Are you happy with the 3.0 update?

• 28 July 2009
  • 61 replies

Quite simple, lets get some numbers on all the chatter thats flying around. In order that Sonos can gauge some meaningful feedback please reply to this thread with your supporting opinions for your choice.

EDIT: Now I've put my mobile phone down and can type with both hands I'll finish this post off properly.

I voted NO as I believe the perception that has been given and supported is that we, the users, will get our idea's turned into tweaks/new features/upgrades etc. through the Sound Idea's forum. Given that the fact that the last two updates have had very few changes to the system (i.e. Not new services) I fear that the focus on this may have drifted. I understand the current world economic situation means that luxury products suchs as Sonos will be put aside for essential purchase and that Sonos will and must look to increase it's user base to survive doesnt mean that we, as existing users cannot express our dissapointment at this shift. My hopes for the future are that the new controller, which I think is fantastic, will bring better and more wider ranging upgrades, the appearance of the more music feature gives me this hope.

This is nothing to do with it being free, not screwing my system up, or it continuing to do what it should, it is about perception and expectations.....and presently results are falling short of my expectations

There you go, sermon over.....

Are you happy with update 3.0?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

I didn't think they forced these on you: I thought you got a free choice of whichever broken release you want to install, going back years.

:)

Keith

They renamed a bunch of stuff, so to access the online server, you have to upgrade or else the players keep swapping firmware every time you access the online stuff. Some are actually choosing that method rather than upgrade.
Anyone feeling disheartened enough by the 3.0 update to jump ship for another vendor ought to go over the the Squeezebox/Logitech/Slimdevices forums and check out the threads for their latest 7.4 release. I believe this forum would be breaking out the pitchforks and torches if Sonos had ever forced an upgrade like the one over there.

I didn't think they forced these on you: I thought you got a free choice of whichever broken release you want to install, going back years.

:)

Keith
Anyone feeling disheartened enough by the 3.0 update to jump ship for another vendor ought to go over the the Squeezebox/Logitech/Slimdevices forums and check out the threads for their latest 7.4 release. I believe this forum would be breaking out the pitchforks and torches if Sonos had ever forced an upgrade like the one over there.
... Bit of a pointless addition to the thread...

I disagree.

Online forums tend to collect bad stories. A consumer experiences some sort of problem, feels injured, and wishes to "retaliate" for the injury. I suppose that some feel that a loud, negative post will result in faster or better resolution. In some cases the poster might feel that they are doing a public service by "bringing down" the company, thus saving other individuals from injury.

Personally, I appreciate posters returning to explain what happened and the final resolution. Or, simply to say that they are not experiencing the issue. This keeps the issue balanced. Without the balancing posts, someone landing on a thread from a search engine might go away thinking that a product is all problems and no fun, when in reality, a few posters were experiencing some sort of similar issue which may or may not be a fault of the product being discussed.

mawi, I'll admit that you had annoyed a few of us with your probe. Thanks for having a big heart and returning to share your success story.
Badge
Things couldn't be better, I've had none of the reported problems and I am enjoying the newly supported CR200's. :)

Me too. Bit of a pointless addition to the thread, but I've followed it from the beginning, have had no issues, and bought a CR200 yesterday and think it is absolutely fantastic. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Things couldn't be better, I've had none of the reported problems and I am enjoying the newly supported CR200's. 🙂
After update, 3.0 works fine for me, so far no new problems.

Great to hear it, and thanks for reporting back.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
After update, 3.0 works fine for me, so far no new problems.
Userlevel 2
Sonos support has been very helpful to me in addressing a CR100 volume bar redraw slowness problem I was having since 3.0. The problem seems to have been corrected, at least for my system, and I'm quite satisfied. Thanks guys!

- Jon

------------
Fully Committed to a Sonos Home
ZP120 x 25; ZP90 x 3; CR100 x 13; CR200 x 0
Active with NAS; Rhapsody; Pandora; Streaming Terrestrial Radio
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade... that's quite common thing to do in this 'market', and we all know electronics and software are not perfect, so no point in hiding the fixed bugs. In fact, I'd say its a positive feeling to see bugs listed and fixed!

I totally agree. Sonos could be a much more transparent company, I think it would be very appreciated.

Right now, I am hunting around to understand what 3.0 will bring me. I am almost at the point where I want to document these problems, since I may be facing them soon... :-(

In my case, I have found several things that I am trying to troubleshoot in 3.0, but since I have no tech notes I am just 'blind'... I notice differences in the scrollwheel code, (annoying!) but no release notes to even determine whether there was intentional change or not... oh well, it's a real waste of my time, but I want the product to improve -- so I don't give up.

Exactly!

Brings me to think about a bug report list or to the old idea of a wiki. Hmm...
Badge
so your Ferrari is relegated to parking on the street, eh? ;-)

Well, since you asked... Actually it was sold because the Formula 2000 was so much better at the road course tracks i frequent.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just noticed that the new icons for zones appear only on the Desktop Controller (Windows) and not on the CR100 controllers which still show the more distinctive icons such as a carton of popcorn (media room) and a computer (office).

Maybe another thing that slipped through QA, but I do prefer the old icons.

I also don't like the new icons in the WIN app, the old icons were a much more clearer indication of the rooms!

Sonos, for sake of clarity please gives us the old icons back!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
1. right after the update, all 3 CR100 controllers have a slow/delayed volume indicators.
2. do NOT like the "more music" listing, just adds more visual noise, and I'd like to be able to delete that as I've already set the services I want.
3. Sonos Playlists now don't function correctly on all 3 CR100s, and playlist just disappear for no apparent reason.

Net, this is NOT an improvement but a downgrade for my current system.

TS claims that 3.0 did not cause these issues.
Hope they find a way to let some of us go back to 2.8 which worked well for my system.
I LOVE Sonos, am probably one of its best walking commercials as we entertain a lot. On this new update to 3.0 (I'm on the original controller) I can no longer simply select a playlist with the wheel button and add to cue. I have to scroll through playlist and then remember to select the bottom row button for "Add to queue". I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do wish Sonos and Apple would get cozier as in general the interface is still clunky. I would also like to control the view of my playlists more. We have three different computers in the house feeding the system, and I'd love more control over the imported playlists as far as what is seen etc.

This has been acknowledged by Sonos and is being looked into. Here's the thread:

CR100 missing 'All Tracks' under Imported Playlists in 3.0
Userlevel 2
I LOVE Sonos, am probably one of its best walking commercials as we entertain a lot. On this new update to 3.0 (I'm on the original controller) I can no longer simply select a playlist with the wheel button and add to cue. I have to scroll through playlist and then remember to select the bottom row button for "Add to queue". I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do wish Sonos and Apple would get cozier as in general the interface is still clunky. I would also like to control the view of my playlists more. We have three different computers in the house feeding the system, and I'd love more control over the imported playlists as far as what is seen etc.
Badge +9
Garage should be an image of a Ferrari... or wife's Soccer Mom thing

so your Ferrari is relegated to parking on the street, eh? 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'd hold off an wait a little... suggest you don't update to 3.0 because with older hardware and old controller CR100 you won't see any benefits... furthermore, I have noticed some issues with the 3.0 upgrade myself, to the point that I regret upgrading altogether.

That's just *my* opinion, and no one else's, but since you're asking for opinions, there you have it!

I agree, hold off on the upgrade unless you need to use a CR200.

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade...

+1
Userlevel 2
I'd hold off an wait a little... suggest you don't update to 3.0 because with older hardware and old controller CR100 you won't see any benefits... furthermore, I have noticed some issues with the 3.0 upgrade myself, to the point that I regret upgrading altogether.

Thanks, read a bunch of different posts and decided to hold off on the code load...
Badge
Voted yes because it updated and not much changed and it simply worked as before. Usually products 'upgrades' breaks things and makes a product a newfound Time Vampire. If i wanted another Time Vampire, i'd get Sony's "Stupid POS That Doesn't Do the G.D. Thing It's... Supposed To".

As for the icons, seems like someone was going for classic old-school European. My opinion of the icons... meh.

(Humor below)
In the future, the Bathroom icon would be a man standing in front of the toilet doing his business.

Livingroom could be a HUGE flat panel TV.. or an extensive drumset/percussion in my case. An optional icon could be a Lay-Z-Boy recliner and a 6-pack of beer.

Master Bedroom could be an icon of, eh hem, a swing.

Office should be an icon of Satan... or a jail cell. Bonus points if you make it a rotating gif between the two images.

Kitchen could be an image of butcher's knife... or classic La Pavoni hand/manual cappuccino machine (preferably the gold one with rosewood handles. Très magnifique!).

Outdoor should be an icon of a butterfly, or swimming pool... or that Chevy on blocks that is rusting away. Added bonus points if the icon's rust slowly envelopes the car.

Garage should be an image of a Ferrari... or wife's Soccer Mom thing because, well, she gets her half of the garage as my half is filled with commercial-grade tall Craftsman toolboxes, garbage cans, the bicycles, various outdoor sports equipment... and this big box of assorted 'stuff' that must weight 75 lbs we never use yet must never be thrown out either.
Userlevel 1
Badge

That's just *my* opinion, and no one else's, but since you're asking for opinions, there you have it!

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade... that's quite common thing to do in this 'market', and we all know electronics and software are not perfect, so no point in hiding the fixed bugs. In fact, I'd say its a positive feeling to see bugs listed and fixed!

In my case, I have found several things that I am trying to troubleshoot in 3.0, but since I have no tech notes I am just 'blind'... I notice differences in the scrollwheel code, (annoying!) but no release notes to even determine whether there was intentional change or not... oh well, it's a real waste of my time, but I want the product to improve -- so I don't give up.

Does anyone know if there were any bug fixes with 3.0?

It seemed like when I went to 2.8, the sonos seemed to hang more often, whether it was internet radio, pandora or streaming from my music library. Since I have old hardware, is there any benefit to go to 3.0? The release notes are very generic.

It would be great to see the engineering version of them that showed what was fixed and any know limitations. I understand they probably would not want to release notes that may sound like the product has problems but for techies like me, I would find it beneficial...
Userlevel 2
Does anyone know if there were any bug fixes with 3.0?

It seemed like when I went to 2.8, the sonos seemed to hang more often, whether it was internet radio, pandora or streaming from my music library. Since I have old hardware, is there any benefit to go to 3.0? The release notes are very generic.

It would be great to see the engineering version of them that showed what was fixed and any know limitations. I understand they probably would not want to release notes that may sound like the product has problems but for techies like me, I would find it beneficial...
I appreciate your homble opinion, the poll however is about the upgrade. Unless you have more data to back up your statements you shouldn't bundle this poll with the CR200.

Are you saying 3.0 update did not include support for the CR200 controller? Because I believe this proves it does:

In addition to enabling the new features of the CR200, Sonos 3.0 allows the CR200 to work seamlessly with any existing Sonos Controllers, including the CR100, Sonos Controller for iPhone and Sonos Controller for Mac or PC.

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=13596

Sounds to me like the primary function of 3.0 is enabling the CR200, followed by integrating CR200 operation with the other controllers.
Userlevel 2
This is the second time this has come up and I have to say I do not agree the CR200 does not apply to update 3.0. The main reason for 3.0 was a major hardware change - support for the CR200. Say 5000 man hours were required to change the software to include support for the CR200. That's 5000 man hours that were not used on other items.

Now I can't be sure, but Sonos probably does not like developers sitting around doing nothing. So if the CR200 was not on the agenda, they would have been working on some other aspect of the system, possibly even some other Sound Idea items. The fact that some people derive "nothing useful" from update 3.0 may be directly due to the fact 3.0 had to support the CR200, thus all efforts concentrated on that one goal. Nothing is done in a vacuum, and a development team only has so many hours in a day (usually spending a lot more of them working than most people, but the limit is still only 24 ;)).

I appreciate your homble opinion, the poll however is about the upgrade. Unless you have more data to back up your statements you shouldn't bundle this poll with the CR200.
Userlevel 2
CR200 only. We will have to start getting used to this. Bummer.

Bummer...
The CR200 does not apply to the question, however I do agree it was surely a major effort. I didn't expect anything less for a ($/€) 349 device!

This is the second time this has come up and I have to say I do not agree the CR200 does not apply to update 3.0. The main reason for 3.0 was a major hardware change - support for the CR200. Say 5000 man hours were required to change the software to include support for the CR200. That's 5000 man hours that were not used on other items.

Now I can't be sure, but Sonos probably does not like developers sitting around doing nothing. So if the CR200 was not on the agenda, they would have been working on some other aspect of the system, possibly even some other Sound Idea items. The fact that some people derive "nothing useful" from update 3.0 may be directly due to the fact 3.0 had to support the CR200, thus all efforts concentrated on that one goal. Nothing is done in a vacuum, and a development team only has so many hours in a day (usually spending a lot more of them working than most people, but the limit is still only 24 ;)).