Answered

Chromebook

Badge
Hi, Any of you have success using the Sonos app on a Chromebook? I'd like to be able to control the system from it with the app since it now supports Android Apps but it doesn't update on playback all time time.
icon

Best answer by ratty 22 July 2018, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Hi Greg

Welcome to the Community

Technically the App is only supported on Android devices at the moment.

Which Chromebook are you using?

Many thanks
I have a dell chromebook running on the developer channel and the sonos android app is fully working

Version 59.0.3071.25 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am having success. I have the new acer Chromebook 15 and I am running the current software on the stable channel. It works fine until I update something on my phone, say change a grouping, and then the app on the Chromebook is unaware of the change. If I shut my Chromebook down and restart it, then its aware, but if I close and reopen the app it has no effect. So there is something lacking still in Googles adaption of Android on the Chromebook, but its close. If one of the Sonos developers tries this out, they may find a simple solution. This may even identify to a developer a buggy area of code that is currently being overlooked because it isn't presenting itself as an issue on the phone or tablet. Its close enough that Sonos should give the proper attention to it soon.
I am having this issue as well. It's too bad this isn't considered a priority.
I am interested in a solution for this as well. Just got a new Chromebook and didn't realize it would be an issue.
Ditto! We had no idea we could access SONOS New Acer Chromebook 11, sad... 😞
I have a brand new ASUS chromebook and when I went to set it up today, I cannot get Sonos to work. I DO have the correct router chosen, I DID unplug the router even though I was/am using Sonos just fine on my old tablet (Samsung). So, the new Sonos app won't work with Chromebooks?! Come ON...It's not like Chromebook (OS?) is brand new...
Userlevel 1
Badge
The Android App is supported on my Samsung Chromebook Plus and works just fine. I'm running ChromeOS Version 62.0.3202.97 and control all of my services and speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm clueless about Chromebooks, never really used one but we have it as the wife needed something to look at web pages that was light and cheap.

How do I go about finding the Sonos app for the Chromebook, a Samsung XE-503 if that matters. I have failed at that today and would appreciate any clues.

Gotta find a replacement for my CR-100 controllers that the wife can use, they are slowly dying. We don't have Apple or Microsoft so the desktop controllers aren't going to work for us. She has problems using a tablet but can get by with the Chromebook.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is no ChromeOS app for the SONOS Controller, however Google is in the process of adding Android support to ChromeOS. Here is a list of the Chromebooks that can run Android apps, and thus are capable of running the Android SONOS Controller on a Chromebook:

https://www.androidcentral.com/these-are-chromebooks-can-run-android-apps

Unfortunately, I believe the Samsung XE-503 is a Samsung Chromebook 2, and Android support begins with the Samsung Series 3. The Samsung Chromebook 2 XE500C12 is on the list to get support someday, but I'm not familiar enough with Samsung's line to affirmatively say that yours too will get support someday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well rats, thanks for the help anyway. I'll keep track of this in the future and see if it progresses to the point it would work for the wife.

I should have bought more CR-100s on ebay back when they were going cheap!
I have Android apps running on my chromebook (Asus flip c302ca). It works fine although a little strange... I have the impression I'm missing some things. But what...
stanley how's the wife
stanley how's the wifeWell rats, thanks for the help anyway. I'll keep track of this in the future and see if it progresses to the point it would work for the wife.

I should have bought more CR-100s on ebay back when they were going cheap!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
[quote=311tim]stanley how's the wife

Wife is fine with the Sonos, aside from an inability to deal with touch screens, they aggravate her to no end. She wouldn't say no to a Linux desktop controole though.
Badge
I just tried the app today with my Asus C302A AC on the off chance that it would work and so far so good. It's even supportive of the larger screen.
Badge
Hi Greg

Welcome to the Community

Technically the App is only supported on Android devices at the moment.

Which Chromebook are you using?

Many thanks

Hi Matt, sorry for the delay, I never got a notification about your comment. It's the Asus C302c. So far, so good.
Superficially it appears to work on the ASUS. However one then realises that event notifications are a bit hit-and-miss, so the controller doesn't always respond when the track changes, nor when for example volume is adjusted on a different controller.

It's been gradually getting better, and maybe ChromeOS 64 will bring additional improvements.

I suspect an issue is that occasionally the Sonos player sees the controller as being on an IP address which is evidently the internal Android/ChromeOS bridge, rather than on the Chromebook's usual IP. Before the censoring of the diagnostic information at x.x.x.x:1400/status I recall seeing a strange address in some of the logged error messages.
I'm seeing this issue as well. I'm on a Google Pixelbook running ChromeOS 67.0.33.96.99. The Sonos app has never worked properly. I have a connect bridge (old school), Play 5, Play 3 and two Play 1s. Using Google Wifi as my router if that makes a difference.

- I installed the Sonos app from the Play Store and it's running as an Android app.
- I have two other devices that work perfectly: a Google Pixel 2 XL and a Thinkpad running Windows 10.

Behavior I see:

1) Chromebook Sonos App showing no queue.
2) Rarely the Chromebook will show the proper song playing back and proper queue. If I skip a song via my phone, it won't reflect on the Chromebook and it will just get "stuck" on the original song and the queue will disappear.
3) I've tried closing the app and opening it again with no success. The progress bar on the song is stuck, and the song remains the same even when the next song starts playing. The queue usually shows "No Queue" at this point as well.
4) One time out of the many I tried, togging between the Now Playing screen and the My Sonos screen would refresh the Now Playing screen

I am a huge Sonos fan, and got the Chromebook to use as a home automation hub. I never thought that the Sonos Android app would be the one to let me down!
acer chromebook 14 cb3-431 according to google this chromebook runs google apps . when i install the sonos app it will not connect to the internet even if sonos is running on my phone
Got pixelbook and app does not work for me either..
Badge +1
I have an Acer CB515-1HT-P39B that runs many Android apps. The Sonos app installs and runs but does not connect to Sonos.
Operation on ChromeOS broke at Sonos v9.0. Sonos is aware, but given that Chromebook is not officially supported it's anyone's guess when the controller might start working again.
Userlevel 2
I'm looking to move my PC from Windows to a Chromebook, any idea when there will be an official app/support?
There's currently no suggestion that there will ever be official app/support. That being said, Sonos rarely tells us what they're working on until it's ready to release, so there's no guaranty either way whether it will happen, or not.