Choosing new playlist - clearing queue - Brilliant Controller

• 9 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have a Brilliant light switch controller in our master bathroom. It controls the lights and the Sonos ConnectAmp in our master bedroom, that drives speakers in the master bedroom and another pair in the master bathroom (using a Niles speaker selector). If I use the iOS app to move from one playlist to another, I'm asked if I want to add to or replace the queue. When I select a new playlist from the Brilliant device (it only displays my "favorites", so I can only choose playlists listed as favorites), it automatically adds to the queue, so I get a mix of playlists. This is annoying since playlists are collections of songs that are part of a theme (for example, you may have a hard rock playlist and an acoustic guitar playlist).

Typically, when you choose a playlist to listen to, you want to listen to that particular group of songs - rarely will you want to mix playlists.

Sonos should give you the following options when you change from one playlist to another: (1) always ask if you want to add or replace; (2) always add; or (3) always replace. For those who like to blend playlists, they can choose the 1st option. Others can either set a default to either always add or always replace.

Anyone agree?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Important to note that whatever controls/macros your Brilliant controller offers, think about what's happening from a Sonos perspective. You have a temporary play queue of tracks that is fed from whatever playlists/albums/tracks you choose to play, either by adding to, inserting into, or replacing the queue. If you need all these options (and it sounds like you do), then you might just have to accept using the Sonos controller (or another 3rd-party alternative) to do certain things. It's the on-the-fly queue assembly from various sources that allows for, as you describe it, the "mixing"/"blending" of playlists.

On the plus side, you seem to have quick access to favourite playlists, which is something the official Sonos controllers have struggled with over the last few years.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I completely understand, but given so many third party integration options....and they keep growing, it would be great if you could choose how to manage the queue from Sonos itself. For example, if I choose to use a third party controller, I may want the default to be "replace queue when changing playlists" or "replace a when choosing album", etc. And, yes, having easy access to the playlists from a wall-mounted panel is fantastic. And it has alexa included, so I can say "alexa, play Classic Vinyl on SiriusXm in Master bedroom" and it will do it....very nice controller
I have made buttons on a keypad for my customer - each one should launch a different "my sonos" favorite. Problem is that it just adds the music from that favorite into the "queue". I agree that Sonos should have a settings "option" that we could enable or disable the adding to existing queue. In the meantime I will research sending a "clear queue" command prior to sending the my sonos favorite command.