Are you happy with the 3.0 update?

• 28 July 2009
  • 61 replies

Quite simple, lets get some numbers on all the chatter thats flying around. In order that Sonos can gauge some meaningful feedback please reply to this thread with your supporting opinions for your choice.

EDIT: Now I've put my mobile phone down and can type with both hands I'll finish this post off properly.

I voted NO as I believe the perception that has been given and supported is that we, the users, will get our idea's turned into tweaks/new features/upgrades etc. through the Sound Idea's forum. Given that the fact that the last two updates have had very few changes to the system (i.e. Not new services) I fear that the focus on this may have drifted. I understand the current world economic situation means that luxury products suchs as Sonos will be put aside for essential purchase and that Sonos will and must look to increase it's user base to survive doesnt mean that we, as existing users cannot express our dissapointment at this shift. My hopes for the future are that the new controller, which I think is fantastic, will bring better and more wider ranging upgrades, the appearance of the more music feature gives me this hope.

This is nothing to do with it being free, not screwing my system up, or it continuing to do what it should, it is about perception and expectations.....and presently results are falling short of my expectations

There you go, sermon over.....

Are you happy with update 3.0?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

You should turn the thread into a poll.
I'm very happy, if only to offset the people who are, were and never will be happy, at least until Sonos runs their shower, cooks them breakfast, and drives them to work (after which we'll hear complaints about burned eggs and a heavy accelerator foot).
Never underestimate the joys of posting via mobile phone! Done!
I'm happy with it. It didn't take any of the functionality away that I already had, it's introduced support form some new hardware and IT DIDN'T COST ME A PENNY!!

Would I have liked some other features specific to me in it? Well yes, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy. I've had many wonderful years of use of my Sonos system and expect to have many more before I could consider it remotely obsolete or replaceable. It wasn't cheap but it's the best value piece of electronics equipment I think I have purchased in the last 5-10 years considering it's longevity and how darn good it is.

Under the circumstances I feel that if I had complained about being "unhappy" that would make me an unreasonable, selfish, and ungrateful idiot.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
It's not made much of a difference to me. I really don't like the "More Music" menu that has appeared in the middle of the main menu on the CR100 and in the music services section of the desktop controller, I already have music service subscriptions configured so it does nothing other than clutter the interface. The only other change I've noticed is the new zone icons on the desktop controller, it would've been nice to have consistency and changed the CR100 icons as well. But despite these (minor) negatives I can't honestly say I'm unhappy with the update, after all it was free and my Sonos still works as well as it always has, the problem is I can't really say I'm happy with it either, so put me down as indifferent.
Yeah, "indifferent" is a great description. I don't know if it's too late to edit the poll to include this.

Cheers,

Keith
Yeah, "indifferent" is a great description. I don't know if it's too late to edit the poll to include this.

Cheers,

Keith

Can't seem to do this by editing the original post, can you do this with your mod superpowers?

Note to self: dont post polls on forums from mobile phone.:o
Can't seen to do this by editing the original post, can you do this with your mod superpowers?

As it turns out, I can... and I didn't even have to put my underpants on over my trousers!

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
Quite simple, lets get some numbers on all the chatter thats flying around. In order that Sonos can gauge some meaningful feedback please reply to this thread with your supporting opinions for your choice.

Is there a list of the new features somewhere? I can't seem to find a list of the new changes and things seem pretty much the same to me.
Badge +4
I'm indifferent to this update. I think the new controller is nice but I don't want to spend money on it. The new icons are nice, the 'More Music' option that I get on the controller is not functional, would be nice if I could switch that off. It's interface clutter right now.

I think Sonos generally does a good job with the updates. They all install flawlessly!

Offcourse we all can think of a lot of new stuff and demand that they make it in the releases, but that's not how it works in sw or hw development.
I am very happy with my current Sonos stuff, it's worth every euro-penny I have spent on it!

Still awaiting the Iphone-app 3.0 but I don't expect any new functionalities there.

Last remark: I can hardly believe that this 3.0 does not have small bugfixes... Or is the Sonos software that good? 🙂
Userlevel 2
I love my Sonos but I have to say with my family (8 people) all using it and all with different tastes in music the file limit is a royal pain in the ***! Can somebody at Sonos just up it please! As for the rest of the update I have really noticed anything that makes me go wow but I have noticed some small changes that, well for me anyway, don't make a blind bit of diiference but thanks anyway
Can somebody at Sonos just up it please!

How exactly do you propose they "just up it?" You act like they can simply wave a magic wand and get 1 million tracks, but choose not to because they like torturing you and others with huge libraries. I assure you, they aren't doing that.
Userlevel 2
LOL @jgatie :D

I understand the complexities of updating the track limit because of the hardware, but there might be a solution: by integrating UPnP support. This way us-tortured-people-with-huge-libraries at least have some way of listening to their music with Sonos.

I am not expecting Sonos to add this for free, I'd be more than willing to pay for such an extra. 🆒
LOL @jgatie :D

I understand the complexities of updating the track limit because of the hardware, but there might be a solution: by integrating UPnP support. This way us-tortured-people-with-huge-libraries at least have some way of listening to their music with Sonos.

I am not expecting Sonos to add this for free, I'd be more than willing to pay for such an extra. 🆒

Which server would you like them to interface with? Twonky? Squeezecenter? WMP? iTunes?

How much effort should they put into this integration, both in development and support?

What about the users who now can't run a simple NAS because they need to run a server? Should Sonos now only support NAS drives that are powerful enough to run the server (whatever server that is)?

Should Sonos, a small company, abandon all effort in improving their core functionality and instead push for integration with any and all UPnP servers on the market?

Should they go even further and develop their own server (much to the chagrin of the "I already run xyz server crowd) so as to minimize the impact on support?

Exactly how much extra are you going to pay to support the new Server Team at Sonos? Is the number of users willing to pay for this enough to pay the salaries of the team?

Just a few things to think about . . .
Badge +2
I'm sorry to whomever was presumably paid to redesign the icons, but they're generally insipid and no improvement from before.

Telephones are ubiquitous; nothing about it really means "office" to me... and it's been a long time since a phone looked like that anyway. I'm guessing the "Living room" icon is supposed to be an overstuffed chair, but it looks as much like a phone jack. The crossed knife and fork for the kitchen inside a circle look like a cancel button. Does anyone know what the foyer/hallway thing is suppsed to be? A steam radiator?

There's so much duplication, too... garden=patio; hallway=foyer; den=media room=tv room.

The patio/garden icon is attractive and cute and makes good use of the circular space. Too bad Sonos doesn't make a waterproof/portable zoneplayer.

Really, I think the thing to do next time is to let us install our own graphics.
Userlevel 2
I answered NO.

A whole *version* update, but nothing new available to me. Therefore, IMHO, there is no update. It's a new version available for new users. That's great for the company, who obviously wants new users.

But the fact is that I still can't manage my own music library the way I'd like to (ie. view the lyric tag on the controller, among other things). So to tell me that *I* have received a full version update, that's simply not true. I haven't gotten a thing.

Sonos has had a version update, great for them, congrats. But I have not received any updates. Not since I bought my Sonos. It's okay, I wouldn't give up my Sonos for anything! But like someone else said here, don't tease me and ask me to offer "Sound Ideas" and then not ever do anything about them. It hurts my psyche.
:(

Censored again.

Our auto-mod doesn't seem to like you very much. Maybe get in touch with Sid, it could be your IP-Address or something.
Userlevel 2
Our auto-mod doesn't seem to like you very much. Maybe get in touch with Sid, it could be your IP-Address or something.

Haha, then Sonos would be screening the US gov't 😉 Actually, I don't believe the IP address is a problem, as the last censure was of my home IP, while today I'm at my desk job.

Is it something I'm saying? I mean, I don't always say nice things, but I don't mean to say anything purely evil.... 😕
Badge +9
I'm happy with it but that's because to me, someone who will be using a CR200 among other controllers, do feel its a big upgrade (the controller i mean, being a new piece of kit). I do really think that there should have been perhaps an option to download 3.0 only if you got the controller, instead of making everyone do it. Oddly, downloading it doesn't hurt anyone...but I can understand that THINKING it will give you something other than new controller support would then make you feel like it wasn't worth the 3.0 naming.
Badge
I have voted Yes. I've got no immediate downsides. I'm happy that Sonos continually add functionality to their purchased product.

I've been so close to buying an iPod Touch as my main controller. I need a second one ond would retire the CR100 to the secondary function. I now have to decide whether to buy a 16GB Touch on eBay for ~100GBP or fork out for the CR200.

Inclined to save and get the Sonos one.....
Badge +2
Voted yes and look forward to orderign one soon. The update went extremenly smooth without any issues.
Userlevel 2
Found out about update quite by accident when booting up Sonos. Now I have 3.0 instead of 2.8 but could not discern any change in performance. Noticed Icon Change and More Music option but these changes are cosmetic. Read comment about this update being for the new Controller. Fair enough. Read the new features and liked the alpha search and the better battery life but those are not worth $349-at least not yet. Device also looks quite boxy. I rated it indifferent because if it did not occur the system would function as before. Not complaining since I remember how awful the software once was. Worked fine until there was a power outage and then good luck getting it to reconnect. Those days are hopefully gone so I will be quiet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I voted yes, because without it, the CR200 wouldn't work. I have never experienced the iPhone app so the CR200 has been a big revelation to me - I just can't put it down! It has changed the way I use Sonos/Last.FM/Napster almost as much as Sonos improved my appreciation of music.

We love it, although the CR100 will always have a place in the bathroom/garden

PS I hate the new icons!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I voted "No". Sonos spoiled me with the early releases. There were always small or sometimes large improvements even when the main thrust of the release didn't apply to me. Sonos listened to its users then. Each release made a great user experience even better. The last few have been disappointing. The designers at Sonos seem to think the UI is finished - doesn't need any new functions.

I can't understand why the new "Info" function isn't included with the desktop controller.

And, yes, I too hate the new icons.
Userlevel 2
Interesting to see people mention the track limit. I just found out about it and opened up two threads on it. I love the Sonos experience but I'm thinking about going back to the dark side (haven't sold my Squeezeboxes). The painful memories of using them are still too fresh, so I guess I'll hang in there for a bit.

It has stopped me from buying the new controller so far.

Has everybody e-mailed customer service and requested that they work on it? The squeaky wheel gets the oil and Sonos seems to actually care what their customers think.

I'm not saying it's an easy snap your fingers fix. I don't think designing this system was easy either. They seem to have gotten more right than other companies have. I'm sure they could figure something out if it was deemed a priority.

I didn't know there was an update until I read this thread. I've had too many bad experiences updating Squeezeboxes. I'm not sure if I'll bother with it.

Please send any concerns about the Track Limit to Sonos customer support. It may not be a problem for you now but it could be in the future.