Question

Cheap Apple device to do Trueplay?

• 15 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I asked this Apple / Trueplay question a year ago and went with a borrowed phone, now have a few more Sonos and wanted to get my own Apple whatever but the Sonos support page is pretty much no help.

---------

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3222?language=en_US

Supported mobile devices

Trueplay tuning is available on all fully-supported iOS or iPadOS devices that can run the Sonos app,

----------

Trying a chat session was equally frustrating with the same answer.

Not having owned an Apple anything since my Apple II how do I figure out what devices are fully supported? Knowing which will soon be unsupported so I don’t have to buy another soon would be good too.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It’s all down to the version of iOS that Sonos supports(ios 11 and above) and which Models Apple updates.  Hope this helps….but it may confuse more!!!

The current iOS for phones is 13.x

Versions of iOS 12 and lower are the same for iPad and iPhone.  HOWEVER this year they have a dedicated firmware for iPad OS is version 13.x  They update every year so next year will be 14.x…..

So, for Sonos, you are looking for an iPad or iPhone that supports iOS 11 or above.  You could get a cheap second hand iPhone 6(Apple ios 12) or better still an iPhone 6s which supports iOS 13.

For iPads you have the choice of(newest models at the top):-

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
  • iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
  • iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad mini 2

If you want some longevity then those supporting the new iPAd OS 13:-

I’d recomend the standard latest iPad for £350 if you want the cheapest new device.  Also Album Artwork looks great on the iPad in portrait mode with the queue turned off :D

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-10-2

Failing that any of the above second hand.

Apple have their many annoyances but they do update the OS on ALL their devices for normally 4 years or more, the iPhone 6 came out in 2014 and only just stopped being supported by the latest OS.

Hope that has helped!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What about the latest (May 2019) iPod Touch, from $199? Does Sonos endow that with TruePlay support?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If that is the series 7 iPd touch then it says comming soon for Sonos Trueplay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It’s all down to the version of iOS that Sonos supports(ios 11 and above) and which Models Apple updates.  Hope this helps….but it may confuse more!!!

Thanks, that is just what I needed, I’m off to shop the used market, I’ll start with the second list. If I spent another 350 on another toy after grabbing three Beam systems under the trade-up deal the wife will likely scream.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My brain and eyes are fried from shopping, I’m saying pffffttt (have to stay family friendly here) and putting the Touch 7 on my shopping list for when Sonos announces support.

I really couldn’t find anything that looked like it was going to stay in support long for much cheaper. Since it will be used for one round of Trueplay and rarely again I guess this is the best option.