Best Behavior/Design for Wall Mounted iPad Controller

• 31 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I just wanted see how many people have mounted a tablet on a wall to control and display the content playing on their Sonos system. The issue I have is that I would l like the iPad app to not dim when it is plugged in so that I can glance across the room to see artist/song information. I tend to use the Spotify app now. I wonder if there needs to be a "kiosk mode" or "display mode" to cater to this use case if the current UI cant be changed. Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello JustinN, sorry for the late reply. The Sonos application does not have a kiosk or display mode, but you might consider turning the iPad auto-lock to "never" for this purpose.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the reply Manny, good suggestion as I already have auto-lock off. I guess there isnt any good answer for me right now, but I would suggest the app team think about this use case and work backwards to see if a more wall/display friendly design could be incorporated. Im guessing the target customer for Sonos could have the disposable income to also have dedicated iPads mounted around the house. And those requirements are different than holding an iPhone controller in your hand.
I don't mount my iPad, but use it all the time with the Sonos app. I've not ever seen it dim after a period. What time frame do you see that happen?
Given the habit Apple has of abandoning users of older versions of iOS, I wouldn't suggest using an iPad. There are basically no differences between the iOS and Android app from a UI basis, and you are going to lock the app to the tablet, so any other differences are moot. Android tablets are far less expensive, and the differences between long term operating system full support for the Sonos app are currently 4+ years (July 2013) for Android 4.3 vs 2 years (September 2015) for iOS 9. Partial support is similar, with Android 4.0 going back 5+ years (March 2012) and iOS 8 only three (September 2014).

Purchasing Apple in this case means a buying a higher priced tablet to mount on a wall which requires you to unmount and replace it every 2-3 years. Might as well spend less and get 2-3 more years of life for essentially the same functionality. YMMV.

Note: Android also has a lock or kiosk mode, and Developer Options allows you to keep the screen awake whenever charging, so the screen is always on.