Question

Bought two Connect off Amazon in October 2017. Only one works with S2?

• 26 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Everything I have found says that Sonos Connect sold after 2016 should be S2 compatible?

I bought two Connect in 2017, one on October 5 and another on October 7. Both were sold by Amazon Inc directly (not a 3rd party seller) but the Sonos S1 app says only one is S2 supported?

I paid the exact same price for both of them and they look identical yet in the About My System they are clearly different

S2 compatible is Series ID: D100 and hardware 1.22.1.4-1.1

S1 compatible is Series ID: C100 and hardware 1.17.5.5-1.1

Did I get ripped off?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You may have been sold an item that had been in storage for a while but nobody then was aware of any difference or the possible consequences.

So I don't think you were ripped off.  On the label on the bottom, just before the serial number, is a four digit date code in the format YYMM. What do yours have?

Badge

Following up on my own question. The date code on one of the systems is 1705 and the other is 1706.

Everything I’ve been able to find says both of these should be S2 compatible so maybe the S1 App and the Sonos.com / System page are both just wrong?

The Sonos.com / System page clearly says Gen 2 on only one of the Connects...

They really should be S2. What are the implications for you? Do you want to update your whole system to S2?

Badge

I want to upgrade my whole system but the warning was scaring me off. If I do the upgrade is there any way to downgrade in the event the one device gets “stranded” on S1?

I run a fitness centre so we have Play 3 in the smaller rooms and Connect driving large speakers for the gyms. I really can’t have one of the devices missing.

This article sets out the position on downgrading.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

Are you doing this with a mobile app or the desktop app?

If you are using the desktop app then abandon it in favour of a mobile app. 

Badge

We use the mobile app. I will probably go ahead and try the update as long as there is a way to downgrade.

Thanks for the help!

It would be helpful if you were to post back with the outcome. I hope it works for you. 

Badge

I finally found some time to come in after hours and do the update of our system to S2.

All of our Connect and Play:3 successfully updated to S2 (including the Connect which the https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/ page says is not Gen 2).

The only problem I encountered was that several of our older tablets can’t run the Sonos S2 app so they will have to be relegated to other purposes.