Answered

Certain Android versions

• 18 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Does a mix of different Android versions affect how the whole network works
icon

Best answer by Chris 18 January 2018, 02:09

Your 4.2.2 tablet won't hurt anything. You'll just notice if you go to the settings that many settings options will be missing because it can't handle. But as long as your doing any settings adjustments with your newer android devices then you'll never notice that the tablet is handicapped.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, it shouldn't. The Sonos system works off of your local wifi. The different android devices also connect to your local wifi.

The part that is on the android devices is the controller. Think of that like a remote control. The speakers are the TV set. You can change the remotes all you want, but the real 'guts' of the system is the TV. It's exactly the same with Sonos. All of the "guts' of the system is on the speakers, not in the app on the various android devices.
Badge
Makes sense. I ask because our controllers include 2 Windows devices that are "current OS", and 4 Android devices that are "current OS" and one Android device that, because of its age, is stuck at Android 4.2.2. I recently received an email from Sonos saying that I should make sure all my Android devices were a minimum of 4.3 in order to take advantage of new features.

Issue - the old 4.2.2 tablet is the one controller that we use 90% of the time because it's always sitting on a counter in the kitchen, not at "the other end of the house". So I guess that even if we want to use some "newer feature" of the controllers then we just have to go to a newer device and that one older device does not prevent any of the other up-to-date controllers from using the newer features. Sound OK?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your 4.2.2 tablet won't hurt anything. You'll just notice if you go to the settings that many settings options will be missing because it can't handle. But as long as your doing any settings adjustments with your newer android devices then you'll never notice that the tablet is handicapped.