Answered

Artist Art in Music Library

• 5 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
When I browse artists in music On this Phone, an album art is pulled and displayed as an icon for the artist. When I browse Music Library it does not. I’d like to suggest an updated to fix this please.
icon

Best answer by pwt 5 April 2019, 16:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe the art file needs to reside in the folder with the music to show.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Various conditions need to be met in order for music library album art to display. See the support article below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/543?language=en_US
Badge +1
No. The album art appears for each particular album. It does not appear for a artist.
This has been requested from time to time. Given Sonos' focus on streaming services and the low (single digit now?) percentage of users who still actually have local music libraries, the chances of this feature receiving any development attention must be close to zero.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No. The album art appears for each particular album. It does not appear for a artist.
Ah, I understand now. Yes, this would be a new feature. Don't see it happening due to the implementation difficulties it would present.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Ah, I understand now. Yes, this would be a new feature. Don't see it happening due to the implementation difficulties it would present.

The iOS implementation of this seems to be:
1. Sonos app - pick the artist's first album alphabetically to be the "artist picture"
2. Music player - grab an artist profile pic from Apple Music(?)

Representing an artist by showing one of their album covers doesn't actually make much sense (except maybe if the artist wants their latest album to be used or a subscription service defaults to this). Having an actual artist picture is sensible, although even if you can get that data, you then run into the issue of a band group shot not really working as a small avatar (but it might if browsing artists with a "large tiled" layout). Apart from the tagging difficulties with local libraries, there might be legitimate UI reasons for Sonos not implementing artist icons.