Question

Bad app upgrade design!

• 18 November 2017
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 2
My family HATES the app update. It’s design is not user friendly at all! Just doesn’t make me want to go out and add to my system!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm with you and why is it compulsory to update to use the app.Its like having a new car that has the controls moved around a bit at every service!
Userlevel 1
Sonos from Hero to Zero. Shame on you Sonos!
Ditto. This version of the app makes me long for the old brick controller with the wheel. Now impossible to find the music I want to play. Thousands of dollars of equipment made near obsolete overnight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are multiple threads on this and master thread. Sonos has said they are taking all feedback and sending to development to get an update out very soon.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
nothing has happened since November. don't hold your breath.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has said update is coming soon. You are incorrect.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sonos has said update is coming soon. You are incorrect.
Sorry the facts contradict that.

Not only haven't we seen anything yet, let alone a beta test. Despite the abundant feedback on the white design being a major issue, we have an explicit statement that a dark design is not even in the works.

Anyone holding his breath for a new release in such a situation is bound to drop dead. Unless of course sonos intends to release yet another update without proper testing and feedback.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
maybe it takes a while to sack someone then find a new hire that is willing to take on the mess left behind.
Sonos, I know it's a lot of work, but would be great if all these whiney threads could be consolidated into one. They're getting really annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I said that once and all the haters ganged up on me. Ryan said he may do it in future.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Sonos, I know it's a lot of work, but would be great if all these whiney threads could be consolidated into one. They're getting really annoying.

A bit unfair to call them whiney. Each poster is a customer that has bought into the ecosystem and help keep the back-end servers and software development running.

Anyway , If it is a lot of work, then maybe that time would be better spent fixing the problems that caused this torrent of threads in the first place

Just saying ..... :D

Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you a beta tester User103951 - how do you know anything to make a statement that there is no beta test going on when you have no knowledge of such.

Who do you think you can rely on information more from - a posters with 10,000+ replies or someone with 80 complaints. Others can decide.

Sorry the facts contradict that.

Not only haven't we seen anything yet, let alone a beta test. Despite the abundant feedback on the white design being a major issue, we have an explicit statement that a dark design is not even in the works.

Anyone holding his breath for a new release in such a situation is bound to drop dead. Unless of course sonos intends to release yet another update without proper testing and feedback.

These types of predictions always remind me of my father telling me why it's a good idea to get a tattoo - "So you can look at it later and remember what an *** you were in the past."

I predict a similar usage for this post very soon.

Oh and by the way, I got the tattoo.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
check out the initial upgrade announcement. people were complaining about light vs dark immediately and no change has occurred yet. it's a much simpler discussion to have than "should there be N different ways to group or select rooms, none of them graceful" UI discussion etc. white/dark 1/0 (approx)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There hasn’t been release update yet incorporating changes. We are aware of that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Are you a beta tester User103951 - how do you know anything to make a statement that there is no beta test going on when you have no knowledge of such.

Nope, not a beta tester for the moment. I stopped that a couple of years ago - because the updates weren't worth the hassle - and only recently signed back up.

Who do you think you can rely on information more from - a posters with 10,000+ replies or someone with 80 complaints. Others can decide.
I'm simply relying on what sonos is saying, like this 1 day old statement "Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. As of now, I have no information about a Dark Mode"

It could be of course that that statement is factually incorrect, and there is indeed being a beta going on, maybe even with the same crowd that didn't see an issue with 8.x. Something I didn't rule out: "Unless of course sonos intends to release yet another update without proper testing and feedback."
The last thing we need is partial 'quick fixes'. The strongest critics of the app (for we are all critics to some degree) complain that it lacks logic and consistency, then moan because Sonos doesn't immediately tweak this bit or that bit in isolation.

I am not sure whether previous Beta testers did not see problems or Sonos thought it knew better. I hope Sonos take whatever time is needed to come back with a comprehensive update, preferably as a public beta initially.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
A proper public beta - with adequate time to incorporate feedback - would definitely be the way the go.
Yep - 8.0 felt like a beta... only it wasn't. I have seen posts on here suggesting that some issues were highlighted in beta testing but survived to 8.0. I find that more plausible than that the issues weren't raised. If so, I hope lessons have been learned. I have no way of knowing what actually happened though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
User - Sonos doesn’t normally do a lot of public betas. Nice of you to admit your haven’t been signed up for beta testing yet come on here and give false information that there is no beta testing. A bit irresponsible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
John B. Absolutely 8 has felt beta from the beginning. I think the development team had to much pressure to get feature releases out before holidays and didn’t much have time for tweaking.

I think they still have some features on the table like audible but should be in tweaking stages too.

And a lot of big stuff for 2018 like airplay2 and google home. Certainly why that can’t look back.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
User - Sonos doesn’t normally do a lot of public betas. Nice of you to admit your haven’t been signed up for beta testing yet come on here and give false information that there is no beta testing. A bit irresponsible.
If there actually is beta testing going, I for sure haven't seen it, and that's a fact, not a falsehood.

And given the 8.x train wreck, I think we can all agree that a public beta is preferable over releasing a half backed app, after some limited beta. Because clearly that didn't work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m fairly sure betas are always going on.
You aren't signed up for beta, there are no public betas at this time, private betas are well known to be carefully protected by an NDA, and you have not seen any beta testing goin on. None of these facts points to an assumption there is no beta testing occurring right now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
So it's fair to say, that I - and quite some others - haven't seen one, isn't it? But hey, let's just nitpick every single post on this board that isn't a sonos love letter, just so we can't pretend the actual critique is invalid.