Chromecast functionality

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 10 replies
Why is Sonos lacking the Chromecast functionality, which basically every 100€ WiFi speaker has. It makes it impossible to use YouTube music ( you have to open the Sonos controller and control it from there instead of just pressing the cast button) and it makes using the Google Assistant unnecessarily cumbersome. You have to specify the speaker after a voice command instead of being able to simply set Sonos as a default speaker. That not enough, it also makes it impossible to cast all audio to Sonos. Sonos always talks about being open and support all platforms, yet after waiting a year longer than Airplay 2 users (which got supported as soon as the service got released), we get a shitty, half-assed service lacking basic functionality. Sonos basically incentivizes people to switch to Google Home Max et al, to use get the full capability from the services.

164 replies

@Nollind .  I agree with @melvimbe‘s verdict that this is purely speculative and not to be relied on.

One thing for sure is that likening the possible Bluetooth functionality to the way the Play:5 line-in  works doesn’t really make sense.  The Line-in acts as a new source and is wired.  Bluetooth is a method of data transmission and is wireless.

As I noted in my reply to Melvimbe, yes it has been reported but not verified by Sonos, so yes it is still speculative. The article source has me hopeful though. But yes, people shouldn’t assume something in an article is fact and then blame Sonos for not adding the feature to their speakers.

As for the second half of your reply, I’m confused by what you mean. You do realize that you can buy bluetooth adapters that connect to your stereo system as a source, thus relaying sound to all of the speakers throughout your house (be they wired or wireless). Even some amps and receivers have this Bluetooth source capability built in as well.

I’m not exactly sure what John meant with his 2nd statement.  However, the line in source you have via a Port, Amp, or Five (just listing current products) is a distinct audio source to your system.  You can have something connected to a Port for example, and play it in a different room, without the audio playing on the Port.  Also, the audio is analog and subject to conversion to digital and will automatically delayed for buffering reasons.  It’s why the line in source is not a good choice for TV audio.  This is the same regardless of how the audio gets to the Port (or whatever line in device), whether it be completely wired or use bluetooth adapters.

A Roam getting bluetooth audio is different for a few reasons.  It is wireless and digital, so does not need the same delay.  I could be wrong about this, as I haven’t tested or looked into it much, but it behaves like TV audio, playing immediately on the Roam room and delayed on any grouped rooms.  Not at all confident on that.  Point is though, it’s actually more like TV audio input than line in audio input, but still different then either case.

The number one issue with this though is the Bluetooth delay added on top of the delay relaying the music to the other wireless Sonos speakers. But again, it doesn’t mean it’s not technically possible. It just means the delay from pressing play to actually hearing the music relayed throughout your house on your Sonos speakers would be considerable (i.e. 2-3 seconds maybe?).

For example, if I had a Sonos Play 5, I could add one of these bluetooth adapters to the line-in on the back on my Play 5 and share bluetooth music on my phone throughout my entire house using my Sonos system.

So again, it would be up to Sonos to decided if the bluetooth connection and input to the Sonos speaker is just directly to that speaker only (i.e. a selective singular mode) or it is considered as a “source” that can be relayed to other speakers as well.

If Optimo does have bluetooth audio capabilities, then it seems likely that you would be able to share with other rooms like the Roam does.  However, all modern Sonos speakers do have BLE for setup purposes, so Optimo could be the same in this case.  Also, Sonos bought a company specializing in BLE audio formats, so it could be that Optiomo is equipped with this version of  wireless audio, which may be used for something other then sending audio from your device to Sonos.    I have no idea.  It would be strange for the speaker to have bluetooth and not do typical bluetooth things, but then again, Sonos has never used bluetooth on non-portable speakers, and even the portable ones can’t do things like stereo pairing and taking phone calls.  It’s also strange for a bluetooth speaker to have WiFi streaming capabilities.  🤠

PS. Actually I just realized I don’t even need a Play 5 to make this possible. My older TV has L/R analog inputs which I’m currently using for my turntable. So I play a record on my turntable and it routes through my TV to my Beam which I can then relay to all of my other Sonos speakers in my house. If I unplugged my turntable and plugged in this bluetooth adapter with L/R analog, I could stream music via bluetooth throughout my house on my Sonos speakers as well.

In you first case, the TV is converting from analog to digital and sending it to your Beam as TV audio.  Hence no major delays.  In your second scenario, using the line in input, you are converting from audio to digital, back to audio, then back to digital again, with major delay.  A purely bluetooth solution is all digital.

Don’t really see much difference in thoughts here, mostly semantics.  Just why different methods of communication end up with different features available.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Nollind .  I agree with @melvimbe‘s verdict that this is purely speculative and not to be relied on.

One thing for sure is that likening the possible Bluetooth functionality to the way the Play:5 line-in  works doesn’t really make sense.  The Line-in acts as a new source and is wired.  Bluetooth is a method of data transmission and is wireless.

As I noted in my reply to Melvimbe, yes it has been reported but not verified by Sonos, so yes it is still speculative. The article source has me hopeful though. But yes, people shouldn’t assume something in an article is fact and then blame Sonos for not adding the feature to their speakers.

As for the second half of your reply, I’m confused by what you mean. You do realize that you can buy bluetooth adapters that connect to your stereo system as a source, thus relaying sound to all of the speakers throughout your house (be they wired or wireless). Even some amps and receivers have this Bluetooth source capability built in as well.

The number one issue with this though is the Bluetooth delay added on top of the delay relaying the music to the other wireless Sonos speakers. But again, it doesn’t mean it’s not technically possible. It just means the delay from pressing play to actually hearing the music relayed throughout your house on your Sonos speakers would be considerable (i.e. 2-3 seconds maybe?).

For example, if I had a Sonos Play 5, I could add one of these bluetooth adapters to the line-in on the back on my Play 5 and share bluetooth music on my phone throughout my entire house using my Sonos system.

So again, it would be up to Sonos to decided if the bluetooth connection and input to the Sonos speaker is just directly to that speaker only (i.e. a selective singular mode) or it is considered as a “source” that can be relayed to other speakers as well.

PS. Actually I just realized I don’t even need a Play 5 to make this possible. My older TV has L/R analog inputs which I’m currently using for my turntable. So I play a record on my turntable and it routes through my TV to my Beam which I can then relay to all of my other Sonos speakers in my house. If I unplugged my turntable and plugged in this bluetooth adapter with L/R analog, I could stream music via bluetooth throughout my house on my Sonos speakers as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

All just rumors as Sonos hasn’t announced anything official yet.  The main source for this came from the same author who stated that you’d be able to use 2 Rays as rear surround upfiring speakers.  I am doubtful that Optimo speakers will be released this year, but bluetooth seems plausible since Roams can already do this...connect to BT and WiFi concurrently and share the BT audio with the rest of the Sonos system.

Correct. It’s been reported but not verified by Sonos themselves. So it is still speculative at this time and we can’t assume it will be added until he product is actually launched. The article source has me hopeful though.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Jeez people! Why the bitter attitude? Are you paid by SONOS? 

This doesn't have to be explained but here we go: Problems that users share for ANY device or software, don't apply to the overall user group but only to some (!) 

So its not a surprise that for you this is not an issue - be informed that this thread is not a poll! 

We are MANY having issues with this if you look up online or in other threads here, each with different usage needs.

So give us a break and go comment somewhere your input can be useful instead of negative?

ps. I did do my research before buying, this is not something you will typically read as a not supported feature ;)

As mentioned, another example that SONOS is not willing to put the same investment for Android, is that the Trueplay Tuning is only available in iOs… 

Which is it? You did your “research before buying & this is not something you will typically read as a not supported feature“ or you “found endless similar posts and requests on the internet” about this feature not being supported. So you “did your research” before buying but missed the “endless posts” on the subject, only seeing them after buying it?

As I stated early, it’s pretty evident you did little to no research (i.e. didn’t Google “Sonos chromecast support”), just made assumptions looking at the Sonos product page, and then got upset when your assumptions weren’t accurate after buying the product and thus decided to redirect your anger and bitterness at Sonos, blaming them for your lack of awareness and responsibility in making sure the product actually had the features you wanted before buying it.

To clarify. There’s nothing wrong with creating a Sonos forum thread (like this one) asking for Chromecast support, so that Android users can get the same functionality as iOS users, thus making purchasing a Sonos product worthwhile for them as well. That’s evident. There’s everything wrong though with assuming that Sonos can magically add this feature on their own without getting permission and licensing from Google. And worst of all, there’s everything wrong with blaming a company for not having a feature that you didn’t research it had in the first place.

@Nollind .  I agree with @melvimbe‘s verdict that this is purely speculative and not to be relied on.

The new Sonos Optimo line of speakers being released this year are reported to have Bluetooth built into them. What will be interesting to see is if this will provide connectivity to your whole Sonos system (like the line in on the Play 5) or if it will just provide connectivity to just that one speaker?

All just rumors as Sonos hasn’t announced anything official yet.  The main source for this came from the same author who stated that you’d be able to use 2 Rays as rear surround upfiring speakers.  I am doubtful that Optimo speakers will be released this year, but bluetooth seems plausible since Roams can already do this...connect to BT and WiFi concurrently and share the BT audio with the rest of the Sonos system.

You came in with a bitter attitude yourself, and I’m not really seeing how you could read my messages as bitter.  And no, not paid by Sonos, as Sonos staff are clearly marked in the forums.   It shouldn’t really matter though as if I said something that’s factually inaccurate, it should be easy to refute regardless of whatever motivation I might have for making the statement.

This doesn't have to be explained but here we go: Problems that users share for ANY device or software, don't apply to the overall user group but only to some (!) 

So its not a surprise that for you this is not an issue - be informed that this thread is not a poll! 

We are MANY having issues with this if you look up online or in other threads here, each with different usage needs.

So give us a break and go comment somewhere your input can be useful instead of negative?

Did you actually read your own comments and decide you were being positive while anyone who disagreed with you was negative?   The reality is that you can use and android device with Sonos quite well without chromecast.  There is no discrimination.  

ps. I did do my research before buying, this is not something you will typically read as a not supported feature ;)

There are so many protocols and features possible with smart speakers, or any smart device really, that I would highly recommend that anyone positively confirm a feature is supported if it’s crucial to them, rather than just assume it is supported when it’s not stated as ‘not supported’.

As mentioned, another example that SONOS is not willing to put the same investment for Android, is that the Trueplay Tuning is only available in iOs… 

If you look at the many topics on that issue, you’ll see that there is a good reason for that, or go there and debate it if you wish.  Apple has consistent mics on their iDevices that are calibrated and well known for trueplay to be done accurate, while there is no consistency on android.  

By the way, Sonos lets you play audio files on your android device to speakers, but you cannot do the same on iDevices. You can use Google Assistant or Alexa on Sonos speakers, but you can’t use Siri. Logical reasons for both of those decisions, but don’t fit the android discrimination narrative.

The same person who asked you.  No one.  I replied because it shows that not every android user see chromecast as a vital feature, and that there are plenty of features in Sonos without it.

I rarely have any desire to do these things. I watch netflix on TV, unless I’m away from home, which would take Sonos out of the picture anyway.  I don’t listen to Google podcasts.  I’ve never thought the audio from camera videos needed something more than the phone’s speakers.  I don’t use whatsapp.  There have been times where I watched a youtube video and wanted better sound, and I have then cast the video to the TV and watched it there.

The problem you’re experiencing has nothing to do with you being an Android user.

It has to do with you buying products simply based upon assumptions rather than actually reading the product features beforehand and perhaps even doing a little bit of research on the Web as well (which you’ve done after the fact rather than beforehand). To try to cover up for this, you then turn around and blame the company by making another assumption about them.

You really have nobody to blame but yourself for the situation you are in.

PS. BTW this isn’t directed at Android users as a whole, as I completely understand the desire to want a feature that works comparable to Airplay on iOS. It is essential. No doubt. That said, if you’re buying a product without researching beforehand that it has the "essential feature" that you need, you can only really blame yourself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

I'd like to see bluetooth and Chromecast support added if the hardware supports it. With respect to the latter it's not just a Sonos issue - they're locked in a legal dispute with Google over patents, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I remember it was supported a few years ago, but I found it less reliable than native WIFI.

In any case, in defence of Sonos, they don't advertise either bluetooth support nor Chromecast for the Play and Home Theatre products. The Move supports it, as it is intended to be a portable speaker. For what it's worth, WIFI generally allows for better sound quality. Bluetooth depends very much on the capabilities of the devices connected.

The new Sonos Optimo line of speakers being released this year are reported to have Bluetooth built into them. What will be interesting to see is if this will provide connectivity to your whole Sonos system (like the line in on the Play 5) or if it will just provide connectivity to just that one speaker?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Just got my first SONOS ONE. Very disappointed, I can’t do anything with my Android! Why not support Bluetooth if they refuse to integrate android cast? More functionalities are only available only for iOs, like the tuning on the space. Such a shame. 

Agree with all comments above. This is discrimination against Android users. If Sonos really wanted to support that, they would have, no matter the obstacles. They just dont care. I have found endless similar posts and requests on the internet.

The problem you’re experiencing has nothing to do with you being an Android user.

It has to do with you buying products simply based upon assumptions rather than actually reading the product features beforehand and perhaps even doing a little bit of research on the Web as well (which you’ve done after the fact rather than beforehand). To try to cover up for this, you then turn around and blame the company by making another assumption about them.

You really have nobody to blame but yourself for the situation you are in.

PS. BTW this isn’t directed at Android users as a whole, as I completely understand the desire to want a feature that works comparable to Airplay on iOS. It is essential. No doubt. That said, if you’re buying a product without researching beforehand that it has the "essential feature" that you need, you can only really blame yourself.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I'd like to see bluetooth and Chromecast support added if the hardware supports it. With respect to the latter it's not just a Sonos issue - they're locked in a legal dispute with Google over patents, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I remember it was supported a few years ago, but I found it less reliable than native WIFI.

In any case, in defence of Sonos, they don't advertise either bluetooth support nor Chromecast for the Play and Home Theatre products. The Move supports it, as it is intended to be a portable speaker. For what it's worth, WIFI generally allows for better sound quality. Bluetooth depends very much on the capabilities of the devices connected.

I have no problem using my android phone to control my Sonos system, exactly as intended. I have no need for chromecast.

Who asked? That is your experience and your needs. Why would you reply just that?

The same person who asked you.  No one.  I replied because it shows that not every android user see chromecast as a vital feature, and that there are plenty of features in Sonos without it.

Do you recognize that there are many different users and requirements that dont match your own? Or you feel you are the only one that matters in this world? 

I’m not sure how you could draw that conclusion from what I stated.    However, you do seem really bothered that I don’t share your view about Sonos and chromecast.

Tell me how to do that then, if you are so confident with your speakers.

•  I want to watch netflix app on my phone and have the sound on SONOS.
  • I want to listen to Google podcasts  with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to watch my camera videos with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to listen to whatsapp voicenotes with the sound on SONOS. 
  • MANY MORE 

I rarely have any desire to do these things. I watch netflix on TV, unless I’m away from home, which would take Sonos out of the picture anyway.  I don’t listen to Google podcasts.  I’ve never thought the audio from camera videos needed something more than the phone’s speakers.  I don’t use whatsapp.  There have been times where I watched a youtube video and wanted better sound, and I have then cast the video to the TV and watched it there.

Dont tell me to use different apps, please spare the suggestions. I am not going to change my preferred usage just because of SONOS limitations. 

I didn’t tell you to do anything.  If you are dependent on chromecast, unwilling to consider other possibilities, then Sonos is clearly not for you.

I have no problem using my android phone to control my Sonos system, exactly as intended. I have no need for chromecast.

Who asked? That is your experience and your needs. Why would you reply just that?

Do you recognize that there are many different users and requirements that dont match your own? Or you feel you are the only one that matters in this world? 

Tell me how to do that then, if you are so confident with your speakers.

•  I want to watch netflix app on my phone and have the sound on SONOS.
  • I want to listen to Google podcasts  with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to watch my camera videos with the sound on SONOS. 
  • I want to listen to whatsapp voicenotes with the sound on SONOS. 
  • MANY MORE 

Dont tell me to use different apps, please spare the suggestions. I am not going to change my preferred usage just because of SONOS limitations. 

Sonos is a billion dollar a year company, not a hobbyist open source programmer working out of their basement.  Right now Google and Sonos aren’t on very good terms, and if Sonos ever tried to implement unauthorized Chromecast functionality, Google would sue them into oblivion.

Sonos has already written an API that has been used by several streamers to implement this functionality. Google just has to take the time to implement this as well, using the provided API. It’s not something Sonos can do, as they don’t have the ability to access Google’s code base. 

This is false. Implementing casting to Chromecast is easy, and Sonos could solve this without working together with (or asking permission from) Google.

See here and here for examples of open source implementations.

As has been stated before, Sonos has already written an API that has been used by several streamers to implement this functionality. Google just has to take the time to implement this as well, using the provided API. It’s not something Sonos can do, as they don’t have the ability to access Google’s code base. 

I can only agree to everyone here. For such an expensive product there is no excuse to be lacking such a basic functionality!

Please just add the Chromecast integration!

Sorry, there’s been often and repeated requests for Sonos to allow playback of both A/V streams and audio only streams via Chromecast. My response above was particular to A/V streams, but not particular to just audio. 

Sonos has implemented part of their system to allow connection to newer devices using AirPlay 2. I’d assume that they’ve offered that same “connection” method to Google, but Google would have to choose to implement it, and given the legal situation between Google and Sonos, I could easily see Google not being excited about implementing additional features to user’s ability to use Chromecast to send to a Sonos device.

But there’s been no official Sonos announcement about it, and I don’t frequent any Google boards to know if there’s been any discussion and/or commitment  by Google personnel to providing that change. 

Would that be a responsibility of Google, not Sonos, to change their system to allow separate but simultaneous casting of video and audio?

Why would you need to cast video to sonos devices? You can cast to speakers without the video feed there are several speakers that do that. That means the stream of audio and video are already seperated. If you want to cast video to a tv with the sonos arc connected you could buy a tv which has a chromecast or buy a chromecast for the tv. Does this answer your question? Maybe I misunderstood your question.

Would that be a responsibility of Google, not Sonos, to change their system to allow separate but simultaneous casting of video and audio?

like this pls it could help us get chromecast functionality 

No news at all.

Any news on Sonos implementing cast from Android phones? I thought there are more Android users than Apple which should be a good reason to update...