Answered

Best way to start entire system?

• 25 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi!

I have a decently large system with 9 rooms. Several of these have stereo setups and there are 2 surround rooms. Products range from Play:1, to One, to Playbar, to symfonisk, to Beam and one Boost.

My question is about best practice/recommendations about how to start the system and handle the app. If I ever pick the “play on all speakers” right away the system freaks out and starts cutting in and out in different rooms randomly. The only way I’ve managed to get things to work decently if I want to play in more than two rooms at once is by starting to play in only one room, and then adding rooms one by one while waiting 20 seconds or so to let the app think before moving forward and adding the next one.

There must be a better way to get things to be snappier? Or is the controller so sensitive that you really need to let it think for that long?

Both beam and boost are wired. The rest is on the Sonos network. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 which should be plenty to handle the system, as well as very fast fiber. Controller is used from an iPhone X and an iPhone 8.

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 October 2019, 08:11

Wireless is being overstressed somewhere, and the buffering bursts are choking the flow when all the rooms are started together. 

The first room in a group contains the Group Coordinator node. This fetches the stream and distributes it to the other members. (With a stereo pair this is usually the left unit, and in a surround setup it’s the main player.)

Optimal use of wireless bandwidth occurs when the Group Coordinator is wired, so endeavour to start the group from the wired Beam and add the rest. You can always tell which room has the GC. It’ll be listed first in the Now Playing room names, and will be the top volume slider when you tap on the master volume control in the app.

If this doesn’t help, either submit a diagnostic and post the number so Sonos Support can take a look at the state of SonosNet, or go to http://IP_address_of_your_Beam:1400/support/review and screenshot the Network Matrix for folks here to peruse. Get the IP address from About My System.

View original

4 replies

Here are my suggestions...

• Ensure that you run your system on SonosNet, with one Sonos device wired to the main router. 
  • Set your SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your routers 2.4ghz channel to prevent overlap. Always fix the channels, rather than allowing the router to auto-select them on startup and avoid channels in use by your neighbours. (*see below).
  • Ensure your WiFi credentials are NOT stored in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” (They are not required when running a system on SonosNet.
  • Add all your Sonos IP addresses to your routers DHCP Reservation Table.
  • Make sure that your Sonos devices are at least 3 feet away from any other wireless devices, including the main router.
  • Where practicable, connect any other non-Sonos devices to the 5ghz Wifi band. 
  • Switch off any guest WiFi radios when they are not in use/required.
  • Scan your locality, from time to time, with a free software WiFi scanner (such as *WiFiInfoView, just as an example) to ensure your neighbours router has not altered its WiFi channels and continue to avoid using those channels, whilst maintaining separation between your own WiFi channel and SonosNet.

Hope those few things assist and prove to be useful.

I don’t think it applies in your particular case raukar, but just a few more suggestions for anyone else perhaps reading this…

• If using WiFi access points, or repeaters on the local network, with the same SSID as the main router, then ensure they operate on the exact same 'fixed' WiFi channels as the main router. 
  • If using WiFi access points with a different SSID to the main router, then ensure they do not use the same 'fixed' WiFi channels as the main router, nor use the same channel as SonosNet ... keep the channels far away from both, if possible at least 5 channels away. In this instance, ensure that the Sonos Controller devices are not allowed to connect to such access points, as you will lose sight of the sonos system altogether in the Controller App. Perhaps also consider just using the 5ghz band on such access points and disabling the 2.4ghz band, if practicable, to help reduce potential wireless interference.

This Sonos Support document is also worth keeping in mind... 

WiFi Interference

Thank you Ken for your extensive answer!

I’ll make sure to apply several of the tips. But do you know how stable the actual controller is combined with a large system? I don’t have any issues while using any of the speakers alone, and I can get the full system to play the same thing without a hitch if I am VERY gentle and patient with the controller (activating the rooms one by one while giving it proper time to think in-between each action). Functions like “play everywhere” from the start seem pointless with that perspective. But maybe this is a problem that only appears for large systems, and that you have to live with?

Wireless is being overstressed somewhere, and the buffering bursts are choking the flow when all the rooms are started together. 

The first room in a group contains the Group Coordinator node. This fetches the stream and distributes it to the other members. (With a stereo pair this is usually the left unit, and in a surround setup it’s the main player.)

Optimal use of wireless bandwidth occurs when the Group Coordinator is wired, so endeavour to start the group from the wired Beam and add the rest. You can always tell which room has the GC. It’ll be listed first in the Now Playing room names, and will be the top volume slider when you tap on the master volume control in the app.

If this doesn’t help, either submit a diagnostic and post the number so Sonos Support can take a look at the state of SonosNet, or go to http://IP_address_of_your_Beam:1400/support/review and screenshot the Network Matrix for folks here to peruse. Get the IP address from About My System.