Are there any plans for a fix for not being able to choose “songs” and then “shuffle” when using Apple Music?

• 31 January 2021
  • 8 replies

For as long as I’ve been using Sonos, I’ve never been able to shuffle songs on Apple Music. It’s really frustrating. Not sure if it’s an Apple issue or a Sonos issue or both. Please fix this. 🙂 I’d be so happy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jinsandwich .

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand your frustration for not being able to listen on your preferred way. Allow me to ask some questions to better understand the situation.

• Regarding being able to shuffle songs, is is this only for apple music or same goes with other music services?
  • Are we using a paid or free subscription?
  • Are we using a Sonos App on a mobile device or a desktop/Mac computer?
  • Are we using the Sonos App or the Apple music app(via Airplay)?
  • Both the mobile and desktop Sonos App have shuffle options.
    • On the desktop Sonos App, it shuffle and repeat icon/button is located at the left side of the currently playing progress bar/slider.
    • On the other hand, the mobile Sonos App, shuffle icon/button is location inside the queue. Once we are able to play music via the Sonos App, tap on the bottom middle portion of the Sonos app (rooms tab), tap on the now playing icon, then tap on the queue icon. Beside the Play button should be the word Shuffle or repeat (which ever it is currently on).

Please let me know how it goes and do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Thank you -

What I’m trying to do is this path: Apple Music > My Music > Songs and then shuffle all

• Regarding being able to shuffle songs, is is this only for apple music or same goes with other music services? -- ONLY APPLE MUSIC

• Are we using a paid or free subscription? PAID
  •  
  • Are we using a Sonos App on a mobile device or a desktop/Mac computer? BOTH

• Are we using the Sonos App or the Apple music app(via Airplay)? SONOS

• Both the mobile and desktop Sonos App have shuffle options.
    • On the desktop Sonos App, it shuffle and repeat icon/button is located at the left side of the currently playing progress bar/slider.
    • On the other hand, the mobile Sonos App, shuffle icon/button is location inside the queue. Once we are able to play music via the Sonos App, tap on the bottom middle portion of the Sonos app (rooms tab), tap on the now playing icon, then tap on the queue icon. Beside the Play button should be the word Shuffle or repeat (which ever it is currently on).

ABOVE DOESN’T QUITE MAKE SENSE

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jinsandwich.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

Both the mobile and desktop Sonos App have shuffle options.

The above is the instruction on how to be able to shuffle songs being played on queue. These instruction will take you to the shuffle icon on the Sonos App both for desktop Sonos App or Sonos app on a mobile device. Since as per your provided issue, you are unable to shuffle songs using Apple music as the music service. These instruction would help out. Let me know if you have questions. 

Thanks,

Thanks — I think you’re missing my question/issue. As I wrote above, I’m trying to do is this path: Apple Music > My Music > Songs and then shuffle.

When you follow the path above, there is a shuffle button but it will not shuffle. 

screen shot:

Badge +17

Hi @jinsandwich,

Apologies for the late response. I’ve tried replicating this on my end, but I don’t experience the same thing you’ve reported. Are you still having this issue?

Just too many songs to shuffle in the OP’s My Music?  Just a guess.   The visible  list doesn’t get very far into the As!  Looks like he’s trying to shuffle the whole library?

There are problems recorded for over 3 years. Why is this still not resolved by Sonos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Music services are told to not enable Play All and Shuffle All on lists of more than 500 items, as Sonos cannot reliably play them.

Details at https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/add-play-shuffle-all/