Cannot add a Sonos player to a system that I’ve kept on S1

I’ve kept my system on the S1 software because I think the S2 software isn’t yet mature and there are no compelling reasons to change.

When I try to add a Connect the Controller says it needs to update.  When I take that option I’m offered only the S2 app … that I don’t want.  There’s no other option.  It’s a really simple need: I just want to add a Connect to an existing S1 system.

Before anybody asks, yes all my hardware (including the extra Connect) is S2 compatible.  But no, I don’t want to migrate to S2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @bamber2001.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on.

• Is the Sonos Connect you’re trying to add to the existing system a brand-new Sonos device or a previously working Sonos device on your Sonos system?
  • What is the light status of the Sonos Connect you’re trying to add to the existing system?

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks.

Hello Paul and thanks for your attention.

• The Connect is a previously working device.  For unknown reasons it stopped being connected to the remainder of the system.  It just wasn’t visible.  I factory reset it and then tried to add it back.
  • The light on it is flashing green.

The problem is that I can find no way to add a product to a system in which all components are S2 compatible but the owner (me) wants to stay with S1.  The controller apps insist on upgrading to S2 first.  I don’t want to do that because

• there’s presently no functionality in S2 that I want
  • S2 is not yet a mature product and I like to wait many months before adopting new music software because I don’t want to risk trouble 
  • I might want to add in a [cheap, used] S1 product if somebody offers me one

Stay safe, Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What platform are you running the app on? Sometimes my PC S1 app tries to force me to upgrade (despite the fact I already have a split system), I just exit it and try again. Does this about 1 time in ten for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @bamber2001 

Thanks for the detailed response.

I would like to suggest turning off automatic updates on your Sonos S1 app by going through Settings tab, tap System > System Updates. You may want to try it again by turning off automatic updates then add product one more time.  If the issue persists, I would suggest submitting a diagnostic and call our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,

What platform are you running the app on? Sometimes my PC S1 app tries to force me to upgrade (despite the fact I already have a split system), I just exit it and try again. Does this about 1 time in ten for me.

I run Sonos controllers on three platforms, Windows, OS x and iOS.  This has worked well for me over the past several years.  (Aside from the mild annoyance that only smart device apps but not desktop controller applications permit certain service-oriented functionality).  I’ve seen the same problem on both iOS and Windows platforms.  Here’s a screenshot from an iOS device.  Touching update does the obvious; touching Done takes me back to my attempt to add a player.  So there’s no way of adding a Sonos 2-compatible player to a system still using Sonos 1 even though it’s compatible.

Partial screenshot from Sonos 1 app running under iOS

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @bamber2001.

Thanks for the details and for your immediate feedback.

I would recommend calling our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps. This is not a normal behavior since we did gave room/options to our customers. We gave them the decision making if they wanted to stay with the Sonos S1 app or upgrade with the Sonos S2 app. This includes adding products to the existing Sonos system running on S1 app even though the system is S2 compatible,. I would also recommend submitting a diagnostic so we can check if the Sonos devices are prompting any error messages on the diagnostic when you try to add a product on the Sonos app.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That is an App Update message, which seems valid. It needs the latest version of the S1 app before it can add anything to your S1 system. At least on mobile, an S1 app cannot auto-install the S2 app, so you should be safe. (PC/Mac do not have this restriction so more care needs to be taken).

(PC/Mac do not have this restriction so more care needs to be taken).

This is news to me; how can that be when the UI screen on my Mac says Sonos S1 controller on the top? If I opt for an update from inside that, will it somehow jump to S2 on its own?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your screenshot looks like it is from iOS, and on that platform one app cannot force install another. Based on that shot, your S1 app is saying it needs an update, which is fine and expected. If this is not iOS then ignore me, I know nothing of Macs.

@controlav : I sent no screenshot, so perhaps the above isn't a response to me. But to make things clear for anyone else that read this, the Sonos controller in a Mac OS environment on a Mac seems to be similar to how the S1 app works in iOS and Androids - it cannot move to S2 from within it.

Attached is a Mac screenshot though; does not the PC controller have a similar S1 designation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sorry I was confused as you jumped into someone else’s thread. Your Mac S1 app looks just like the PC S1 app. What is the problem then? If you want to move to S2 you need to install the S2 app. If you want to stick with S1 (which i recommend personally) then you are set.

. At least on mobile, an S1 app cannot auto-install the S2 app, so you should be safe. (PC/Mac do not have this restriction so more care needs to be taken).

The matter that needed clarification was the quoted bit above that suggested to me that PC/Macs do not have the restriction present on mobile phone S1 controllers, that prevent inadvertent upgrades to S2.

It seems to me that the restriction on Mac hosted controllers is there to the same extent as it is on mobile phone hosted ones; both will not move to S2 via using the update now feature within it. And based on your latest post, the same applies for the PC S1 app.

Badge +1

Hi @bamber2001 - Did you manage to get a solution to this? - I also have encountered this issue today. As soon as I select “Add Product” on my iOS S1 Controller I get promoted to upgrade to the S2 Controller which I can’t do because I still have Gen 1 speakers on my S1 Sonos network.

BTW I also have the S2 Controller on my iOS device for a separate S2 Sonos network.

Try uninstalling the S1 controller.  Temporarily power off your S2 system speakers).  Reinstall the S1 controller and choose ‘connect to existing system’.  Then add your product.  Then power the S2 system back on.

Badge +1

I tried that but as soon as I select “Add Product” I’m asked to log into my Sonos account and provide the Controller certain permissions whereupon I’m then prompted to upgrade the controller to S2.

I’m wondering if the problem might be related to the fact that I’m using the same Sonos account for both my S1 and S2 Sonos networks.

Badge +1

I deleted both controllers from my iPhone, reinstalled the S1 Controller and did factory resets on all my S1 System speakers. But the S1 Controller would not allow me to create a new Sonos system and add any speakers. In the end the thing that worked was creating a completely separate Sonos account for my S1 System, then I was able to create a new Sonos system and add back all my S1 System speakers. I then reinstalled the S2 Controller and connected that to my S2 System speakers. I don’t recall seeing any mention of having to use separate Sonos accounts when setting up separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems, but it’s all working again (for now).

Glad it is working. Separate accounts should not be needed. I am running S1 and S2 systems on a single Sonos account. 

Admittedly I haven't tried to add an extra speaker. 

Badge +1

In my case having a single Sonos account for both my S1 and S2 systems worked fine for over a week so I know that works. But then something happened (I don’t know what) and setting up a different account for each system was the only thing I could do to get everything working again. I know there are other people with this same problem, so maybe this workaround will help them too. Anyway it’s too early to tell yet whether this will provide a permanent fix.

Hi @ShaunRF I was getting really angry last weekend trying to accomplish excatly what is mentioned here: S1 App (no upgrade/update want) a couple of speakers that would be S2 compatible AND the need to add a sonos connect - but the app just wants to force me to get the upgrade. Darn frustrating, glad to see you got this working with 2 accounts, will try this asap.

thx,

phabean

Badge +1

Hi @phabean I’m not sure exactly what caused the problem in the first place, but I suspect it might have been the S2 Controller that somehow updated one of the Play 1 speakers on my S1 system. It seems when there are no speakers powered up on the S2 system then the S2 Controller gains an awareness of speakers on the S1 system. I have therefore turned automatic updates off for both controllers and so far the problem has not reoccured.

Good luck and I will be interested to hear if setting up a new account for your S1 system gets your S1 system back up and running again.

@ShaunRF thx. was getting real angry/lost lst weekend. was about to throw everything out of the window 🤮 - but some light here I guess. will keep you posted. 🤘

Badge +1

@phabean any luck in adding the Sonos Connect to your S1 system?My S1 and S2 systems have been operating flawlessly ever since I sorted out the problem on mine.

hi all, i tried it mutiple times with s1, creating a separate account, trying to add diff. products, transfering ownership, and so on. deleted the apps multiple times. no chance. as soon as I want to add the s1 only products the s1 app wants to update. I gave up now before throwing stuff out of the window. i even had to update to the new sonos app now as the s1 speakers wouldn’t work smoothly any more. now my playbar needs to be added, the rest is working again. I am gonna sell the connect …

Many thanks here for sharing & caring :-) → have some good holidays and stay healthy !!