chromebook and sonos

acer chromebook 14 cb3-431 according to google this chromebook runs google apps . when i install the sonos app it will not connect to the internet even if sonos is running on my phone
i would really like to link sonos up to my chromebook as my lap top is getting old . this problem only seems to have occured after the last uodate . before i could play the radio through sonos but could not find my external hard drive ?

can any one help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do wish Sonos would look at a web based solution so every platform that can run a web browser would be supported.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Rather than supporting a bunch of different hardware platforms why not make a web based Sonos controller? One that would work on almost any system.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Bought a new Pixelbook i7 .... and Sonos ran perfectly for many weeks. Indeed was one of the reasons to buy as my other half struggles (as I do) with small screen smart phones.

Then one Saturday night with too much wine, it stopped ... assumed was my wifi and wine consumption so grabbed the old Nexus 7 and worked a treat as it always has.

Assumed it was a simple issue but thought would check it on the forum. Amazed to find it was so common an issue and as someone on one of the posts mentioned this is a massive and growing market, not a clever niche one based on odd tech.

Understand the 'not supported' discussion and indeed the 'check before you buy' one but a. it worked perfectly ... so clearly it's do'able and b. it's a big big growth area so surely this needs be taken on board?
It does appear that the Android controller has stopped working on ChromeOS. V8.6 used to work on my ASUS C302 Chromebook, albeit with occasional glitches, yet the new version consistently refuses to connect.

Android apps with particular local networking requirements don't necessarily work well on Chromebook, and ChromeOS is indeed not officially supported by Sonos. That said, I do understand that Sonos are aware of the current situation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Amazed to find it was so common an issue and as someone on one of the posts mentioned this is a massive and growing market, not a clever niche one based on odd tech.

Understand the 'not supported' discussion and indeed the 'check before you buy' one but a. it worked perfectly ... so clearly it's do'able and b. it's a big big growth area so surely this needs be taken on board?

Chrome OS and Android are converging into a unified experience with a clear direction of travel.

Google itself appears on the cusp of releasing a Chrome OS Pixel device that's either a 2-in-1 convertible/detachable or pure Chrome OS (dockable) tablet, with Android-running-on-ChromeOS being the UX when in tablet mode, and app developers being guided and expected to respond to this direction of travel.

Sonos' attitude: shrug shoulders, "nothing to do with me, guv".

Really not very impressive.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Just noticed this myself.

Been using the Sonos Android app on Chrome OS for some time now, and in the main it worked well with just a few minor issues. But 'Game Over' since the latest Sonos update. Per ratty, Sonos app can no longer connect at all, akin to how it was in the very early days of running Android apps on Chromebooks...

Tragic!
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Just catching up this one. I certainly don't regret buying Sonos. And it would have to be said, we should not just assume things will work. I did, I got bit!

That said, I still ask, why it worked so nicely, for so long and then simply stopped?

That is more of an issue ... despite my lack of pre-purchase homework.

I don't mind to wait for a solution .... hey I'm one of those who waited eon's for the Audible solution! 🙂 .... and when it came, it was spot on.

Waiting for road map changes and responses is ok with me .... but some word on direction would be nice .... even if it's Jan 2020! An expectation I can live with even if it's a disappointing one.
So, probably a firewall issue. This Chrome extension for Sonos won't work on ChromeOS because of an incoming port being blocked. Doesn't appear to be an easy way to open ports on ChromeOS, without going into dev mode, which does a powerwash. Not ready to go there right now.

https://github.com/siboulet/zonos

Known Issues
Firewall on Chromebook
Zonos uses port TCP/3400 for receiving events from the Sonos system (as per Sonos documentation). Currently, it is not possible to open the firewall on Google Chromebook.
Comes and goes; your queue will likely be stale tomorrow, and won't properly update.

ChromeOS market share is growing very, very quickly, will be among the primary OS's in a few years (already is in Education, having basically taken over the market from the arrogant and always over-priced Apple). So, hopefully, Sonos will take notice, realize how simple it is to support (as it runs Android apps), and add official support.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Comes and goes; your queue will likely be stale tomorrow, and won't properly update.

ChromeOS market share is growing very, very quickly, will be among the primary OS's in a few years (already is in Education, having basically taken over the market from the arrogant and always over-priced Apple). So, hopefully, Sonos will take notice, realize how simple it is to support (as it runs Android apps), and add official support.

Agree that ... huge market and growing at a rate. Not to be ignored. And agree the Apple comment for what it's worth.

Well 18 odd hours on and everything still working remarkably well, off multiple services and zero wireless issues so far. Too good to be true. No amount of time to play today but will this evening if still up and running.

Have not applied the mid Jan ChromeOS update mentioned. May leave a couple of days to run Sonos and see how the patient does. Will keep you posted.
thanks for your reply
once again i will likely just have to wait till sonos decide to fix the problem the same as they are doing with you tube ???????

i am being to regret buying sonos and this chromebook
I just purchased an ASUS Chromebook c302... after too many hours of trying to get the Sonos app to recognize my Sonos set-up.... a play 5 and a boost, I gave up. Along with the new C302, I got a new cable modem and router so I was thinking it was a new network issue instead of Sonos app. Except my phone and desktop still could connect to Sonos. Reading this thread was the nail in the coffin of hope. But maybe someday.

I crawled into bed with my new Chromebook and was going to cast music to my TV with my Chromebook dongle via Google Play Music app. What's this? My play 5 (actually my workbench speaker group) was recognized and it allowed me to cast to it.

As I type this I am casting music with my Chromebook to my play 5.

Chrome OS Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

FYI: Maybe Play Music app will work for some of you.
Badge
Add me to the list of disappointed chromebook users (Pixelbook). Same issue as described above - was working great and now can't connect.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think Sonos' claim that it's "not supported on Chromebooks" is beginning to sound lame...

Chromebooks are today generally running Android 7.1.1 - a supported target OS for Sonos - albeit via a different mechanism to mobile devices running Android. The Sonos app is running on Android (running on Chrome OS). Android running on Chrome OS is at the stage where I'd expect app developers to be doing what they can to ensure their apps function correctly on these platforms unless prevented from doing so by underlying OS deficiencies (and if these exist to be communicating them to Google).

Folks aren't side-loading the Sonos app; they're installing it on Android (running on Chrome OS) via the official Google Play Store. Chromebooks running Android is old news; it's mainstream stuff that I'd expect Sonos as a major developer to have got its head around.
I'm inclined to agree. However the fact remains that the networking architecture of Android-on-ChromeOS is significantly different from native Android. Try running other network apps like Fing or WiFi scanners. They only work partially.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think it's now past time where these differences (eg. https://developer.android.com/topic/arc/#check_for_networking_requirements ) should be being taken account of by app developers where it's possible to do so in order to ensure correct functioning. If OS deficiencies exist, developers obviously get a pass until Google addresses the underlying issue, but not otherwise.

Android on Chromebooks is still a niche, granted, but it's a mainstream (and growing) niche, not alpha/beta channel stuff, so my view is developers should be doing the work to ensure app compatibility. Claiming instead that they don't support it looks well out of touch with Android on ChromeOS's current status and direction of travel.

But preaching to the converted on this thread, innit 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd suggest that the Chromebook is an adequate replacement, for some situations, for the discontinued and now unsupported CR-100. It isn't as convenient with easy to press buttons but at least it is fast to boot up (unlike a laptop) and doesn't require users to use a touch screen (like a tablet or phone) so it fits a good niche of users.

We bought a Chromebook hoping it would work and if we had to but a newer one to run Sonos on we'd do that.
Partial Workaround: Strongly agree that it's not acceptable for Sonos to not support Chromebooks. I expect the $500 - $700 per speaker I paid to buy reasonable software support.

However you can use the google music app - and cast to your sonos. Not many people on Google Play Music though, and I think you're limited to one speaker.
Same problem on my Samsung plus chromebook. Some are saying you can get Google music app to connect to Sonos. How exactly?
Userlevel 2
I am having the same problem... was working fine but recently Sonos app on Chromebook can no longer find the system. Shame.
I have had the same problem since the last Sonos update. Exchanged emails with three different Sonos support techs and all they replied is "Sonos is not supported on Chromebooks". I wish that I knew a way to prevent the app from installing as other non-compatible apps do. Maybe they will fix?
+1 please help correct this. The android app won't connect on Pixelbook.
Note that Sonos has clearly stated that they don't support Chromebooks, so it's unlikely that they're going to "fix" this. Here's the list:

supported OS
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Same problem on my Samsung plus chromebook. Some are saying you can get Google music app to connect to Sonos. How exactly?
For google play music to "cast to sonos" from within the GPM app, you need to have the sonos app on the same android device.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
For google play music to "cast to sonos" from within the GPM app, you need to have the sonos app on the same android device.

?

On my Chromebook Pixel, the Android GPM app can cast to Sonos without the Android Sonos app being installed.