Can I use Sonos from my Chromebook?

• 22 November 2012
  • 36 replies

Can I use Sonos from my Chromebook?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unfortunately there is no web-based controller available for the Sonos system. However, given the big push for web-based devices (like the Chromebook) and other browser-based operating systems (like ChromeOS and FirefoxOS), it may not be a bad idea for future development. Maybe a Sonos employee can turn this into an idea so that others can add their support for it.
Userlevel 3
Badge
That could be a great solution for Linux user too.
I support this feature as a optional password protected web page (no pairing necessary like traditional controllers). Then guests can be given the URL with the password (if one is set). I personally would not set a password as I do the authentication at WLAN-level (if you can access my WLAN, it's OK for me that you can access the web controller).
My chromebook is the computer that travels around my house with me most often. I would really like to be able to control my Sonos system from it.
+1 for Chromebook (or simply web-based) support.
I can't imagine why Sonos wouldn't support a web based controller. There surely isn't a technical reason why this isn't possible. Could someone from Sonos comment?
+1 for Chromebook/web controller
+1 for Chromebook
+1 for Chromebook and Chromebox
Badge
+1 - time for web-based controller!
+1 for chromebook support / web based controller!
+1 for web interface. Should probably be hosted on the machine also serving the music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For Sonos, this topic should be merged with another Chromebook request that has more votes: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/a_vote_for_a_chromebook_player
wish my chromebook could sonos too
+1 for chromebook and web based client spotify now has a web client - which is really good. come one guys....html5 is there to stay!
Userlevel 2
The Android app only works when connected to the same network as the Sonos system (WiFi), and not on a mobile network. I'm not sure why, but whatever the reason, it might make it complicated to make a web-based app, since that will require a connection over the web, and not in a LAN. Just a thought.
Web based tools are the future - Sonos needs to get up to speed!
Userlevel 3
Badge
If SONOS provide a Web Service (described here), then after SONOS need only to develop a shortcut to the URL Web Service for each platform to be compliant, and to provide the same experience on all devices.
Definitely need this service to be developed. Doesn't seem that it would be so tough - come on, Sonos - make it happen! Chromebooks are also here to stay!! It's really annoying to have to go look for a device with a controller app when I'm using my Chromebook, which is all web based. This is just nonsensical!
It's been 2 months since the last post on this .. hoping we get Sonos on the Chromebook soon .....
Sign me up for this request. Since Sonos works well on my google phone the tweak for a chromebook extension or app cannot be that far away. Just added a Play 1 to the house to my Sonos set up.