is pathetic. The convenience of chromecast cast is a must really in 2019.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos needs to stop the discrimination of Android users, in favor of IOS users.

It is very reprehensible that there has been functionality like Airplay to Sonos available for IOS users for years now, while Sonos has not taken advantage of the possibility of adding Google-cast or Chromecast functionality (available through Android) to the Sonos system, even though that option has been available to them for as long as Airplay was available through IOS.

Basically IOS users can cast anything (audio) from any app or file on their device, using the OS interface, to any airplay compatible Sonos speaker and from there to any room. Meanwhile, Android users only have the options that are available through the interface of the Sonos App or the few apps that support direct cast, like Spotify or Audible. 

Similarly, tuning of Sonos speakers is only available on IOS.

What else are Android users missing out on?

Sonos, being an open platform should rather prioritize the open operating system (Android), than the walled off IOS.

pls get chromecast asap SONOS!

Sonos please add a casting feature to Sonos from andriod/google home, much appreciated

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am new to Sonos and just purchased a Beam. I was under the impression I could cast to the speaker from my Android phone but I cannot. I was shocked to learn this. The only workaround is to buy a Chromecast Ultra, connect it to my tv and cast to the tv and the sound will come out the Beam. 

Its such a shame that Sonos didn't incorporate this simple feature for the prices they charge...

Agreed. I waited forever to buy Sonos need on the premise it was adding Google. And then we only get a partial add. I would have gladly bought the Google speakers instead. I want to be able to walk into my house and cast whatever I've been listening to on headphones to my speakers. Can't do it. Sucks for podcast continuity. Don't buy this product.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Actually Google is very restrictive about licensing Chromecast functionality in other devices. Way back at the beginning the Chromecast was based on an open casting protocol called DIAL, and there were a bunch of 3rd-party apps created to emulate Chromecast capability. When the Chromecast became a success, Google quickly moved to make their protocol proprietary and then they aggressively went after anyone attempting to emulate it and shut them down.

So I'm not at all surprised that Sonos doesn't have Chromecast capability. I'm sure Google wants a lot of extra money to license it.
Userlevel 1

Echoing others, lack of Chromecast integration in my Sonos One is a big disappointment.  Many competitors offer this.  I would buy additional Sonos Ones if it had this functionality.  I am giving serious consideration to selling my Sonos One and buying the Harman Kardon Citation One MKII.  The MKII version adds Airplay 2 in addition to Chromecast.  Having both gives me the flexibility that I want.  I’d be happy to stick with Sonos, but at some point I’ll get tired of waiting.

God damn it. I wish I saw this thread before I invested in Sonos.

It’s frustrating as hell that I cannot cast anything to my Sonos. My dingie little Sony speaker can be cast and airplay. What sort of joke is Sonos playing on us?

It’s basically a useless ecosystem when you’re forced into the Sonos app which relies on integration services.

Yes, Sonos fanboys please down vote this post I’ve seen how you’ve all attacked legit feedback from owners who are not happy with the way Sonos is prioritizing their software development. This is a software product prioritization. Chromecast is as open as it can be. It is not Apple AirPlay.

@Foofoo: I completely agree. I have 2 Play:3s, a Soundbar, and 2 Play:1s. But I listen to podcasts, etc. on my Google Home Minis because Sonos is so freakin' inconvenient. I'm ready to dump the Sonos gear.
Userlevel 2
Seems like there are a number of people in this thread getting angry at Sonos because they themselves spent hundreds of dollars without doing any research to see if the speakers they were about to buy met their needs, instead making a lot of assumptions. Do you often spend large quantities of money without asking questions or doing any research on what you're buying first? This anger is misdirected.

You are not suppose to expect some expensive equipment to be missing the most basic functionalities, for this price range at this age of the time - expecially when the product claim to be wireless.

I should also probably remarked its not until the product is in my hand for a few days I've noticed its really inconvenient to use. I was really impressed with sonos one at first, as you know, this is a good product, for what it was designed for. However its turns out the design flaw was huge. Cannot return it because its I bought it in a bundle, amd this is sort of a side gift/reward.

If you excuse the inconvinece of your product as user fault, then clearly you have some marketing research issues.

Expecially this can be easily implimeneted into a system 🙂 A line in, or proper bluetooth receiver would solve all the problems above, yet its missing it.

The only way i can going forward is to get a sonos connect or amp, then add a raspberry pi, get hdmi input card, plug my dec into it to get RCA/Optical audio signal out.

Wihch I can easily do these, in fact. I have all these equipments avaliable at my hand except fot the amp or connect.

which, well, sorry, I am just not going to do it. I am not going to fix the silly decision they've made. Going for a Google Max will be a far wise idea.
Userlevel 2
Badge

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

People don't want to use the Sonos app... maybe back in the day, but now people want to open their favourite music app and just cast. 

Speak for yourself.

Casting directly from Spotify or most other services will not allow me more than one simultaneous stream. I want to be able to have different music streaming to different rooms.

Casting from TuneIn will include the ads.

Google cast groups are static, cannot change the members of the group dynamically. 

Chromecast will not allow me mixed playback from different services and local media.

Dude, it's really simple. Apple has iplay or air play or what ever, Andoid wants chromecast. It's really simple! No Sonos app replaces that.