Question

Apple Products WiFi setup; controller help needed!

Apple Products WiFi setup; controller help needed! hi there; just unboxed a SONOS connect and want to set up the following setup: components available: -modem, built-in router, 1 LAN port -apple airport express, 1 LAN port, WiFi -1 iMac, internet/router connection shall be WiFi via apple airport express -1 MacBookAir, only WiFi via apple airport express -iPhone -SONOS connect (audio is given on to amplifier on to loudspeakers) initial setup: modem/router---SONOS connect---iMac (successful) operating mode (current): modem/router---SONOS connect---apple airport express---via WiFi to iMac (seems to work) ISSUES: this setup worked for initial setup of SONOS connect, but I intend to use system much more open - I would like to have: 1) iMac and iPhone as Controllers as well 2) later on; adding USB media HD 3) later on: adding Sonos Player (other rooms) questions: a) can I have several controllers run (iMac, MacBookAir, iPhone) at all? b) if so, how to get SONOS Controller running (connected) to SONOS connect for (b1) MacBookAir and (b2) iPhone? (with above setup, no wired connection possible, only WiFi) (I only managed to connect/install Controller on iMac via direct LAN cable into SONOS connect; but not the WiFi bound devices via WiFi) c) what other components I would have to look into to achieve my goal? Thanks for your help! Daniel

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
a. Yes, a Sonos system can have up to 32 devices - computers, phones, tablets, etc. - acting as controllers. b. With both devices connected to your Airport Express (just like your iMac is), you should be able to download the Sonos Controller software (for the Macbook Air) and app (for the iPhone). Each new controller will prompt to press buttons on a Sonos device (it doesn't matter which device) so that the controller can be added to the system. c. From the sound of it, as long as everything can connect to your Airport Express wireless, you're all set with everything you have. I'll continue with "Later On..." in a separate post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Later on... When you want to add your media hard drive... this is where things may get complex. First, I would recommend getting a network hard drive rather than a USB one. This way it sits right on your network, and all of your devices can access it if necessary. Also, network hard drives usually have the ability to also function as Time Machine backup drives, so you can use it to back up your computers in addition to storing your media. But since all of your wired connections to your router are used, in order to hook up a network hard drive you will need to get a small (4 or 5 port) switch. This will let you change your network around a bit too. You will connect the Switch to your router... then you can plug in the Sonos Connect, Airport Express, and your network hard drive all into the switch. If you got a 4-port switch, all usable ports will be filled. If you got a 5-port switch, then you have one left for future expansion. Of course, you also have the second port on your Sonos Connect that you can use too. As far as adding any additional Sonos speakers... Since you have the Sonos Connect wired to your network, any other Sonos components can be run wireless, and they will access your network and the internet through your Connect.
Hi Mike! thanks for your feedback; at least I feel comfortable that it should work... 🙂 the thing is, I can not connect with the SONOS connect from MacBookAir or iPhone while the setup is following: modem/router---SONOS---airport express is a 4 (or as you indicate 5) port switch the solution to all my questions/problems? just connecting like this??? modem/router---SWITCH--- SONOS connect / airport express /later on network drive and all works as I intend??? thanks for your reply again. Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes. The switch allows multiple devices to be connected to your modem/router. Many standalone routers have a 4-port switch built into them these days, to allow multiple devices to be connected to them. Everything should work just as it does now, just that they will all be connected to one point, rather than daisy-chained together.
Hi Mike, thanks for your input; b. With both devices connected to your Airport Express (just like your iMac is), you should be able to download the Sonos Controller software (for the Macbook Air) and app (for the iPhone). Each new controller will prompt to press buttons on a Sonos device (it doesn't matter which device) so that the controller can be added to the system. --> that is the problem: I can start the software but when connecting, it all fails 😞 (it only worked with the iMac with wired ethernet directly to Sonos) I did try the switch solution as well, but does not work either...
Apple Airport Extreme solved all issues; bought, installed, set-up new network, connected with Controller software; done. So I believe not possible to set up with Airport Express (generation with only 1 ethernet-port)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you have the Airport Express set up in Bridge mode or router mode? If it was set in router mode, then anything connected to the Airport Express would be on a separate network than anything that was in the wired chain. Bridge mode means that it will work simply as a wireless access point, and add wireless access to the existing network created by your modem/router. But the end result is that you got it working. Good to hear! Also... since you now have a router with a USB port that is able to support a hard drive, you could simply hook up a USB drive to your Airport Extreme. For info on how to set this up with Sonos, see this support article: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/657 Or you could still go the route of using a regular network hard drive... either way should work just fine.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings