Question

Catalina set up should I ?

• 21 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

For security reasons, I am thinking of updating my Macintosh computers to Catalina.  I have concerns abut the OS update on my Mac mini, where I keep my music library and especially playlist.  Besides backing up my library, what other steps should I take?  Thanks for any replies.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi there,

As you might be aware, Apple has removed support from iTunes using .xml files. This essentially means that you cannot create a list of music for Sonos anymore. The workarounds are as follows:

Workaround(s)

• If possible, Airplay compatible speakers, they can airplay the respective playlists from the new Music App to Sonos.
  • Use iTunes on Windows to share music library to Sonos.
  • Create a folder called "iTunes" within the user's "music" folder. Then re index the Sonos Music library and the playlists within the Music App should now appear in Sonos.   *Note : Smart playlists are not supported for imported playlists on Sonos.
  • Subscribe to Apple Music and add as a service to Sonos. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Sebastien, thanks.  I think I will stay with macOS Mojave for my music server.  It seems to be working ok with Sonos and I will wait to see if Apple or Sonos create a way to connect playlist from my music library.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

No problem at all!