Can the Bridge be used as a WiFi extender? Any other use for it?

• 5 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, I removed the Bridge from my Sonos system and it works fine without it. But I hate to just throw electronics in the trash.

Could I use the Bridge as a WiFi extender at home? Is there any other use for it? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @ErnieD.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

You can still use your bridge, You just need to follow these instructions for the upgrade program.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@ErnieD No the Bridge cannot be used as a WiFi extender. The best thing you could do is recycle it responsibly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Bridge case is quite nice and it is easy to remove and recycle the electronics giving you an excellent project box.

As said, you can’t use it as an extender.  It doesn’t use standard WiFi signals and even if it did it is 2000’s era technology and would be much slower and more problematic than newer hardware.

The two ethernet ports may offer some utility in using it as a switch; I was able to use mine to use the other end of a wire connected to the main router to extend wired service to a WiFi access point while also having an improved Sonos net in that remote room.

I’d be happy to mail mine to anyone who can make use of it -- just pay postage from NYC.