Question

Change the default playback so that shuffle and repeat are off.

• 24 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off shuffle and repeat as default playback settings? I looked in the settings but could not find it. It's very annoying that every time I want to listen to an album, I have to go into the player and turn these features off immediately and then restart playback at Track 1. I would rather be able to set the default playback mode to once only and in album order. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

On is not the default. The default is whatever you had them last set to. Turn them off once and they should never be on again until you actually set them to on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The setting on iOS and Android is accessed through the now playing screen. Hit the button to display the play queue, the the right of the volume bar, and they are both at the top of the screen. They will be red if activated, just tap to turn them white and off.
Jgatie that has NEVER happened for me. I have to turn them off all of the time. And I've made sure that the app is up-to-date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Do you have an alarm set for that room which uses a playlist or the queue? The alarms will turn on repeat, though not shuffle.
Ryan, my alarms automatically turn on both shuffle and repeat for playlists; I don't mind the shuffle in this instance but I do find the looping annoying. My bigger issue is when I just want to listen to a single album. I hit play and it starts playing one of the tracks but in a random order. I don't want that to happen. I want the tracks to play sequentially. And repeat is automatically on.
Tap the album to open the track list. Hit Play All. This starts play and turns shuffle off.

Other interactions from the popup/context menu -- Play Now, Replace Queue, etc -- leave the shuffle flag unchanged.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well I am having the same problem when setting an alarm it always turns on the repeat. I save what is in the queue to a playlist and make sure that the repeat is off. But when the Alarm is activated the the repeat symbol shows that it is active.

Also in the settings for the alarm there is a Duration setting why is that needed when a playlist is replacing content in the queue? I would say the logical decision would be to play the queue since it was just loaded. I really don't want to calculate the length of all my playlists. If I set the duration to something longer it will play it until that duration is reached. Tried to set it to 0 in the hopes that it will interpret that as play what is in the queue but no such luck always enters 00:01. There is a tick box for shuffle but none for repeat.

This started to happen with software version 8.2.* and now also with software version 8.4*. What settings do I need to have the queue played once through it's content and then stop.

After searching the forum it looks like this is an intended change introduced with software version 8.2. This does not reflect an intelligent software development team decision or choice. Only worst decision is to brick the CR100 controllers after software update.
You're right. Sonos changed it such that an alarm which loads and plays the queue automatically sets it onto Queue Repeat. One assumes their logic was that if an alarm of X minutes was requested then music should play for X minutes, even if the queue had to loop to do it. IIRC, before this change the alarm would revert to the dreaded Sonos chime if the queue was exhausted.

As noted in another thread, Sonos are apparently reconsidering this.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks for your reply and the glimmer of hope it contains. Like many others who commented here, I have a playlist with very specific songs that I can handle in the morning and that sets the mood for the rest of the day. I never had to put a length of time into the Alarm settings. Just start of time and about an hour of music followed. To replicate this I have to do the following and I will do it just for 1 Playlist because of the work involved.

Determine the length of the duration of the queue then add 1 minute of silence to the end. Play it once through because time is added when switching tracks. Add the one minute of silence and then set in the Alarm settings the duration so that it will cut off during the silence.

A bit of a hassle / pfaff to get this done. Hopefully they will bring back a setting that allows to play the queue once through.