Best way to use sonos with linux?

• 29 April 2017
  • 12 replies

I've installed linux mint 18.1 and moving away from windows but I'm having trouble finding a sonos app for linux. What is the best way to make this work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Mikeykist. Welcome to the community. Linux is not a supported operating system for Sonos. I am afraid you will need to use another device to control your system. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
While not officially supported, someone did take the time to write up a how-to for getting the Sonos controller for Windows running under Ubuntu using Wine and playonlinux. See this topic for the details.

Others have gone more creative routes... someone has written up a node.js API... someone else created an unofficial Sonos controller for Linux... and here's a web-based controller that needs some server components to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Or just get a cheap Amazon FIRE tablet, I got mine for £29 and works a treat.
I just installed a VrtualBox version of Windows 7 on my KDE Neon Linux system. SONOS runs fine this way.
Badge
is this program something for you?
unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux
https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux
I am considering moving to Spotify because they have a native Linux client.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos just sucks big-time. Want to integrate sonos in your home automation? Too bad, you need to pull some third party library from GH. Want to use your sonos device with anything else than a windows or mobile device? Well too bad, you have to go through tons of hacks to make this work. You want to control your device from another network? Well too bad, no web interface, you'll have to go trough tons of stuff (setup a vpn, tunnel this or tunnel that) to make it work. It's just very sad that such an expensive device (with great possibilities) is getting limited by such short visioned design. Oh well, other brands will fill in the gap, so it's time to move on guys!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Far past time Sonos opened things up to everyone and every device by offering a web browser based client.
Badge
I operate 3 different platforms around my house that cannot run the Sonos app. I have to keep a Windows machine sitting in a corner who's sole purpose is controlling Sonos. Its pathetic.
Why can’t you use a smart device instead of a computer? I only use the computer when I’m in the office mainly because I’m too lazy to bring it up on my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I did the Windows box in a corner to control my Sonos for a while, had it running a remote desktop server so everyone could get on it and control their music. A bit of a pain as Windows will only run one copy of the controller and when multiple users wanted to do something at the same time it made a mess. Bought a couple more CR-100s and ended the aggravation.

My CR-200 fried one night so I finally picked up a Google Nexus 7 tablet, figured it would keep getting OS updates far longer than any other brand and it is still working for Sonos control. What I'm buying now are 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab As from Costco with their nice rebate and doubled warranty.

Not a solution though as the wife hates tablets and I never seem to have one handy. A browser based Sonos controller no matter how minimal as long as it does Play, Pause and Volume would help, more controls would be great though.
Check out the latest WINE implementation for Sonos Desktop Controller v9.2 that I just added (10-30-18):
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=37325