AudioBridge: AirPlay->Sonos

• 5 December 2017
  • 18 replies

For MacOS only, looks like. Should cut down on a good bit of the whining here. Good old Apple refused to host it in their App Store, lol. A hole in their walled garden.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/04/audiobridge-airplay-sonos/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Thanks for the mention! If anyone has suggestions for the app let me know.
Hello - I can't seem to get this app working! Won't run, and keepings stopping (And not when the trial 10 minutes is up) I'm not able to see the sonos speakers on my airplay dropdown list. Anyone else had an issue. I want to make sure it works before I pay for the full version. It's such a great idea!
It is a third party app. You would have to go to the app's producer for support.
Hi Patrick, as @jgatie suggested it is definitely easiest to provide support through the app itself (use the "Feedback" menu). That way you can attach the debug log and any screenshots that might be helpful in troubleshooting the problem.
I have already contacted the app vendor, but also asked the question on here incase I wasn't alone in the issue and someone else had a fix. John is currently looking into a fix, which is fantastic!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
It's not for macOS only, it works for all platforms - see here: https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect. AudioBridge is a nice UI packaging around it but for macOS only. And I've made many update since then, including proper support for groups & surround sets
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's not for macOS only, it works for all platforms - see here: https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect. AudioBridge is a nice UI packaging around it but for macOS only. And I've made many update since then, including proper support for groups & surround sets
I've just installed AirConnect on a couple of Raspberry Pis in different properties, and it's working flawlessly. Thanks for your work on this, it's very convenient and much less clunky than the Airport Express -> Line In method I was previously using.
I have already contacted the app vendor, but also asked the question on here incase I wasn't alone in the issue and someone else had a fix. John is currently looking into a fix, which is fantastic!

Hi Patrick - looks like I have the same problem; did yours end up getting fixed?
Cheers
Badge
Just installed AudioBridge and loving it. Goodbye to the Sonos App and maintaining and updating separate playlists on that as well as iTunes. 🆒 (Talking about the MacOs Sonos app!)
Badge
Thanx for the tip about this nifty little program. I just started with Sonos, but immediate disliked the controller app. It's not at all Apple like. iTunes has become a monster trough the years, but the Sonos controller software is far worse. :8
Badge
How is Audiobridge going for everybody? For me it's been inconsistent. I've been suffering drop outs and complete stops.
This is at random intervals.
Sometimes the Sonos cuts out and cannot be reconnected until a long wait.
The other thing I’ve noticed is that Audiobridge affects all my Airplay devices, and now my Airplay equipped Pioneer amplifier shows up as an extra device (with a plus sign appended) and cannot be connected to from my computer without Audiobridge running on my wife’s laptop.
Finally, and worse, the app author has ignored my feedback through the app and an email sent afterwards.

I regret I gave @jhurliman a shot by paying for the app at this stage.
Badge
Have had it in use now for two weeks with a lot of playing hours daily. I cannot play it concurrent with the Mac, but as single airplay set (Play:5 + Sub) it works like a charm. The few issues I had, I found out that it was an Wifi problem with my iPhone X. Still a few software bugs in iOS 11. When I try to play both iMac and the Sonos, the music is not in sync. It differs about 0.25 seconds but is annoying. Hope my comment was useful.
How is Audiobridge going for everybody? For me it's been inconsistent. I've been suffering drop outs and complete stops.
This is at random intervals.

Dropouts have long been a well known issue with AirPlay. Hopefully, AirPlay 2, with much bigger buffers, will resolve this. AirPlay 2 is coming to Sonos sometime this year, possibly in April (or not).
Badge
Not before Apple has Airplay2 integrated in iOS11.3.x They just removed it again in 11.3 Public Beta 3. It looks like they don't get it to work properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Note that with AirConnect, the open source software which is mentioned above in the thread, the input and output buffer sizes (durations) are configurable. This is a nice feature which allows tuning for specific environments. I don't experience any dropouts with my AirConnect setups in either of my households, on any of my Sonos devices.
Badge
Thanks for those responses, and I'm glad it works properly for others. Mmm, so I paid for the @jhurliman package version so I wouldn't need to worry about configuration (and few options are provided). Over to you, @jhurliman!
Badge
I’ve sent feedback, via the app. Anybody else notice that whilst using AudioBridge, their screensaver will only activate manually, not on timer?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I don't have contact with @jhurliman but just know that he has packaged version 0.1.3.0 which is pretty old now - I'm at 0.2.0.6 and I have made lots of improvements, but I don't do packaging. All I've done is updating the README with the suggestions made by some to make the MacOS installation easier to do.