Answered

Catalina Support

• 11 November 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Well Sonos, when are you going to support Apple MacOS 10.15 Catalina?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 18 January 2020, 03:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Catalina has been out for months, yet no Sonos compatibility. Can’t import playlists from iMac, so Sonos really isn’t much use!!

is this mainly a problem accessing playlists?  

I am trying to set up sonos on a new Mac with Catalina and can’t get the program to recognize my iTunes library even, but the error message that I get says 

Access to the sharedfolder “//new-mac-mini/OS Catalina Extended is denied - check the username and /or password

not sure whether my problem is Catalina or not ..

Badge

Yes I’ve still got problems … the whole music library on my main Mac. Sonos just won’t work with it. I tried many solutions. Someone suggested contacting Sonos and giving them access to my computer to help but I don’t have time and of course not so keen to give someone access to my computer. When I first got Sonos I thought (as one seldom does) “a tech that just works”. Sigh … Apple doesn’t make it any easier I know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, the main thread on Sonos and Catalina support is here, and as of a few software releases ago, Catalina is considered fully supported by Sonos. Even that playlist issue caused by MacOS Catalina dropping support for XML with their new Music app is resolved.

If you’re using an external drive, you may need to check some permissions outlined here, and if the playlists aren’t important, but you can see the rest of your music, you probably need to add a folder to your main music folder, not the external drive so that you have a structure that looks like /user/music/itunes as described here.

Badge

thanks but everything is up to date, after un-stalling the app on the iMac, and re-installing, etc, and it still doesn’t work. I have maybe 35,000 tracks and after trying to add my music library (many times) there’s nothing there (not even the new library I’ve just supposedly added). The library from my laptop, which has not been updated to Catalina as yet, is registered as there …. but only a tiny bit of it (as in a few files only). The file structure on my iMac is fine. I’m going to try Plex I guess. Or just give up. Sigh. No need to answer really. There’s a glitch somewhere but I don’t know where and I’m kind of tired of spending time trying to figure it out without success.

Badge

Another thing I’m a little surprised by is that I would have thought the Sonos App, like most, would actually ask for permissions that it needed e.g. for access to files and folders, when installing and setting up. It doesn’t do that. I’ve giving it permission anyway but .. 

Badge

although I did get Plex to work with Sonos which, as clunky as it is, kind of solves the problem for now. Plex scanned my music library relatively quickly with no problem. Strange.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I can confirm the issue of not importing playlists when Mac updated to Catalina is now resolved. Updated Mac to Catalina last night and all playlists are still available and continue to work.

thanks for fixing this, just a shame it took so long :wink:

Badge

I have found what solved the CATALINA issue for me… It was my Eset Security. In its logs I found entries that there was “no rule found for Sonos app.” What I finally did was: Open ESET, Setup, Firewall, Network traffic filtering, Setup, and Add a new rule for Sonos to allow all network connections, Entire internet and All directions.  I’m back up fine!