Answered

Bridge obsolescence?

• 12 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve just received an offer to get a discount off the purchase of a Boost to replace my Bridge, claiming better performance. (Before end of year offer)

I’m not aware of any issues with my Sonos system.

Is the Bridge going to remain in support or is it being dropped/obsoleted in the near term?

If not then I see not need to spend funds for no apparent gain.

Perhaps a Sonos Support Employee can advise on this, please?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 November 2019, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

See the thread on CR100.  Sonos will remotely destroy your equipment if you do not give them more money!  https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi John, Bridges are getting quite old now and as a hub for your system, they are often becoming the weak link in a setup, leading to instability and playback issues. 

We are not announcing an end of support for the Bridge at this time but we believe that many of our customers will experience better system performance without the Bridge. Before picking up a Boost, there are several other options for connecting Sonos to your home network here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3458 which you might want to check out. 

I’d recommend setting your Sonos system on the house wireless and see how things perform. These days, most routers are far stronger than the Bridge and using an alternate setup is likely to perform faster and better overall.

nyCecilia, while I appreciate the sentiment, the Bridge holds a critical role in the system, if it’s being used, and we’ve found that overall performance and reliability can be improved in many cases without the Bridge. While the CR100 had similar issues, it played a different role entirely in the system and wasn’t relied on in the same ways. I think we can all agree not to start that conversation up again, as the CR100 was thoroughly discussed in that thread. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

See the thread on CR100.  Sonos will remotely destroy your equipment if you do not give them more money!  https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510

Just not helpful, sorry!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, I didn’t react to this when first output as it is not convenient for me to wire one of my speakers to my hub - a tad counter intuitive IMHO.

As I said, I’m not experiencing issues with the Bridge and as long as it remains a supported unit I’ll continue with it.

If you move to obsolete it, I expect you’ll pre-announce this and make me an unresistable offer to swap to a super low cost Boost at that time? 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Keep an eye on the Bridge power supply, a number of folks are seeing it failing and causing frustrating issues.

I’ve removed by bridge. If all performs well, what should I do with the old bridge ? 

I’ve removed by bridge. If all performs well, what should I do with the old bridge ? 

E-waste; recycle responsibly.