Answered

Bug: Sonos app utilizes Bluetooth on app start for some reason which messes with MFi hearing aids

• 28 October 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge +2
I have hearing aids that are MFi (made for iPhone). This just means that they are designed to integrate with iPhones proprietary protocol over Bluetooth and audio integrates well with it including music playback and phone calls.

The sonos app for some reason utilized Bluetooth while the app is running. I can tell because my hearing aids are setup to automatically decrease its external mic volume when audio streaming is active (so I can hear the streaming audio and external “real world” audio is not as amplified).

Every time I start the sonos app, my hearing aids noticeably change in audio profile and the mic volume decreases.

Why is the sonos app utilizing Bluetooth in this way?
icon

Best answer by John B 9 November 2017, 02:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Sonos app doesn't use Bluetooth, but when you have the lock screen controls enabled the Sonos app plays silence to the device. Can you try going into Settings and disable lock screen controls for Sonos? See how the hearing aids perform after that.
Badge +2
The Sonos app doesn't use Bluetooth, but when you have the lock screen controls enabled the Sonos app plays silence to the device. Can you try going into Settings and disable lock screen controls for Sonos? See how the hearing aids perform after that.

I'm positive bluetooth is being used in some way, perhaps inadvertantly. There's a current bug acknowledged by Apple about how bluetooth problems in iOS 11 are effecting my MFi hearing aids. The cause is when apps initialize or use bluetooth, which then causes audio clicking sounds in MFi hearing aids.

Additionally, the profile in my hearing aids is such that when bluetooth audio streaming occurs, the hearing aid mics lower in volume (so it picks up less ambient noise so I can hear streaming). It's noticeable when this happens because I can hear ambient noises much less.

Every time I start the Sonos app, my hearing aid mics will lower in volume which means the audio streaming profile is being activated.

This must mean sonos is using bluetooth somehow.
The problem is clearly real, but the fact remains that Sonos does not use Bluetooth in any way. The Sonos app is not even a music streamer, it is just a remote control that sends instructions to the system via wifi. (For the avoidance of doubt, I am not a Sonos employee) Whatever connection there may be, I cannot see there is any action Sonos could take that would prevent it. It cannot be a Sonos bug.

You have not indicated that you have tried Ryan's suggestion
Maybe this link will help

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-ios-app-interferes-with-hearing-aids-6786999
Badge +2
Maybe this link will help

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-ios-app-interferes-with-hearing-aids-6786999

Thanks this is the issue. It's not using BT directly, but the silence MP3 to get lock screen controls is what is causing the problem since BT is being used indirectly to play the audio.
Are there any solutions to this issue, except disabling functionality in the Sonos App? I have similar issue, where my office Bluetooth headset stops working because Sonos is blocking the connection with the silence MP3.

I love being able to control Sonos with volume keys and from the lock screen, so I prefer not to disable these features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can still use the hardware buttons. But lock screen controls require Sonos to APPEAR to iOS as if it's playing something on the device. Playing the "silence" is the only way they can get lock screen controls. Side effects? Yep, there are a few, as have been noted.

Maybe bug Apple to change how they allow apps to get lock screen access to music player controls. But I doubt they'll do anything. 🙂 And for the record, I use iOS devices for my phone and tablet, so I'm not an Android evangelist. But I'm not a die-hard Apple junkie either.
I have had a similar problem with Sonos and my MFI Hearing aids. Most of the time I will hear a crackling noise in my hearing aids when the Sonos app is active on my iPhone or iPad. If I go to that device and quit the Sonos app the crackling goes away. There is a direct relationship between the Sonos app and the crackling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Turn off the Lock screen control of iPhone within Sonos. IN order to initiate lock screen control Sonos plays a blank file to the iphones player.

Go to settings on the iPhone and scroll down to Sonos ....from there you can disable all iPhone/ipad lock screen control and you should fix issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
it actually says this too earlier in the thread.