Bring Back the Sonos CR200 Controller!

It is my opinion that "dropping the CR200 dedicated controller" was the WORST decision ever made by Sonos.

I have just spent another wasted afternoon unsuccessfully attempting to teach an elderly customer how to control his new $3000 Sonos system without the CR200.

I tried an Android phone, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad and he could not understand how to control Sonos.

My clients are all age 60+. Most don't even have smart phones. The CR200 worked perfectly for these people. I still prefer my own CR200 over any other controller. My Sonos sales have nose-dived after the CR200 was discontinued!

Wake up Sonos. Even Bose understands how vital a dedicated controller is. Bring back the CR200!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 1
You'd probably want to tell Sonos that, rather than a bunch of us users, we don't have any say in the matter.
wireman007,

I wish that the CR200 could come back, but I don't think that this can be justified, given the development cost and the likely market penetration. Prior to the release of the pad and phone controllers there was a deluge of angry posts asking why customers were forced to purchase an expensive single purpose controller when they already had a "free" device that could control the system, but the "greedy" SONOS company would not allow this. Actually, SONOS was already working on the iController, but nothing less than "instant" availability can quell keyboard rage.

It is possible to lock the Androids to a single function. At one point I saw some SONOS store demo systems in Target that could do this. Check with your factory rep. Perhaps instructions about how to do this are available.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I would be interested in a kiosk mode for Android. Do you know what software was used?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I agree 100% that a dedicated Sonos controller should be in the hardware line up.

The CR100 was great except the journalists (and some users) wanted a smaller unit with a touch screen. Also the menu setup / when to use the scroll wheel "button" or one of the three hard buttons was not always intuitive.

The CR200 was loved despite it's price (and lack of waterproofing/hard buttons) when it came out until the "screen dead areas" issue started to become widespread.

Given the (apparent) current Sonos strategy it seems very unlikely that we will ever see a CR300 which is a great shame. Whilst clearly in a minority I would paid more for a wall mountable CR300 that had a large screen (with a large font!) and more hard buttons than for a iPhone 5 or whatever.

A proper revamp of the CR100 being a similar size and number of hard buttons with full functionality, larger screen (touch screen or otherwise) would be my idea of the way to go. But would there be enough demand at the price point? Sonos know more than me and they have not produced one!
Personally I agree that a dedicated controller is a very good thing. My 07 CR100 chugs along nicely, dedicated buttons for volume, pause are key.

However selling $3000 worth of Sonos kit without first explaining the controller situation seems a little shady.

What you want is a kiosk app for android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gears42.surelock&hl=en

Locks down what you can run. The big knock is it's wifi not Sonosnet. I haven't personally used but have seen in action. Give it a whirl & tell us what you think!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Personally I agree that a dedicated controller is a very good thing. My 07 CR100 chugs along nicely, dedicated buttons for volume, pause are key.

However selling $3000 worth of Sonos kit without first explaining the controller situation seems a little shady.

What you want is a kiosk app for android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gears42.surelock&hl=en

Locks down what you can run. The big knock is it's wifi not Sonosnet. I haven't personally used but have seen in action. Give it a whirl & tell us what you think!

on the official SONOS app for Android you can set it to use Sonosnet
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have just ditched my CR200 and now use two Nexus 7 tablets. They use both wifi and SONOS Net and are very good
Cool thanks! I stand corrected, good intel. Hmmmm that opens up some possibilities!

on the official SONOS app for Android you can set it to use Sonosnet
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
What I'm missing most from the CR200 is the cradle; the controller is always nicely stored on the cradle and charged and when I grab it it's instantly available.
On my Android devices, they are either phones ans used for other purposes or unused phones/tablets and often out of battery or also running other apps.
Maybe Sonos should issue a version of the controller that locks itself in Android to make a dedicated controller - but this would not solve my cradle issue...
I also reach for the CR100 and Cr200 as often as possible even though my CR200 has a couple of dodgy areas on the screen.

A few reasons. One, as has already been pointed out, is the charging cradle. Another reason is that it's live as soon as you pick it up so there's no having to keep switching the tablet back on again to view the screen. Thirdly there are the hard buttons, which just make life a lot easier in my opinion.

I agree with Buzz though, I can't see Sonos producing another dedicated controller due to production costs and the fact that it will have to be sold at a higher price which will lead to complaints from people. You'll also probably get people saying 'It's only a controller, why can't it do other things as well' - in which case it will be a tablet!

On the whole, I prefer the old CR100. I'm not really bothered about touch screen.
Userlevel 2
Badge
With the Nexus 7 I use a wireless charging dock to sit it in. Got in on line for about £30
So its easily picked up swipe for open straight to my SONOS app and instantly connected
With the Nexus 7 I use a wireless charging dock to sit it in. Got in on line for about £30
So its easily picked up swipe for open straight to my SONOS app and instantly connected

Is that dock compatible with the first version of the Nexus7? Also will it let you charge it in landscape mode?
@JohnG

I think you're referring to the 2012 Nexus 7. I have just bought this dock for a 2012 Nexus 7 from Amazon UK. You can charge in landscape mode (in fact, only in landscape).

Nexus 7 2012s are available on Amazon for about £120 - I picked one up last week to replace an ailing CR100. No need to get a higher spec'd tablet IMHO as the Nexus 7 2012 is plenty fast enough.

FWIW, I disable the swipe to start function, and using Wildroid's Wakeup Screen, which causes the Nexus 7 to wake as soon as it is picked up, together with Target Home Launcher to ensure the home screen is locked onto the Sonos app, I can pretty much recreate a CR200 at a fraction of the price. You simply pick up the Nexus 7, it comes on, and there is the Sonos app ready to play.

Now, if I could find a way to stream the Netflix app on the Nexus 7 to the Play 1s in my bedroom, life would be complete (until the next thing...) ;)

T
@JohnG

I think you're referring to the 2012 Nexus 7. I have just bought this dock for a 2012 Nexus 7 from Amazon UK. You can charge in landscape mode (in fact, only in landscape).

Nexus 7 2012s are available on Amazon for about £120 - I picked one up last week to replace an ailing CR100. No need to get a higher spec'd tablet IMHO as the Nexus 7 2012 is plenty fast enough.

FWIW, I disable the swipe to start function, and using Wildroid's Wakeup Screen, which causes the Nexus 7 to wake as soon as it is picked up, together with Target Home Launcher to ensure the home screen is locked onto the Sonos app, I can pretty much recreate a CR200 at a fraction of the price. You simply pick up the Nexus 7, it comes on, and there is the Sonos app ready to play.

Now, if I could find a way to stream the Netflix app on the Nexus 7 to the Play 1s in my bedroom, life would be complete (until the next thing...) ;)

T

Thanks for that. I already own a 2012 Nexus7 so I should be able to recreate this fairly easily.
Userlevel 2
Yep! also bring back gas lights, top hats and sending children up chimneys. Come on people we know some of you don't like change but it's time to move on.

Keep moving forward and stop looking back.
... and sending children up chimneys.

lol. What?
lol. What?

Chimney sweeps!
Userlevel 2
@JohnG

T

New to Sonos and was looking for a secondhand controller till I read this post. I was controlling system with iPhone but my wife was complaining it took too long to open the app and connect on to the wifi. Found Expansys selling 8gb nexus 7 for £59.99
Can't post the link but easy enough to find on google shopping
I was controlling system with iPhone but my wife was complaining it took too long to open the app and connect on to the wifi.

Never ceases to amaze me the stuff people complain about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidField View Post
I was controlling system with iPhone but my wife was complaining it took too long to open the app and connect on to the wifi.

I think I would also complain about such (albeit short) delays. Back in the day when I used to use a HiFi system, you pressed a button and instant music. Sonos should be better not slower.

On the whole, I prefer the old CR100. I'm not really bothered about touch screen.
We do too. CR100 minimal delay & maximum ease of use (hard buttons!). 😃
Found Expansys selling 8gb nexus 7 for £59.99
To be fair, those are refurbished units.
iOS appears to be the culprit here. When an iThing is woken, already connected to the WiFi, the Sonos controller still has to go through the Trying to connect to your network routine. At least that's how my iTouches have always behaved. By contrast the Android controller app reconnects without a blip.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We do too. CR100 minimal delay & maximum ease of use (hard buttons!). :D

Three still in daily use and always what I reach for.
Userlevel 2
£60 - a small price to pay for peace and quiet!!
Userlevel 2
To be fair, those are refurbished units.
Still a lot cheaper than second hand CR200s