Bring Back the Sonos CR200 Controller!

It is my opinion that "dropping the CR200 dedicated controller" was the WORST decision ever made by Sonos.

I have just spent another wasted afternoon unsuccessfully attempting to teach an elderly customer how to control his new $3000 Sonos system without the CR200.

I tried an Android phone, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad and he could not understand how to control Sonos.

My clients are all age 60+. Most don't even have smart phones. The CR200 worked perfectly for these people. I still prefer my own CR200 over any other controller. My Sonos sales have nose-dived after the CR200 was discontinued!

Wake up Sonos. Even Bose understands how vital a dedicated controller is. Bring back the CR200!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Still a lot cheaper than second hand CR200s
Indeed. Stretch your budget to the official charging cradle and the Nexus 7 will use the charging contacts without having to faff about with the microUSB connector. Lift it off when you need it.
Userlevel 2
Stretch your budget to the official charging cradle.

Just ordered one new from eBay for £31
iOS appears to be the culprit here. When an iThing is woken, already connected to the WiFi, the Sonos controller still has to go through the Trying to connect to your network routine. At least that's how my iTouches have always behaved. By contrast the Android controller app reconnects without a blip.

True, but mine takes a second or two to reconnect... If you're whining about something taking that much time to get you to your entertainment, you really have to review your lifestyle.
iOS appears to be the culprit here. When an iThing is woken, already connected to the WiFi, the Sonos controller still has to go through the Trying to connect to your network routine. At least that's how my iTouches have always behaved. By contrast the Android controller app reconnects without a blip.
I agree - the i touch user experience isn't as slick as even legacy kit remotes because of this - granting that things such as playlists can be managed so easily on the touch. But I often find that when I am accessing playlists after some idle time on the touch, the controller app disappears and it has to do the above referred jig before becoming usable again - and this can be irritating, because this can happen even after the playlist or zone has been reached.
I am new to Android - does it matter what kind of OS one needs to get this blip less reconnection? If yes, which is the minimum level of Android OS needed? I need to get it on a touch sized device.
I am new to Android - does it matter what kind of OS one needs to get this blip less reconnection? If yes, which is the minimum level of Android OS needed? I need to get it on a touch sized device.
Of the controller app, Sonos says "Requires Android: 2.1 and higher. Certain features may require higher versions of Android."

Frankly I'd recommend getting nothing less than KitKat (v4.4), ideally with the option to upgrade to Lollipop (v5.0). The Google Nexus phone or tablet is a safe bet.

Alternatively you could consider simply getting a Motorola Moto E or Moto G phone and operating it SIM-free. They run virtually stock Android KitKat with the promise of a Lollipop upgrade. There are of course cheaper possibilties, but as budget handsets the Moto range has won plaudits.
The Google Nexus phone or tablet is a safe bet.

Alternatively you could consider simply getting a Motorola Moto E or Moto G phone and operating it SIM-free.

Given the local pricing, the Moto E is the best priced. With Boost, I have a decent Sonos net signal across, so presumably it will work on that and stay always on in controller mode? None of the searching for network thing even if I use it after a day of leaving it in idle mode?
And will it work in the future as long as the device does without needing to upgrade the OS regardless of Sonos controller version upgrades?
PS: If on Sonosnet, when using in a room I suppose it will communicate directly to the Sonos unit there, instead of back to the router in another room?
Given the local pricing, the Moto E is the best priced. With Boost, I have a decent Sonos net signal across, so presumably it will work on that and stay always on in controller mode? None of the searching for network thing even if I use it after a day of leaving it in idle mode?
And will it work in the future as long as the device does without needing to upgrade the OS regardless of Sonos controller version upgrades?
PS: If on Sonosnet, when using in a room I suppose it will communicate directly to the Sonos unit there, instead of back to the router in another room?

It would be configurable to stay on the Wi-Fi even when sleeping. Seeing as Sonos continues to support ancient versions of Android there's no reason to think that an OS would be obsoleted medium term.

When on SonosNet the device will tend to home to the strongest signal. How aggressively it swaps between Sonos units as you walk around depends on the Android device.

One point to note about the Moto E: it only has 4GB of storage, leaving not a lot of room for apps. It will however take an SD card. I'll have to leave others to comment about how well Sonos operates off the SD card under KitKat.
But I often find that when I am accessing playlists after some idle time on the touch, the controller app disappears

If the app is disappearing, it is shutting down due to a memory issue, possibly a conflict with another app.
If the app is disappearing, it is shutting down due to a memory issue, possibly a conflict with another app.
How do I identify if the latter? I have reinstalled it a few times with no improvement.
My daughter who knows these things more than I do has just advised me to move from my 5 year old BlackBerry phone that needs changing anyway to a Moto E/G, so I will probably do that anyway now, based on ratty's advice as well -thanks for that. Saves having an extra device for Sonos control.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is my opinion that "dropping the CR200 dedicated controller" was the WORST decision ever made by Sonos.
Wake up Sonos. Even Bose understands how vital a dedicated controller is. Bring back the CR200!!!

Well, there is no need to launch a new controller, in my eyes. Just let the existing devices connect to the system and leave a minimum of functionality on them for just doing, what we do with any other remote control. There is no need to have it more comfortable as a simple mp3-player.

When the device drops dead, well, that's it. But no need to kill it. I paid for it, I want to use it anyhow as long as possible. I feel cheated by the release note, because it didn't say, that the CR200 will not be usable anyway anymore. A reduction of functions - that's what I expected having read everything carefully.

Here's my alternative deal: I send in my two perfectly working CR200 and SONOS wil send me a PLAY1 for 30 EUR.

Well, there is no need to launch a new controller, in my eyes. Just let the existing devices connect to the system and leave a minimum of functionality on them for just doing, what we do with any other remote control. There is no need to have it more comfortable as a simple mp3-player.

When the device drops dead, well, that's it. But no need to kill it. I paid for it, I want to use it anyhow as long as possible. I feel cheated by the release note, because it didn't say, that the CR200 will not be usable anyway anymore. A reduction of functions - that's what I expected having read everything carefully.

You're responding to a year old thread and I think you might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, the CR200 is still usable, albeit with reduced functionality, exactly as you suggest (hell, the CR100 is still usable!). I'm not sure why you think they can't be used at all now?
Userlevel 2
Badge

You're responding to a year old thread and I think you might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, the CR200 is still usable, albeit with reduced functionality, exactly as you suggest (hell, the CR100 is still usable!). I'm not sure why you think they can't be used at all now?

Hi, two weeks ago I updated to 5.4 and tried everything to get my two CR200 connected to the rest of the SONOS system. No way. They are fully excluded and won't catch any signal from any other piece of SONOS. Its a new phenomenon, which I really hate to admit.

Hi, two weeks ago I updated to 5.4 and tried everything to get my two CR200 connected to the rest of the SONOS system. No way. They are fully excluded and won't catch any signal from any other piece of SONOS. Its a new phenomenon, which I really hate to admit.

This is not correct, the following is from the 5.4 release notes:

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR SONOS CONTROL (CR200) OWNERS

Starting with Sonos version 5.4, the Room Settings, Add Music Services, Manage Services, Manage Music Library, and Add a Sonos Component options will no longer appear on the CONTROL Settings menu. You will no longer be able to use the CONTROL to:

Set up a new Sonos system
Add new components
Change room settings
Create a stereo pair
Add/manage music services
Add/manage music libraries
Instead, use the Sonos app on your smartphone, tablet or computer to perform these tasks.

There are many things you can't now do with a CR200 but they are still supported.

If this has happened after an update it's probably a duplicate IP address, you need to shut everything on your network down (including the CR200, take the battery out), then restart the router, restart your wired Sonos devices, then your wireless devices (including the CR200 at this stage) then anything else connected to your network.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
In my view the iOS (and presumably Android) apps are way better than the CR100 and CR200 however one thing I really going to miss if I switch to wifi mode (seems like I have to because of better performance – not sure yet) are the physical buttons on the CR100. In som situations, in my case like when working the kitchen these are superior in every way controlling volume and play/pause. On the other hand I can find these buttons on my Sonos player so maybe I overrate the remotes. But they are kind of nice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Another alternative is Insteon home automation. It's expensive to start but if you are considering home automation the Sonos integration could be just the ticket.
http://www.insteon.com/sonos/
8 key physical controller with on/off, Volume up and down then 5 radio stations as the other buttons and I could replace our Kitchen digital radio without upsetting my wife!

The only trouble is the "coming soon" tag. That could be a very long time 😞
Badge
iphone is too slow: you have to wake it, type in password, click on App, wait for connection / catch up to current track, then you can skip or change volume. TOO SLOW guys ! If the iphone is being used for something else, there is an even bigger delay.

CR200 is instantly there, always charged, ready for action. Please bring it back - just look at the prices on ebay for used models - there has to be a demand.

If you want to keep using the app - do so. If you want a dedicated controller, buy one. It does not have to be either / or.
Sonos is currently focused on developing voice control, which basically makes the "instantly there" point moot.
Badge
interesting ! Presumably still via your iphone, so you will still need to wake it up, sign in, etc.
interesting ! Presumably still via your iphone, so you will still need to wake it up, sign in, etc.

Actually, the only voice control mentioned specifically was Amazon Echo, which is activated by a key word ("Alexa") and requires no phone/tablet to operate. You simply speak to the Echo and it does what you want: "Alexa, play Amazon Prime playlist 'Weekend Party'". I would assume this is what Sonos is aiming for.

Here is the blog announcement if you wish to read it:

http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future
Userlevel 2
I have areas with no wi-fi around my home and garden so can’t control my Sonos there from my iPhone So no Sonos in my gym, cellar, terrace or garden shed without a controller

I have just spent another wasted afternoon unsuccessfully attempting to teach an elderly customer how to control his new $3000 Sonos system without the CR200.

I tried an Android phone, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad and he could not understand how to control Sonos.

My clients are all age 60+. Most don't even have smart phones. The CR200 worked perfectly for these people. I still prefer my own CR200 over any other controller. My Sonos sales have nose-dived after the CR200 was discontinued!

I have areas with no wi-fi around my home and garden so can’t control my Sonos there from my iPhone So no Sonos in my gym, cellar, terrace or garden shed without a controller

Android devices can connect directly to Sonosnet, unlike iOS devices. Consider a cheap tablet from Amazon for those areas only covered by Sonosnet. I suggest this because I'm pretty sure there is no chance that Sonos is going to resurrect a dedicated controller device.

You could also look at connecting a wireless access point to the Ethernet ports on your Sonos devices wherever the standard WiFi is out of range. Configure it for the same SSID and password as your router and the access point will use Sonosnet to connect back to the router.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I dusted off my two CR200 controllers and am using them again...they still work, although I have to use the iOS app to make setting changes. Too bad Sonos didn't just port the CR200 interface to Apple/Android devices. It's so much more user friendly...I'm an experienced user and still pause to make sure I'm tapping in the right place on my iPhone to get where I want to be....the CR200 is just so much more user friendly. Glad they still work!
I still have two CR200s and love them. OK, Sonos have limited their capability, but they are still my preferred interface. When I pick them up from the cradle they are all ready to use. It makes so much sense. I still use a remote control on my TV and guess most people do as well. Why not Sonos - the phone apps always have to 'find' the system when they are activated. Who needs that? Had this system over 10 years. Now one of the cradles is failing, sad day....
In what way is the cradle failing? If it is not charging the CR200 then try using a coffee filter or pencil eraser to clean the contacts. If it is a bad power supply or battery you can get replacements on Ebay. As long as the LCD screen doesn't develop dead spots you should be able to keep your CR200 controller going.