Are you happy with the 3.0 update?

• 28 July 2009
  • 61 replies

Quite simple, lets get some numbers on all the chatter thats flying around. In order that Sonos can gauge some meaningful feedback please reply to this thread with your supporting opinions for your choice.

EDIT: Now I've put my mobile phone down and can type with both hands I'll finish this post off properly.

I voted NO as I believe the perception that has been given and supported is that we, the users, will get our idea's turned into tweaks/new features/upgrades etc. through the Sound Idea's forum. Given that the fact that the last two updates have had very few changes to the system (i.e. Not new services) I fear that the focus on this may have drifted. I understand the current world economic situation means that luxury products suchs as Sonos will be put aside for essential purchase and that Sonos will and must look to increase it's user base to survive doesnt mean that we, as existing users cannot express our dissapointment at this shift. My hopes for the future are that the new controller, which I think is fantastic, will bring better and more wider ranging upgrades, the appearance of the more music feature gives me this hope.

This is nothing to do with it being free, not screwing my system up, or it continuing to do what it should, it is about perception and expectations.....and presently results are falling short of my expectations

There you go, sermon over.....

Are you happy with update 3.0?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade... that's quite common thing to do in this 'market', and we all know electronics and software are not perfect, so no point in hiding the fixed bugs. In fact, I'd say its a positive feeling to see bugs listed and fixed!

I totally agree. Sonos could be a much more transparent company, I think it would be very appreciated.

Right now, I am hunting around to understand what 3.0 will bring me. I am almost at the point where I want to document these problems, since I may be facing them soon... :-(

In my case, I have found several things that I am trying to troubleshoot in 3.0, but since I have no tech notes I am just 'blind'... I notice differences in the scrollwheel code, (annoying!) but no release notes to even determine whether there was intentional change or not... oh well, it's a real waste of my time, but I want the product to improve -- so I don't give up.

Exactly!

Brings me to think about a bug report list or to the old idea of a wiki. Hmm...
Userlevel 2
Sonos support has been very helpful to me in addressing a CR100 volume bar redraw slowness problem I was having since 3.0. The problem seems to have been corrected, at least for my system, and I'm quite satisfied. Thanks guys!

- Jon

------------
Fully Committed to a Sonos Home
ZP120 x 25; ZP90 x 3; CR100 x 13; CR200 x 0
Active with NAS; Rhapsody; Pandora; Streaming Terrestrial Radio
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
After update, 3.0 works fine for me, so far no new problems.
After update, 3.0 works fine for me, so far no new problems.

Great to hear it, and thanks for reporting back.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
Things couldn't be better, I've had none of the reported problems and I am enjoying the newly supported CR200's. 🙂
Badge
Things couldn't be better, I've had none of the reported problems and I am enjoying the newly supported CR200's. :)

Me too. Bit of a pointless addition to the thread, but I've followed it from the beginning, have had no issues, and bought a CR200 yesterday and think it is absolutely fantastic. 🙂
... Bit of a pointless addition to the thread...

I disagree.

Online forums tend to collect bad stories. A consumer experiences some sort of problem, feels injured, and wishes to "retaliate" for the injury. I suppose that some feel that a loud, negative post will result in faster or better resolution. In some cases the poster might feel that they are doing a public service by "bringing down" the company, thus saving other individuals from injury.

Personally, I appreciate posters returning to explain what happened and the final resolution. Or, simply to say that they are not experiencing the issue. This keeps the issue balanced. Without the balancing posts, someone landing on a thread from a search engine might go away thinking that a product is all problems and no fun, when in reality, a few posters were experiencing some sort of similar issue which may or may not be a fault of the product being discussed.

mawi, I'll admit that you had annoyed a few of us with your probe. Thanks for having a big heart and returning to share your success story.
Anyone feeling disheartened enough by the 3.0 update to jump ship for another vendor ought to go over the the Squeezebox/Logitech/Slimdevices forums and check out the threads for their latest 7.4 release. I believe this forum would be breaking out the pitchforks and torches if Sonos had ever forced an upgrade like the one over there.
Anyone feeling disheartened enough by the 3.0 update to jump ship for another vendor ought to go over the the Squeezebox/Logitech/Slimdevices forums and check out the threads for their latest 7.4 release. I believe this forum would be breaking out the pitchforks and torches if Sonos had ever forced an upgrade like the one over there.

I didn't think they forced these on you: I thought you got a free choice of whichever broken release you want to install, going back years.

:)

Keith
I didn't think they forced these on you: I thought you got a free choice of whichever broken release you want to install, going back years.

:)

Keith

They renamed a bunch of stuff, so to access the online server, you have to upgrade or else the players keep swapping firmware every time you access the online stuff. Some are actually choosing that method rather than upgrade.