Question

Can't cancel room selection

• 29 October 2017
  • 15 replies

Since the latest update (which i dont like by the way) I am finding it difficult to deselect rooms. If i am playing music in multiple rooms bur then want to remove one room i will uncheck the box for that room, press done but the room still remains in. Anyone else finding this problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes I get it too occasionally. I also get it where I select the room from the bottom option and select something to play - but it doesn't actually change the room name (in red) and if I don't notice this, my selections/changes happen to another room. I know quite well how the new, confusing room play/grouping options work and it's not user error.
Closing the app and re-opening resolves.
Are we talking here about the quick grouping facility on the Now Playing screen, or the proper Rooms screen?
I believe its the proper rooms screen. Sometimes you can deselect a room and add another but other times it just doesnt accept the change
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
On one of my devices I was having some very odd behavior in the Rooms UI, where it was doing what you described, not taking the changes when I would click the drop-down, as well as having disabled Play controls. For me, an uninstall/reinstall of the app fixed it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Uninstall shouldn't be necessary - a close and re-open has always fixed it for me. Although that shouldn't be necessary either..
Userlevel 3
I find the same on android - if I take out the room I'm playing music in and group in another to switch rooms, then the app doesn't switch focus but leaves the old room selected - not the way the old app worked or what I would prefer it to do!

I also had a similar issue with bad system behaviour where simultaneously grouping and ungrouping appeared to kill my sonos system with rooms constantly dropping in and out and nothing willing to play any music! Had to reset the controller and it worked fine again.
We are having the same problem on 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. Very frustrating.

We have had our system for five years and the previous apps all worked correctly.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Here actually it works but do not update room name in spotify connect... do not know if it is a problem of spotify or sonos...
Userlevel 1
Having same problem. Will not change to selected room. Cannot switch to room playing music to change music or volume. Requires multiple attempts.
Having same problem. Will not change to selected room. Cannot switch to room playing music to change music or volume. Requires multiple attempts.Hi. Here is an example I posted elsewhere on how to get the music you want playing in the room you want - in this example, two different streams in two rooms. See if it helps you to get the hang of the app.

Do not use the 'quick group' facility on the Now Playing screen for anything, would be my advice. To ungroup a room you should definitely use the proper Rooms screen.

Let's say you have two rooms and you want to put a track from your music library on in the Kitchen, and you want to search for a particular artist to put on in the Living Room. Substitute your room names obviously.

1. If you are on the Now Playing screen you will need to swipe down the screen. If not, the tab bar should already be visible at the bottom of the screen.
2. If Kitchen (K) or Living Room (LR) is already the highlighted room, go with it. If not, tap either K or LR. Let's assume we have Kitchen highlighted.
3. Tap Browse on the tab bar, and then Music Library, and then just do what you have always done - i.e. find the song and tap to play it.
4. Tap the Rooms button
5. Tap LR once to highlight it
6. Tap Search and then search for what you want just as you have always done. Tap to play your choice.
Userlevel 1
Having same problem. Will not change to selected room. Cannot switch to room playing music to change music or volume. Requires multiple attempts.Hi. Here is an example I posted elsewhere on how to get the music you want playing in the room you want - in this example, two different streams in two rooms. See if it helps you to get the hang of the app.

Do not use the 'quick group' facility on the Now Playing screen for anything, would be my advice. To ungroup a room you should definitely use the proper Rooms screen.

Let's say you have two rooms and you want to put a track from your music library on in the Kitchen, and you want to search for a particular artist to put on in the Living Room. Substitute your room names obviously.

1. If you are on the Now Playing screen you will need to swipe down the screen. If not, the tab bar should already be visible at the bottom of the screen.
2. If Kitchen (K) or Living Room (LR) is already the highlighted room, go with it. If not, tap either K or LR. Let's assume we have Kitchen highlighted.
3. Tap Browse on the tab bar, and then Music Library, and then just do what you have always done - i.e. find the song and tap to play it.
4. Tap the Rooms button
5. Tap LR once to highlight it
6. Tap Search and then search for what you want just as you have always done. Tap to play your choice.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the reply but that is not the problem I have. I have been using sonos for years and have no issues playing different music in I dcidual rooms. Since the latest update, when I go to the Rooms option to select which room I want, the app does not execute my selection. It reverts back to the original room and does not allow me to access my room selection. I change to my selected room multiple times but the app keeps showing only the initial room. I have tried selecting all rooms and deselecting the original room but the app keeps reverting back to the original room. Finally after multiple attempts it does execute my selection but in the meantime I am unable to access the selected room to change volume or content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Exactly that. Try closing the app and trying again.
In the absence of Sonos responding, John keeps assuming people don't understand the new, confusing grouping/room selection method. While it may be the case in some instances, many report the same behaviour as you (myself included) and are still awaiting any feedback.
I am not having that issue at all. It works perfectly every time, so I wonder if your issue is actually some form of connection issue between your controller and the system. I would consider starting a new thread with a diagnostic from your system, posting the confirmation number in your post.

If I tap the Rooms button then double tap the room I want, it takes me back to the Now Playing screen with control of my selected room.
Exactly that. Try closing the app and trying again.
In the absence of Sonos responding, John keeps assuming people don't understand the new, confusing grouping nethod. While it may be the case in some instances, many report the same behaviour as you (myself included) and are still awaiting any feedback.
I don't assume it, but it has turned out to be that way on several threads, and has helped a number of people to get on better with the app.