At this point maybe a statement from Sonos might be useful.......

• 16 October 2017
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
This isn't one of those table thumping demands asking Sonos to stand to attention and fix what I don't like. I know these forums don't work like that.

However it's been nearly 2 weeks since Sonos's rather bullish launch of the V8 app, and I'm sure they weren't expecting the tidal wave of dissent that has followed.

Now, before I go any further, I know there are people out there who jsut love the new app, and there are those who love the new black and white colour scheme. And I totally get that the the people who are unhappy are more likely to post on these forums than those that are happy.

However, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, this very public display of dissatisfaction is not a very good for the company or its users. So maybe it's about time Sonos now made a statement -- not in reply to this or to me, or even on this forum, but something to say where the company stands which v8. Is it the vision the company sees for the app (and something we'll have to live with bar any minor tweaks) for some time to come, or is the very beginning of a big 'reset', that will see significant development in the short term. At least some pointer might stem the number of messages on here and let us know where things are heading.

Just a thought .... !

Andrew

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

The new app design has nothing to do with Alexa - one does not interact at all with the other.
Agreed with the latter, but the former may not be true in a broader sense; as voice control gets in, the use of the then seen to be supplementary app will change, dictating design changes there so perhaps some of these have crept in.

At this time I don't use voice, and the app changes leave me as unhappy as I am at every app change for the relearning involved, but no more.

Calling out the system as broken is a leap though, not just a stretch. And there IS another app that I use often, that remains very stable and unchanged. It needs a computer to use it though:-)
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Over the next few releases, I think you'll be seeing some improvements that you like on the foundation of this app. The team is hard at work revising things, and though we can't share any specifics today, the team is really interested in seeing your feedback.

Well, now on 8.2, and I for one am not seeing it.

Andrew
Then I suggest you take a look at the changes made to the My Sonos section.

Requested ability to combine favorites. Check!

Requested smaller icons in list view. Check!

See it now?

See it now?

Responsive indeed, in my opinion. To that end, I just noticed following today's app update a quick-tap from the now-playing screen to enter the current queue... Just to the right side of volume bar. Was that always there in V8 and I missed it, or is it a new addition?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

See it now?

Big ‘rooms’ buttons requiring scrolling if you have more than 2 zones — uncheck

Glaring black and white colour scheme — uncheck

Less than elegant grouping functionality — uncheck

Menu bar at the bottom which looks like it should be persistent but isn’t — uncheck.

Not optimised for larger devices (iPads and the like) — uncheck.

But thank you Jgatie for highlighting the changes.

Ha! So is he responsible for what I see here in my first such over the top title?:https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/version-8-2-broke-my-system-6794151
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

See it now?

I still don't know what the ability to combine favorites means, but you really think the smaller icons update is a big improvement? Please! Ok, so now just STATION icons are smaller. I've still gotta scroll through them, and select all to see them all. Then the next screen is just like it was before. How about changing the album icon size? Playlist icon size, too. This update is a JOKE. Just like everything else with Sonos, lately.
I seem to be stuck in a loop. When I go to the Sonos app on my iPad, go into settings, software update, it says there is an update available, click the button to get it. That takes me to the App Store, but I’m not seeing any way to update it, as all I see is ‘Open.’ If I click that it takes me back to Sonos telling me to update again. What am I missing?
Nothing. Version 8.2 is a bad idea. Stay with 8.1.1, IMO.
I seem to be stuck in a loop. When I go to the Sonos app on my iPad, go into settings, software update, it says there is an update available, click the button to get it. That takes me to the App Store, but I’m not seeing any way to update it, as all I see is ‘Open.’ If I click that it takes me back to Sonos telling me to update again. What am I missing?

That's exactly what happened to me on 8.0. Apparently the update hadn't been pushed out to the app store yet. It worked 30 minutes later.