Are there any users out there that are still using the CR100 and have added a ZP80/90 or ZP100/120?

• 5 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

i realize that most of the community has moved on from the Sonos Controllers.  I still have two and regardless of the fact that they are slow, I still like them.

I have two ZP100’s and a ZP80 and I’ve often wanted to add another amp to my existing system without upgrading to S1.

My system is on what I believe is the last firmware that supports the CR100 and that is 8.4.

When I go to the Admin Panel, or whatever it is called, I can see the software version listed as 41.3-50131 which appears to match the build number listed in the screen capture above.

There is a ton of gear on Fleabay and many of the items are ridiculously inexpensive.  I’d like to try and find something that is on the same Firmware version as my system.

So, here’s my question…...if i find a unit that is on the same Firmware version as my system, will it be pretty straight forward to add it?  Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I agree with @controlav . You have to factory reset the units and then there is absolutely no way of getting Sonos to update them to v8.4.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve blocked update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com.  So, I am in no danger of an unwanted upgrade.

I don’t have any idea of how firmware upgrades work.  Doesn’t each system have sort of a single gateway to Sonos such that the upgrade goes to it first, then from there out to the resto of the components?

I worked on the Sonos update code many years ago, but my memory is vague. It goes something like this:

1. Go and make sure the app is the latest version
  2. Once the app is updated, update all devices on the network to match
  3. When the new device is added, go find its latest firmware and update that too

I see zero chance of any of these steps working in your scenario.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve blocked update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com.  So, I am in no danger of an unwanted upgrade.

I don’t have any idea of how firmware upgrades work.  Doesn’t each system have sort of a single gateway to Sonos such that the upgrade goes to it first, then from there out to the resto of the components?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think you will have a very hard time with this plan. Assuming you find a device still running 8.4, that hasn’t been “recycled”, you will need to factory reset it in order to add it to your existing system. When you fire up the 8.4 PC app and say “add new item” pretty sure it is going to force upgrade the app and then your devices way past 8.4.

As I don’t have a time machine, and my memory is poor, I have no way of verifying my theory. Good luck.