As the mute button pause function is now public

Badge
"With the announcement of the PLAY:1 comes several new software improvements. For example, the Mute button on your SONOS speakers can now be used for Play/Pause or Skip so you can easily control the music without needing to reach for your phone or tablet. You can also control your systems at work and home without having to reset your app."

I'm not sure how the skip function works but for me the mute/pause function really isn't a 'software improvement'. I used to use the mute button to kill the sound in a grouped zone. IE :- lounge and kitchen are grouped and I don't want to ungroup but I want to kill the sound in the lounge. Now the mute button pauses it. Same difference right? Wrong. Now if you hit the mute button later (as the green led really annoys me) it starts blasting out the music for a few minutes at the exact point you hit mute/pause hours ago. I woke my wife up by doing this and she wasn't too pleased. The skip function could be handy for me but I'd rather have my old mute button back

112 replies

"With the announcement of the PLAY:1 comes several new software improvements. For example, the Mute button on your SONOS speakers can now be used for Play/Pause or Skip so you can easily control the music without needing to reach for your phone or tablet. You can also control your systems at work and home without having to reset your app."

I'm not sure how the skip function works but for me the mute/pause function really isn't a 'software improvement'. I used to use the mute button to kill the sound in a grouped zone. IE :- lounge and kitchen are grouped and I don't want to ungroup but I want to kill the sound in the lounge. Now the mute button pauses it. Same difference right? Wrong. Now if you hit the mute button later (as the green led really annoys me) it starts blasting out the music for a few minutes at the exact point you hit mute/pause hours ago. I woke my wife up by doing this and she wasn't too pleased. The skip function could be handy for me but I'd rather have my old mute button back

I was on the Beta Test group for this feature. One of the additional changes on the Beta build was a more rapidly responding volume toggle.

Instead of the Mute button with a fairly immediate response for the individual unit, the quicker volume-down action worked just as well in my estimation. YMMV

I have not moved to the new formal Firmware so I cannot confirm that the feature I tested made it into the new Firmware release.

Either way, some folks my not feel this is an improvement. My guess is that they are in the minority - not that it helps you much.

Best of Luck
Badge
and manually turning the volume all the way down instead of hitting the mute button also 'activates' the mute function once you get to 0% volume so it isn't a work around. Any changes in volume you make are now much slower to respond in 4.2 as well
I love the skip track feature though I wasn't aware of that until today.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Pretty much one of my "Sound Ideas"

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=33637
Badge

nice one ninja
Badge +1
I been in the beta also and I like the new functionality with the mute button.
It's not always the iPad/iPhone is there a quick press and it's paused.

br
agron
So will Sonos be selling replacement buttons so that the mute icon is now the proper play/pause icon to match the new functionality?

🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I like the new functionality, much prefer it, but I'm genuinely surprised that Sonos didn't make it optional.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Pretty much one of my "Sound Ideas" - and I just love it!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

But first suggested back in 2005/2006.

Here is one such suggestion.

http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=20513&postcount=10

🙂
Userlevel 2
Is there a guide that shows how these new button-functions work?
I've found out that
1 mute button press = play (or pause)
2x mute button press = skip fwd
But I have not figured out how to skip back...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Is there a guide that shows how these new button-functions work?
I've found out that
1 mute button press = play (or pause)
2x mute button press = skip fwd

That's precisely how it works.

Use your controller.
Userlevel 2
Use your controller.

Mkay, thanks.
So there's no skip back-function for the buttons.
Now I can stop trying...:D
Userlevel 2
Hi all,
sorry if this sounds insanely negative, but I absolutely don't like the new mute button functionality! For one, it still is the 'mute button', so that's what I expect it to do when I press it. Also, I liked how pressing that button on a speaker would only mute that one speaker instead of stopping playback on all other speakers it is grouped together with.
There's always been a way to mute all rooms by pressing and holding the mute button on one speaker for about 2 seconds. If Sonos would have changed this behavior so that pressing and holding that button for a moment would stop playback everywhere instead of muting, I'd have been absolutely fine with it. I also like the skip functionality, but I really, really don't like the fact that a single press of the mute button will now kill the sound in all grouped rooms! I think there should at least be an option to revert back to the old setting, I just don't think this should be enforced in such a way.
I absolutely love Sonos and their products are just amazing, but this change actually really disappointed me a lot...
I honestly hope this will be made optional really, really soon!
The Mute function is now integrated into the down volume button. Hold in the down volume to mute.
I read on the Sonos FAQ that streaming radio is muted not paused. I understand why it couldn't be paused with a resume from where I'd left off but am unsure whether this means Sonos will continue to pull data or not. Does anyone know?

I have a speaker in the kitchen that in the week gets about 15 mins of radio use in the morning so a quick way to turn on and off would be great but will be no good if the stream isn't stopped.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I read on the Sonos FAQ that streaming radio is muted not paused. I understand why it couldn't be paused with a resume from where I'd left off but am unsure whether this means Sonos will continue to pull data or not. Does anyone know?

I have a speaker in the kitchen that in the week gets about 15 mins of radio use in the morning so a quick way to turn on and off would be great but will be no good if the stream isn't stopped.

Hi rich24,

The stream will actually stop, not mute. We will adjust the wording in our FAQs. Thank you for pointing this out.

Best,
Gordon
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi rich24,

The stream will actually stop, not mute. We will adjust the wording in our FAQs. Thank you for pointing this out.

Best,
Gordon

Not only does it STOP the stream, but in the first station I tried it with it was exceedingly annoying for the following reason:

Apparently the NPR internet stream always starts with a commercial, regardless of what the stream is playing. When you used to be able to mute the station it would resume where it left off. Now, if I press MUTE it's actually STOPPING it, so if 1 second later I press MUTE again it plays yet another commercial. I just tested this and heard 5 commercials in a row just by muting and unmuting.

Terrible implementation I'm afraid . . .
Badge +1
I love the new pause/play feature! There was nothing worse before, when music was playing and the phone rang .. I pressed mute, to answer it .. to come back to un-mute, and the music was three tracks down the road :rolleyes:

Now I can just start off from where I left it 😃

Terrible implementation I'm afraid . . .

So don't use it. Hold in the down volume if you want to mute.
Badge
jgatie
that only works if you are next to the speaker when you want to lower the volume which kind of defeats the idea of wireless speakers doesn't it?

Robin24 I couldn't agree more with your post. Not that it made a difference but I complained during the beta and got a reply along the lines of let us know if you have any further questions..... Rather than we will consider your perspective.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
jgatie
that only works if you are next to the speaker when you want to lower the volume which kind of defeats the idea of wireless speakers doesn't it?

You have to be next to the speaker to press mute too, right?

Not sure you fully understand how this works.
I can understand that the mute button had its uses, but I just want to chime in and share that for me, the replacement of "mute" by "pause" is just so much handier in my own setup.

Holding the volume down button to mute just the corresponding speaker is not perfect as it takes more time, but seems like a workaround that is faster than the workaround I had to work with when I wanted to pause the stream: get my iphone, unlock it, open the Sonos application and click pause.
Userlevel 2
Found myself using this within a few minutes of installing the upgrade. Great and useful addition to the Sonos system. Thanks Sonos.
Badge +2
Found myself using this within a few minutes of installing the upgrade. Great and useful addition to the Sonos system. Thanks Sonos.

Now we just need to work out how to change the look of the mute button so that it resembles the play/pause button on the Play:1!

I love the new feature too.
I can understand that the mute button had its uses, but I just want to chime in and share that for me, the replacement of "mute" by "pause" is just so much handier in my own setup.

Holding the volume down button to mute just the corresponding speaker is not perfect as it takes more time, but seems like a workaround that is faster than the workaround I had to work with when I wanted to pause the stream: get my iphone, unlock it, open the Sonos application and click pause.

I completely second this. I never use mute. I will use hardwear pause. I guess if the change bothers people there's a case for it being a player setting though maybe Sonos doesn't see the need with 'down volume' to mute being avaliable, although I'm not sure I understand the implementation of that - currently it seems to take a long time to trigger green flashing mute and unmuting doesn't seem to return the volume to the prior level.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings