BBC Iplayer

• 28 December 2016
  • 13 replies

We have a Sonos 1 speaker. Sadly one of the main things I need my audio system to do is play radio four. We do listen to music but I am an artist and work from home and use "listen again" every day. This is so disappointing for me. And I think possibly for other people - Lots of my friends use the iPlayer to re-listen to the BBC programmes. You can download a number of programmes to MP3 but to be honest most of the ones I listen to must be subject to copyright and cannot be downloaded - just streamed for up to 4 weeks after the program (the Book of the Week, 15 minute Drama, etc). I feel this is a real omission by Sonos as the BBC iPlayer is such a fantastic resource for everyone. I do not want to have multiple speakers around the house, and it seems that Bluetooth can do pretty much everything I wanted to. So at this point it seems the sonos system has limited use and will be returned.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

IPlayer support seems really popular request.

You can find much (but not all) bbc radio content in the tunein radio app in Sonos. Before you return it make sure you search there for the shows you listen to as you might be happy.
Thanks for the thought, but have done that already.
Thanks for the thought, but have done that already.

If you have a unit with a line in then you could use that to cast iplayer in to your system with cca or bluetooth. Again not perfect, but compared to bluetooth only a better compromise imo.
No line in on sonos 1 - as far as I can see, only on play 5.
No line in on sonos 1 - as far as I can see, only on play 5.

Yup no line in. Sorry l tap out.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Bluetooth would be your best avenue to go down. You have bought a multi-room, multi-user speaker that fetches over wifi what to play.
I can't see iplayer functionality ever becoming part of Sonos due to licencing restrictions. Just as iPlayer will not work outside the UK it will not work (or should not work) on Sonos elsewhere either. Therefore there is no incentive to plough the time, effort and huge cost into providing such a service for such a small number of Sonos listeners.

You will remember that the BBC launched an overseas subscription service a few years back which died a death very quickly. Once bitten and all that...
Thanks for that. I think you are right - Bluetooth for us. Shame as the speakers are very good! Is it licensing problems though? but you are probably right with them assuming only a few people want it - which may or may not be true. I think more would use it if it were available. But this is for another discussion
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I think every single British customer wants this feature. Sonos show zero interest in providing it though, hiding behind the excuse that the BBC have to provide development resources to make it happen.
I think every single British customer wants this feature. Sonos show zero interest in providing it though, hiding behind the excuse that the BBC have to provide development resources to make it happen.

That would be a slippery slope Sonos doesnt want to get on i would guess (funding BBCs dev costs).
Well I don't know about the reasons but they have lost me as a customer. Also discovered Sonos doesn't stream YouTube which I use a lot to see new groups/artists (as does my niece, nephew and sister in Law.) Bose soundtouch does both wifi and Bluetooth (my brother recommends) so that is probably the way we will go. Their app is not so good though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is against YouTube terms of service to play audio and no video. It just happens they can't stop a Bluetooth connection from doing it. There actually is a program for Sonos called Sonos Tube that will play the audio from an Apple device (at least its available until YouTube forces it to be taken down).

BBC - we don't know more then it takes 2 to tango. But I would bet Sonos would rather get BBC to add the direct to Sonos ability (just unveiled with Spotify) vs. having to maintain a BBC iplayer type app within Sonos itself. As the Direct to Sonos part is just recently being pushed I would think that would be the next step in BBC iplayer support.
When you stream youtube audio to a bluetooth the video keeps playing on the device, it isnt against the YT TOU.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The only reason that it works is because they can't stop it ... you don't think they would block if they could.