Question

Can't assign more devices to a room?

• 14 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I've assigned my Beam 2 to the room “Living room”. Now I've gotten myself a Port, which is also in the living room. But I can only assign it to “Living room 2", and that results in two separate rooms. I can still group them of course, but it doesn't make sense to me that I cannot assign multiple devices to the same room. It's the same with all devices: if I wanted to move one of our Sonos Ones to the living, it would be assigned to "Living room 3” now. Is this the expected behavior, and if so, what's the logic behind it?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Beam is a Home Theatre device you can pair surround speakers (only as a same model pair pair), plus a sub to it as one room.  .  You can set persistent groups too.

The rule for non Home Theatre products is one speaker (or a stereo pair) per room plus a Sub.

A Sonos ‘Room’ can be several things (either with, or without, a Sub):

• A stand-alone speaker 
  • Two speakers ‘stereo’ paired
  • A Home Theatre player with bonded surrounds

So, just as examples, a user could have a Home Theatre bonded setup called ‘Living Room TV’ and a pair of speakers in the same room called ‘Living Room HiFi’. The naming conventions are entirely upto the user.

Theres no benefit in having two ‘rooms’ with the same name, as it will likely confuse things and create uncertainty as to which speakers are being selected for playback.

There are of course overarching ‘Groups’ available to the user aswell in the Sonos App - See ‘Settings/System/Groups’ where Sonos ‘Rooms’, like ‘Living Room TV’ and ‘Living Room HiFi’ can be combined and simply given a group name of ‘Living Room’.

There are many possibilities for the user to choose from, using the features available in the App, it’s perhaps a case of understanding what’s available and how you would like to perhaps use those features.

The App will cater for most things, but I would suggest maybe keeping ‘Room’ and ‘Group’ names unique where possible to keep things simple and easily identifiable.

Perhaps you can kind of guess, but I think there are two main reasons why Sonos has restrictions on devices that can be bonded into a single room.  Primarily, I think it’s because the ability to stereo pair speakers, and bond speakers in a home theatre, but it has technical limits.  They have not setup the ability to use a Sonos One as a center channel speaker for example, so it’s simply not allowed as part of a room.  Speakers are not just randomly placed in a room in the Sonos app, they are there with a specific purpose.  There is also trueplay tuning.

So sure, a customer could possibly understand the limits, but still want speakers placed in the same room together and playing in sync.   You have your port and Beam in the same room.  Sonos has a need to keep things simple and easy to understand for everyone.  They don’t want people putting odd combinations in a room and having it sound terrible.   They don’t want people thinking that if they just put a speaker in front of the TV and add it to the existing room, they have a center channel speaker now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It doesn’t help that the concept of a room works differently in Google Home for example.