Apple to require iOS 11 for all app updates starting in July!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Here's your warning, Apple device users... this is an Apple requirement, not a Sonos one... starting in July, any app updates will require iOS 11. So if you have a device that isn't running it, the time to update to iOS 11 is coming soon. And if your device can't run iOS 11, be prepared to not be able to update to the latest version of the app starting in July.

http://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05072018a&1525716802

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the heads up MikeV
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The following devices are iOS 11 compatible:
iPhone 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X.
iPad Air, Air 2 and 5th-gen iPad.
iPad Mini 2, 3, and 4.
All iPad Pros.
6th-gen iPod Touch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My 6 Plus controller still hanging in there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Good list of devices, Chris... the latest (6th-gen) iPad that was updated earlier this year should also be on there though. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe I can replace the iPad Air I had before that my wife has appeared to have stolen.
This is going to go down a storm with all those using old iPhone4S+, iTouch5+, iPad2+ as Sonos controllers. I wonder if as much invective will be hurled at Apple as was generated over the CR100 demise....
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I wonder if as much invective will be hurled at Apple as was generated over the CR100 demise....

I wonder if the small group of users who vehemently defended Sonos bricking the cr100 and hurled invective at the owners who were affected..... also defend Apple?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you must be confusing vehemently defending with not agreeing that end of lifting a nearly decade old remote (that has been replaced by free software) is the same as losing an appendage.

Apple does what it does. We have no control over that. Apple requiring updated equipment and Sonos not being able to support much older equipments. It’s no different. The point was always these thing happen as technology advances and Sonos having to drop cr100 support is the same thing other companies do everyday (but many try to say otherwise)
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
you must be confusing vehemently defending with not agreeing that end of lifting a nearly decade old remote (that has been replaced by free software) is the same as losing an appendage.

)

5 mins for you to prove my point. :8
I wonder if as much invective will be hurled at Apple as was generated over the CR100 demise....

I wonder if the small group of users who vehemently defended Sonos bricking the cr100 and hurled invective at the owners who were affected..... also defend Apple?

The next time Apple retires a 13 year old single use device that hasn't been sold in almost a decade, I will agree with them that its time has come. But don't let that stop you from your shtick, Logan.
Having just bought a few 5th Gen iPod Touches to use solely as controllers I must admit that I'm disappointed although I assume that they will continue to work, albeit on the older version of the app..?
This does, however, support my usual position of refusing to use any Apple devices.
Having just bought a few 5th Gen iPod Touches to use solely as controllers I must admit that I'm disappointed although I assume that they will continue to work, albeit on the older version of the app..?
This does, however, support my usual position of refusing to use any Apple devices.

Older versions of the app will be missing most of the Settings menu, and will eventually not run with new updates to hardware. Usually you can get 3 or 4 generations of releases before an older version of the app stops working.
I, too, am an Apple refusnik. Maybe best to put them back on eBay, cut your losses, and buy a couple of cheap Android tablets such as those made my Lenovo or Amazon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yes historically Android devices have had better longevity. And the CR100 had the most longevity.
[quote=John B]Maybe best to put them back on eBay, cut your losses, and buy a couple of cheap Android tablets such as those made my Lenovo or Amazon.
That's one option, although I like the small ipod touch in a waterproof case for bathroom/shower control.
This aggressive move by Apple to effectively obsolete platforms -- iTouch5 was discontinued barely 3 years ago -- may prompt Sonos to consider reintroducing 'partial functionality' mode for an iOS controller that has a version mismatch with the player firmware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I put Sonos One in bathroom and find voice control the perfect way to go for the shower and other business.
I put Sonos One in bathroom and find voice control the perfect way to go for the shower and other business.
That's a good idea but is again pushing me to buy a piece of equipment that I don't really need or want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This aggressive move by Apple to effectively obsolete platforms -- iTouch5 was discontinued barely 3 years ago -- may prompt Sonos to consider reintroducing 'partial functionality' mode for an iOS controller that has a version mismatch with the player firmware.
Hopefully partial Ios controllers will return, I assumed they were clearing the decks for airplay2.
My iphone5 is stuck on 10.3.3 😞 and is only used as sonos bedroom controller, still has v.good battery life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Here's your warning, Apple device users... this is an Apple requirement, not a Sonos one... starting in July, any app updates will require iOS 11. So if you have a device that isn't running it, the time to update to iOS 11 is coming soon. And if your device can't run iOS 11, be prepared to not be able to update to the latest version of the app starting in July.

http://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05072018a&1525716802

Err... wait a minute... - I have just read the announcement in the link.. - to save everyone the effort of going there, here's the entirety of the text to be found there:

"iOS 11 delivers innovative features and the redesigned App Store to hundreds of millions of customers around the world. Your apps can deliver more intelligent, unified, and immersive experiences with Core ML, ARKit, new camera APIs, new SiriKit domains, Apple Music integration, drag and drop for iPad, and more. Starting July 2018, all iOS app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK and must support the Super Retina display of iPhone X."

Now, English is my first language, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of it, and to my mind, I see NOTHING there that suggests or outright states that END USERS of apps coming down TO their devices FROM the app store, have to running iOS11... - what it does plainly state, TO DEVELOPERS is that app DEVELOPERS must BUILD their apps and submit them TO the appstore with the iOS11 DEV KIT...

This announcement is on the DEVELOPERS website... - it is not an announcement to the millions of Apple device users who are consumers of those apps... it is not an announcement piped at users when they go to the appstore, nor is it in the iTunes release notes (AFAICT).

Therefore, is this not, in fact, just blatant FUD-mongering? - If anyone can point out an announcement from Apple that supports the assertion made in the opening post, then I'm happy to be corrected on any/all of my interpretations of the situation.
Going forward, iOS apps will need to adopt these technologies, and more importantly, Apple will be forcing developers who have not yet implemented support for the new display of the iPhone X to do so. While most major apps have added support for the iPhone X, there are still many apps that have not been updated and continue to have ugly black bars when used on the iPhone X.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/07/app-updates-iphone-x-support-july/

So, not only will developers be required to develop using iOS 11 going forward, all developers will be forced to update current apps to iOS 11 to accommodate the iPhone X display, effectively rendering every iOS device not running iOS 11 as useless.

The only way to use these devices in the future would be to freeze every app at the current version and never update again.

Hmmmmm, sounds familiar . . .
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Going forward, iOS apps will need to adopt these technologies, and more importantly, Apple will be forcing developers who have not yet implemented support for the new display of the iPhone X to do so. While most major apps have added support for the iPhone X, there are still many apps that have not been updated and continue to have ugly black bars when used on the iPhone X.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/07/app-updates-iphone-x-support-july/

So, not only will developers be required to develop using iOS 11 going forward, all developers will be forced to update current apps to iOS 11 to accommodate the iPhone X display, effectively rendering every iOS device not running iOS 11 as useless.

The only way to use these devices in the future would be to freeze every app at the current version and never update again.

Hmmmmm, sounds familiar . . .

Nay, nay, and thrice nay...

I'm sorry to be pedantic, but as I do a lot of technical authoring, (and not a little coding too), I just don't get the leap that is being made here... - again, I've just read that page, - it is but reportage of the original post on the developer page....

There seems to be an unsubstantiated (by anything thus far offered) leap of the imagination taking place here... - this announcement is merely mandating SUPPORT for the newer technologies, - it in no way implies or states withdrawal of support for all other versions... - precision of language is key here to understanding what this announcement is actually saying...

To be clear... I'm NOT asserting that Apple are NOT about to impose what is being suggested... perhaps they are, at this point, I can't say one way or the other, based on the announcements that have been proposed as "proof" - the text of the original announcement on the developer site, and the subsequent reporting of that announcement are NOT saying that end user devices must be running iOS 11 to use the app store...

I'll also point you to this page: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/08/how-to-download-old-versions-of-apps-from-the-app-store-on-an-older-iphone-or-ipad-that-cant-run-ios-11

Now, THAT page, truly gives more of a suggestion that end-user devices may be about to be mandated to run iOS11 in order to use the new revamped appstore... - but even this does not definitively state that all & every sub-iOS11 apple device will be effectively locked out of the appstore, which is pretty much what I understand to be being asserted by this topic... - quite the contrary in fact, since it highlights just how a sub-iOS11 device can use the appstore to get downlevel versions of apps you already own...

It's perfectly common and expected for them to demand support from developers for the newer devices, but this is not mutually exclusive with backwards compatibility with older devices...

So, it is to be the case that all apps that are in the store post July have to support iOS11 and iPhone X... it may well be the case that there is something implicit in that requirement that makes those apps no longer backwards compatible to pre 11... - Right now, I don't know that to be the case, and it is not implied by the announcement thus far presented.

Heck, I write enough code myself where one of the first things I do, is to discover the capabilities of the device it's running on, and be sure to use only whats available on that device... - doesn't have .NET framework 5 installed? then I don't call .NET5 exclusive methods.... if I can't achieve the required functionality with earlier .NET libraries, then I give a warning message & disable that part of the app...
Nobody ever "asserted" you were being "locked out of the app store" and you know it.

Here are the only two posts describing the consequences of this move by Apple:

OP:

And if your device can't run iOS 11, be prepared to not be able to update to the latest version of the app starting in July.

Me:

Care to show us where the assertion is that "all & every sub-iOS11 apple device will be effectively locked out of the appstore, which is pretty much what (you) understand to be being asserted by this topic"? That is just you putting words in people mouths and twisting reality to justify your love for Apple in the face of them doing basically what Sonos just did. Granted Apple does give you a way to access legacy apps, then again the devices they are obsoleting aren't 13 years old. Some are a quarter of that, in fact.
Userlevel 7
Luddites...the lot of you! Just kidd'n. 🆒 Hey...change happens. Either you move forward or get left behind and in this day and age change is inevitable. Oh...there's always Android:8

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So what is likely to happen?
a)On a device with iOS10.33, when sonos has an update, and you go to the app store from within the sonos update, you are then stuck in an eternal loop?
b)If someone in the house on iOS11 updates sonos, all sonos controllers stuck on iOS 10.33 are dead to sonos at that point?

any other synarios?