Answered

Cannot update to version 8.0 of the App on my IPhone.

• 4 October 2017
  • 17 replies

I currently have version 7.4 of the Sonos app on my Iphone 7 Plus. I want to update to version 8.0 of the Sonos Controller app. In the app, I click "Update Now" and it takes me to a screen saying "Sonos App Needs Updating." I press "Update," and I go to the Apple App store to the Sonos Controller app page. There is no opportunity to update. Instead the only button is "Open." I click "Open" and it takes me back to the Sonos app, which I already have on my Iphone. A circle. Suggestions on how step off the carousel and update my app to version 8.0? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by lenzrg 4 October 2017, 21:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Badge
I've got the exact same issue... very frustrating.
Had the same problem - just delete the current app and download fresh from the App store. You will then have 8.0.
Badge
Had the same problem - just delete the current app and download fresh from the App store. You will then have 8.0.

Thanks! Solution works perfectly 🙂
I had a similar issue on Amazon Fire app. I didn't need to delete the existing app - when I came out of the Sonos controller and went direct into the AppStore, it gave me the "update" option I needed, instead of "open". Not sure if the same would happen with iOS.
Fresh install from the store would solve the problem !
Fresh install from the store would solve the problem !Indeed, but wasn't necessary in my case.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have the same issue w iphone 6s plus and IOS 11(Stuck in a do nothing loop). If Delete and fresh install is needed then change the instructions with the notifications.
I am the original poster. Thanks for the suggestion to delete the old version of the app and reinstall. That worked. Now I need to take the time to set it up with Alexa so that I can use Echo speakers to verbally control my Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just a thought: I don't think this method is actually a total delete. The deleted app is sent to icloud! Then when you go to app store, it shows to download from icloud, which would normally just give you back what you deleted. BUT it did download v8.0. Maybe because I had already updated my laptop (pc) to v8.0. Which BTW updated with no problems.
ALSO for the iPhone app I had gotten used to the black background and liked it - the new version is a white background (ho-hum). It will take a little getting used to.
Badge
I just attempted to update to version 8 from my iPhone6s (iOS 11.02) and my MacBook Pro crashed!!! I started seeing shaky lines on a blank bright blue screen. It's so weird I took a video of it. I then tried to force my laptop to shutdown. Upon turning it back on, the graphics appeared in different shades of white and green. The Apple logo pixelated in weird way with choppy white and gray blocks for the loading animation. This was followed by a blank light gray screen and it just sits there 😞 :? HELP!!!!!! I want my laptop back! Has anyone experienced updating sonos app from iPhone CRASHES MacBook Pro?!
Badge
I just attempted to update to version 8 from my iPhone6s (iOS 11.02) and my MacBook Pro crashed!!! I started seeing shaky lines on a blank bright blue screen. It's so weird I took a video of it. I then tried to force my laptop to shutdown. Upon turning it back on, the graphics appeared in different shades of white and green. The Apple logo pixelated in weird way with choppy white and gray blocks for the loading animation. This was followed by a blank light gray screen and it just sits there 😞 :? HELP!!!!!! I want my laptop back! Has anyone experienced updating sonos app from iPhone CRASHES MacBook Pro?!
Badge
Here are some pics..

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Same problem and app delete/re-install from App store fixed it. Blitheringly stupid update process from Sonos with its users fixing a problem it neither acknowledges nor has a fix for. Totally crap update process code.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah sonos seem to have changed the update process, and split in two. One for the hardware, and one for controllers that get stuck in an eternal loop.
Un-install from controller & re-install a fresh sorts it out.
Yeah sonos seem to have changed the update process, and split in two. One for the hardware, and one for controllers that get stuck in an eternal loop.
Un-install from controller & re-install a fresh sorts it out.

Updates for the app and the hardware have always been separate, and I've never had this so called "eternal loop" problem. Though sometimes I have had to restart my device in order to get the update to take.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Maybe it is something to do with sonos not letting older controller versions more than one away from newest? (badly worded)
I have never had this before either.
To fix the issue,
Press and hold the on-off switch at the side of your iPhone or iPad and the lower volume control switch on the other side at the same time.
Keep both buttons pressed while your iPhone turns of.
Wait for it to restart before letting go of the buttons.

If you have an older iPhone or an iPad:

Press and hold the on-off switch at the top or side of your iPhone or iPad and the Home Button at the same time.
Keep both buttons pressed while your iPhone turns of.
Wait for it to restart before letting go of the buttons.

If you still persists the error, get it from https://tutuapphelpervip.com/