Answered

Chromebook support

Userlevel 2
New owner of an Acer R13 Chromebook, unable to utilise my Sonos system as Sonos do not support Chrombook OS
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 29 May 2019, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 2
So SONOS what I request that support for Chromebooks is placed firmly on the software development agenda with a timescale for development and integration provided.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Moodymike,

Welcome to the community. At this time, the Sonos app is not available to run on Chromebooks. I'll submit a feature request to add Chromebook support to our development team. We don't have a timeline we can share for this feature, but we'll be sure to make an announcement if we have any updates.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Mike, it probably depends on which CBook you're using...

On a 2015 Pixel the Sonos Android app has generally been working pretty well for some time.

Jeff S's comment above that "the Sonos app is not available to run on Chromebooks" is simply nonsensical. It's an Android app in the Play Store so Chromebooks can install and will attempt to run it - just like any other Android app - the only question is to what extent it actually works.

My own experience is that when CBooks first got the ability to run Android apps via ARC 2-3 years back, the Sonos app worked for me (but with high CPU), then it stopped working, then more recently following Play Store CBook integration it's worked pretty well for a while (full featured; occasionally gets a glitch). "By accident", clearly, as Sonos staff don't really appear to much about it or be much interested in it. Shame!
Mike, it probably depends on which CBook you're using...

On a 2015 Pixel the Sonos Android app has generally been working pretty well for some time.

Jeff S's comment above that "the Sonos app is not available to run on Chromebooks" is simply nonsensical.

Perhaps Jeff could have been more precise in saying that the android app is not supported to run on chromebooks, but that hardly classifies as nonsensical.
My own experience is that when CBooks first got the ability to run Android apps via ARC 2-3 years back, the Sonos app worked for me (but with high CPU), then it stopped working, then more recently following Play Store CBook integration it's worked pretty well for a while (full featured; occasionally gets a glitch). "By accident", clearly, as Sonos staff don't really appear to much about it or be much interested in it. Shame!

Not at all surprising for an use case that is not supported. It might work for a bit, but Sonos is not going to test and develop updates to ensure it continues to work on chromebooks. And can you seriously blame Sonos staff for this. They surely are instructed by management not to waste timing and giving a confusing message to customers by putting any effort into chromebook support. If you must blame someone, blame Sonos management for mot putting out a budget for support. Better yet, blame the masses who aren't throwing out their Windows in favor of chromebook, so that supporting chromebook makes economic sense.
Sonos is surely aware that Chrome OS is currently the fastest growing OS. Chromebooks have outsold MacBooks for several years now. A huge percentage of Android apps work on Chrome OS. They are running out of excuses to not support it.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/united-states-of-america
Your link shows Chrome at around 6% in the US. However, that doesn't reflect sales, but what OS people are using to browse the internet. I'm not sure how well that reflects the volume of users that would use chromebook to control Sonos if it was an option or how it would effect Sonos product sales.
This appears to be working now through Play Store app. Finally.. Thank you Sonos for adding this support!
nope still not working on my chrome book ? come on sonos get your act together let us play on chrome book and you tube
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There is no official Sonos app for my Xbox, my TiVo, my Windows Phones, my Apple TV, my Samsung fridge, either.

I use the official apps on my PC, iPhone, SonoPad on my iPad, and my own apps for my Xbox and WP devices. My TiVo and Fridge remain Sonos-less but I have enough remaining choices to be ok.
Userlevel 1

Hello, not sure this will work for everyone but I found that if I start the discovery, shutdown wifi and then brough wifi back up it found the speaker (play5).  Hope this helps others.

Badge +1

Add my voice to this request.  Owner of an Acer Spin 13, with 11 various pieces of Sonos equipment...

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Add my voice to this request.  Owner of an Acer Spin 13, with 11 various pieces of Sonos equipment...

Did you try the suggestion in the post above yours and here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/chromebook-support-6826143#post16368223

Worked for me, worth a try.

I just got a sonos one please add casting feature from andriod much appreciated

Badge +1

Did you try the suggestion in the post above yours and here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/chromebook-support-6826143#post16368223

Worked for me, worth a try.

Don’t know how I missed this...thanks for pointing out my miss (seriously...no snark).  

I did this today and had to stop and restart the Sonos app after the Wifi juggle...but it connected!  Thanks again for the nudge...and to BrianTD for the suggestion.

Hello, not sure this will work for everyone but I found that if I start the discovery, shutdown wifi and then brough wifi back up it found the speaker (play5).  Hope this helps others.

I can’t believe I didn’t try this. Thanks!

This is a tremendous disappointment.  Having invested so much money in Sonos, some of the recent news that’s come down the pipeline is disappointing such as no longer supporting older products, lack of AirPlay support on Play 1 and Play 3’s…. 

Just purchased a new Google Pixelbook and cannot even control my Sonos via the Android app… Other apps have been tailored to work on both Android & ChromeOS.  Get your act together Sonos!  You have loyal customers but that will change if you can’t keep up with the times!

Please, Sonos, add Chrome OS to your list of supported operating systems.  This would improve my home life immensely, especially after you removed the option of controlling your speakers directly from an iphone.

Thank you.

Please, Sonos, add Chrome OS to your list of supported operating systems.  This would improve my home life immensely, especially after you removed the option of controlling your speakers directly from an iphone.

You can still control the system from an iPhone. It’s the ability to play local files stored on the iDevice which had to be withdrawn as a result of changes in iOS.

As for ChromeOS, I don’t anticipate Sonos offering support until other apps which rely upon local network comms start behaving in a ‘normal’ fashion.

please add my voice to this request as well.  Just got lenovo duet Chromebook and sonos app doesn't work.  It let me perform an update but now the Android app just shuts down immediately after starting.

+1

The Android app sort of works on my Acer 714 Chromebook. It’s not consistent - it times out occasionally and needs to be closed/open again. Also, it doesn’t support re-sizing the window.

Similar experience on my Pixel Slate.

Certainly not a consistently good experience - support on ChromeOS (or at least the Android app on ChromeOS) would be hugely appreciated!

+1

The Android app sort of works on my Acer 714 Chromebook. It’s not consistent - it times out occasionally and needs to be closed/open again. Also, it doesn’t support re-sizing the window.

Similar experience on my Pixel Slate.

Certainly not a consistently good experience - support on ChromeOS (or at least the Android app on ChromeOS) would be hugely appreciated!

The network/security model used by ChromeOS stops local network apps like Sonos from working consistently. I wouldn’t expect any progress until ChromeOS changes.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos should make it clear that the app does not run on Chromebooks. 
Ideally they should block the install rather than leave us all frustrated with Sonos.

Sonos should make it clear that the app does not run on Chromebooks.

They do.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4875

Mobile device OS requirements

Android 7.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)

Had some fun on my ChromeBox getting the excellent Nuvola Linux apps to cast to my Sonos speakers.  Had to modify the pulseaudio-dlna Python app slightly, so that it sends the external IP of Chrome OS to the speakers, vs the virtual Linux IP.  I run pulseaudio-dlna as a service, so it’s always available.  Opened up port 8080 TCP and port 1900 UDP via the Linux port-forwarding UI in Chrome OS.   Then the Linux PulseAudio Volume Control app to select the output device.

Nuvola has scripts for Qobuz, Amazon Music, and many others, all of which work nicely using this hack, and frankly has a nicer UI than the Sonos app, IMO - obviously without all the grouping, etc that I really never use.

BTW, I listen via YouTube a lot.  The Nuvola YouTube script works nicely to send YouTube audio to my Sonos speakers.  The audio’s out of sync, but most of what I listen to has static images vs live video.