Attempted Burglary

• 1 September 2019
  • 19 replies

There was an attempted burglary on my house last week, and I'm confident they knew I had Sonos equipment and cased my house specifically to steal it. I have a ring doorbell video of a guy come up to my front porch with a crowbar at 1:40PM in broad daylight, with two guys in the background -- one small enough to fit through my small windows and another to stay on the lookout.

The windows were locked and apparently the burglars were not able to pry them open and not willing to break them in broad daylight. I posted the video on Ring and did contact the police. I am in the process of beefing up security at my house.

My Sonos speakers are the only high value items in the house that a thief could easily use/sell after stealing. Sonos items could fit through a small window after simply unplugging them from the wall. I purchased them within the last year. I used the Enjoy service and I am suspicious someone who had access to their records tipped off the burglar.

Sonos -- you need to fix this problem, and you need to do it yesterday. No one would break in to steal my Macbook or iphone because they wouldn't be able to use them without the password and two factor authentication. You need to add a software update that requires two factor authentication if someone tries to setup the equipment on a different Wifi network. A simple software update like this would take your equipment from causing danger to those who own it from thieves trying to break into their houses, to keeping it enjoyable without anyone wanting to steal it in the first place.

Also -- I think you need to look at the Enjoy service in Denver, and consider shutting it down. I don't know how else the burglars would have been tipped off to my house specifically. They were casing my house and did this while I was on vacation so they obviously had a tip off somehow.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

I had a house break in on Saturday and they took all my Sonos devices. They left the iPads and other devices they know can be bricked or located.

It would be very easy for Sonos to have a button next to each device on the website where you can enable it stolen and it can therefore not be used by someone else. If you land up selling it you do nothing.

The benefit of this is that the thieves will get to know this to be the case and the items become worthless. 

And very soon that button would be used in non-criminal disputes that require division of property.  Not going to happen.  Sonos has to verify there is an actual theft, and it’s not an estranged spouse mad at their partner shutting off their Sonos for spite (or any other domestic situation you can think of).  The best course of action if your devices are stolen, is to have the police in charge of the investigation contact Sonos.  This has worked for individuals in your situation in the past. 

rreuvers,

I prefer that the units can still be setup, post theft, as they do have to be registered with Sonos to fully work and that can maybe lead eventually to their whereabouts and recovery and perhaps the identity of the thieves, but that’s something for law enforcement to now sort.

Even with device security put in place by any manufacturer, the thieves will still take such devices of value and strip things down for spare parts and resale… that’s why Apple iPhones/iPads etc; are probably still being stolen, despite all the efforts from Apple.

The worrying bit in my book is the fact that thieves often know that the devices may get replaced by a home insurance policy and they often can come back and take them all over again, lightning can often 'strike twice' (or more), in these situations. So my advice would be to try to secure your home as best as you can.

I have movement sensors, cameras, locks on most things and some of my valued items are marked with our “house number” and “postcode” using an ultra-violet marker to assist with property identification.

I’m surprised the thieves didn’t cover/steal the ring doorbell. Not that clever after all, eh?

Anyhow, I hope those responsible get their comeuppance.👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
SO there are a few things here.

" I used the Enjoy service and I am suspicious someone who had access to their records tipped off the burglar. ". So you're apparently alleging that a Sonos employee or contractor has sold or given records of systems to thieves. This is quite an allegation given that Sonos is a well known brand, is already in many households and can be seen and heard. Surely it is much more likely that those involved, especially as they failed, are people who either were chancers or had heard of your system through local knowledge? I would have thought some kind of international gang that you allege would be much better at the actual burglarising.

I also find the idea that it is Sonos' responsibility to ensure that there is no incentive to steal the units somewhat bizarre and incompatible with their, obvious, commercial goal of making their products eighty sought after by users. And as has been mentioned you can inform Sonos if units have been stolen and then they can work with law enforcement.

Ultimately we are responsible for our own security and the tried and tested methods for keeping us as safe as possible from burglars clearly applies.
I think that you are giving the thieves too much credit if you expect that they will research every potential site and somehow "know" what can be traced and what cannot be traced. Virtually anything of value has a serial number. Historically, this has not been much of a deterrent.
One problem with your two factor authentication idea is that the units can be factory reset, easily bypassing your authentication requirements. Sonos would need to revamp a lot more than you think in order to effectively brick your Sonosin case of theft.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
@Denver2019 wouldn't your home insurance cover the loss?
However, I think if two-factor authentication were standard, there would be hardly any market for them as they would be pretty useless if stolen. In fact, after I post this I'm going to see if there is a different section where I can just post a feature request.

Why, bad guys won't connect the Sonos to your home network nor would a potential buyer, and in order to set up Sonos to a new environment a factory reset is required which wipes out your wireless credentials and other data.

However, I think if two-factor authentication were standard, there would be hardly any market for them as they would be pretty useless if stolen. In fact, after I post this I'm going to see if there is a different section where I can just post a feature request.

I did file a police report and told them everything I know. I do not know for sure how the attempted burglars targeted my house, but I can say it was soon after I bought several Sonos items and other than those I basically have nothing of value for a burglar in my house. So I'm pretty sure that is what they were after and no other houses on the block have had similar incidents.

Unless the bad guys have some sort of network that publishes an extensive list of "don't bother with these items," I don't think that two factor would be much of a disincentive. Also, there is the "street sale" aspect where the purchaser would need to know about the two factor too. Baked in serial numbers does not eliminate car theft.

While it is possible that someone at the installation company is "moonlighting", it is also possible that there is a truck follower or someone is logging boxes on trash day.

---

I read an account of a car being stolen from the driveway. The next day the car was returned with an apologetic note claiming that there was a medical emergency and "we needed to borrow your car". As compensation, the thieves left some theater tickets along with the apology. The car owners returned from the theater to a house that had been stripped of all remotely valuable items.

SO there are a few things here.

" I used the Enjoy service and I am suspicious someone who had access to their records tipped off the burglar. ". So you're apparently alleging that a Sonos employee or contractor has sold or given records of systems to thieves. This is quite an allegation given that Sonos is a well known brand, is already in many households and can be seen and heard. Surely it is much more likely that those involved, especially as they failed, are people who either were chancers or had heard of your system through local knowledge? I would have thought some kind of international gang that you allege would be much better at the actual burglarising.

I also find the idea that it is Sonos' responsibility to ensure that there is no incentive to steal the units somewhat bizarre and incompatible with their, obvious, commercial goal of making their products eighty sought after by users. And as has been mentioned you can inform Sonos if units have been stolen and then they can work with law enforcement.

Ultimately we are responsible for our own security and the tried and tested methods for keeping us as safe as possible from burglars clearly applies.

looking at your signature, it should be easy to find the SONOS gear at your place:

“Playbar + Sub + 2 x Play 1/ Stereo Play 3s/ Play 1 Stereo in Kitchen, Play 1 in Bedroom, Study & Bathroom, Sonos One in Conservatory”

just joking :-)

I would rather suggest a ‘hardware’ change and include a slot for the safety cables we use for our laptops and monitors at the office

It seems to me, in light of the new trade-in particulars, that in cases such as these it could make sense to file a police report and then work with Sonos directly (providing case number and perhaps insurance claim information). Perhaps the much derided recycle-mode could be put to very good use if it can be used without to target an specific unit based on identifiers, if not account information…  e.g. speaker/unit serial numbers, MAC addresses, or another identifier in combination. 

Edit… my thinking is flawed, since whoever was in possession of the unit would have to accept and agree to the unit entering that mode when connected, which clearly they would not. So…. nevermind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos has never said (that I’ve heard) what they do in the event of a theft, they have said they require a formal police report to do anything.

I’d recommend you make sure you had receipts (and xerographic non-fading copies) as well as the serial numbers for all your devices. Many police departments can use such a list to alert pawnshops and the like of the stolen items and that can get them back for you.

There isn’t a lot of incentive to steal Sonos for parts, look at the ebay “parts only” listings and you don’t see a lot of activity or great prices.

With the split off of the limited memory Legacy devices maybe some of the other options could be added.

In my area thieves follow the delivery trucks and remove packages left on the doorstep.

A favorite technique is to "shop" the trash bins. In a former living area the trash truck drivers had an alternate "enterprise." They would examine the trash and determine which homes had a dog. They never burglarized a home with a dog.
I have a dog, but this occurred the day after we left with the dog for vacation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will assist you if you provide them a police report that lists the stolen serial numbers. Just what they will do I don't know. If you are sure they are after your Sonos put sign near them telling thieves they will be remotely disabled if stolen.

If you are in a high risk area having the front panels engraved with your name isn't a bad idea, really reduces the resale value to thieves.

Folks where the kids live are using the Amazon delivery boxes rather than their front porches for expensive deliveries, if not from Amazon they have them held at a local UPS store.
I don’t want anyone breaking into my house in the first place to see a sign telling them the Sonos would be disabled.

Sonos should simply require two factor authentication anytime the network a device is on changes or at least an option to enable that. Then burglars wouldn’t want to break in and steal the hardware in the first place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Enjoy is not a Sonos company, its an independent company that offers the same service for a number of companies. If you think they are somehow responsible, report them to the Police.
What I would like from Sonos is a software update, where when someone wants to change the wifi network the speakers are connected to, that triggers the need for two-factor authentication.

Right now Sonos speakers are an ideal item for burglars. They are small and high value, and all you have to do is unplug them and walk out with them/go through a window. No tools required.

I did file a police report and told them everything I know. I do not know for sure how the attempted burglars targeted my house, but I can say it was soon after I bought several Sonos items and other than those I basically have nothing of value for a burglar in my house. So I'm pretty sure that is what they were after and no other houses on the block have had similar incidents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Serial numbers do help reduce theft for sale to pawn shops in areas that require every serial number to be recorded along with seller ID and forwarded to the local police.

That still leaves ebay and Craig's list as well as private sales so it doesn't help all that much unless the crook needs near-instant cash.

I had a house break in on Saturday and they took all my Sonos devices. They left the iPads and other devices they know can be bricked or located.

It would be very easy for Sonos to have a button next to each device on the website where you can enable it stolen and it can therefore not be used by someone else. If you land up selling it you do nothing.

The benefit of this is that the thieves will get to know this to be the case and the items become worthless.