Question

Can Move migrate between S1 and S2 systems?

• 11 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi. I have a two houses. My vacation home is all S1 only capable units, while my main home has units that could upgrade to S2. I have a pair of Move speakers that I migrate between the two houses. If I were to upgrade my main house to S2, would my Move be stuck in S2 mode and not join my S1 network when it powers up in the vacation house? I don’t want to run a split network at the vacation house. 

3 replies

You would have to do a factory reset to your Moves, and add them back to the system at which ever home you’re at as new speaker.  If it were me, I would use them as bluetooth speakers only at one my homes to avoid the hassle.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @User718567.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I agree with @melvimbe, you need to do a factory reset on your Sonos device that you want to reverse the update from the Sonos S2 app to the Sonos S1 app. In addition to the information, There is a condition that needs to be met for this to work. There should be a working Sonos device running on the Sonos S1 app on your existing Sonos system as discussed in this guide.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for your replies. Looks like both my systems will stay at S1 at this point and probably forever. My vacation home has three permanent zones and four when the Moves are there. My main home has eight permanent zones plus the Moves. The Moves are the outdoor speakers in both locations. So doing factory resets and such is a pain since I do this migration back and forth several times a month