chromebook and sonos

acer chromebook 14 cb3-431 according to google this chromebook runs google apps . when i install the sonos app it will not connect to the internet even if sonos is running on my phone
i would really like to link sonos up to my chromebook as my lap top is getting old . this problem only seems to have occured after the last uodate . before i could play the radio through sonos but could not find my external hard drive ?

can any one help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Comes and goes; your queue will likely be stale tomorrow, and won't properly update.

ChromeOS market share is growing very, very quickly, will be among the primary OS's in a few years (already is in Education, having basically taken over the market from the arrogant and always over-priced Apple). So, hopefully, Sonos will take notice, realize how simple it is to support (as it runs Android apps), and add official support.

Agree that ... huge market and growing at a rate. Not to be ignored. And agree the Apple comment for what it's worth.

Well 18 odd hours on and everything still working remarkably well, off multiple services and zero wireless issues so far. Too good to be true. No amount of time to play today but will this evening if still up and running.

Have not applied the mid Jan ChromeOS update mentioned. May leave a couple of days to run Sonos and see how the patient does. Will keep you posted.
Comes and goes; your queue will likely be stale tomorrow, and won't properly update.
Yep. Working okay(ish) last night, but this morning it's back to its usual hit-and-miss behaviour. Difficulty finding the system, and not consistently updating.

The acid test is whether a reset controller will correctly associate with a household when it detects multiple households on the subnet and asks for buttons to be pressed on a player. This indicates whether it can open ports in the firewall for the player's broadcast, and hence for regular event notifications. Still no dice.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Yep. Working okay(ish) last night, but this morning it's back to its usual hit-and-miss behaviour. Difficulty finding the system, and not consistently updating.

The acid test is whether a reset controller will correctly associate with a household when it detects multiple households on the subnet and asks for buttons to be pressed on a player. This indicates whether it can open ports in the firewall for the player's broadcast, and hence for regular event notifications. Still no dice.

When you say detects multiple controllers Ratty what does that mean Please? I have quite a few Sonos units and models and seems be fine on all right now.

Nearest I can find to a fault is that on the track play image screen (showing queue or not) that it can drop out to the room list on white background. Mind I think the Android version on phone or Nexus also does that from memory.

All my devices are on wired connections but of course Pixelbook to Router is wireless. Have not rebooted or suchlike but behaviour is near to perfect right now.
When you say detects multiple controllers Ratty what does that mean Please? I have quite a few Sonos units and models and seems be fine on all right now.I said 'multiple households' (i.e. systems). I have two (at least, sometimes more) separate systems co-existing on the same network, each with multiple players.

Nearest I can find to a fault is that on the track play image screen (showing queue or not) that it can drop out to the room list on white background. Mind I think the Android version on phone or Nexus also does that from memory.
If the Now Playing is collapsing down to the bottom spontaneously it's most probably the connection dropping and re-establishing.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
When you say detects multiple controllers Ratty what does that mean Please? I have quite a few Sonos units and models and seems be fine on all right now.I said 'multiple households' (i.e. systems). I have two (at least, sometimes more) separate systems co-existing on the same network, each with multiple players.

If the Now Playing is collapsing down to the bottom spontaneously it's most probably the connection dropping and re-establishing.

OK, and unfortunately (after about 24 hours) I just got the 'application has just failed would you like to close app' message .... shame but best I've seen for a few months.